Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times

Advertisements

Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but recently I heard that there was a tire with retractable studs. How they work I don't know, but the studs can be turned in or out manually.
Or is this some Myth?......I heard it from a truck driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but recently I heard that there was a tire with retractable studs. How they work I don't know, but the studs can be turned in or out manually.
Truth. I saw a short video about them a year or so ago. A decent concept, but I'm afraid I'm going to be a skeptic until I actually see some in day to day action and not a sales/concept video.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Truth. I saw a short
video about them a year or so ago. A decent concept, but I'm afraid I'm going to be a skeptic until I actually see some in day to day action and not a sales/concept video.
Me too. For one thing there is the mechanics involved coupled together with the technology required to keep a tire balanced and performing as it should at highway speeds.

Betcha they would not be very cost effective either.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Truth. I saw a short
video about them a year or so ago. A decent concept, but I'm afraid I'm going to be a skeptic until I actually see some in day to day action and not a sales/concept video.
Im afraid the cost of one of these tires would not be worth buying anyways. A regular tire costs enough. These tires would be double...at least! Oops...and I see perferator mentioned that...I totally agree.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
As a Mechanic, I feel that too many things can go wrong (moving parts) and they would end up costing XXXX more than they're worth.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Here in Upper Michigan serious winter tires are a real consideration. Real Yoopers always carry a set of chains in the trunk...or the P/U bed....along with some caned food and a few blankets. Sometimes , chains are the only thing that will get you out of the woods....other than that our highways are well plowed, so are our city streets, and Ice is not the problem it is for you downstate folks.
The problem with chains is getting out and under , installing them on a snowy side of the road, or in a blizzard.....not a pleasant thought !... So far , my winter tires and 4 x 4 have plowed through any place I have needed to go...including my vertical driveway. ( I keep it plowed from the top down).... Its all about thinking ahead ...where ever you live , not just up here!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Here in Upper Michigan serious winter tires are a real consideration. Real Yoopers always carry a set of chains in the trunk...or the P/U bed....along with some caned food and a few blankets. Sometimes , chains are the only thing that will get you out of the woods....other than that our highways are well plowed, so are our city streets, and Ice is not the problem it is for you downstate folks.
The problem with chains is getting out and under , installing them on a snowy side of the road, or in a blizzard.....not a pleasant thought !... So far , my winter tires and 4 x 4 have plowed through any place I have needed to go...including my vertical driveway. ( I keep it plowed from the top down).... Its all about thinking ahead ...where ever you live , not just up here!
I dont like putting on chains when you have to. We chained up before coming down off the Flatops Region above Rifle/Meeker Colorado back in the bad storm of Oct '06. Not fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan