Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,780 times

Advertisements

Okay so this summer my friend and I will be transferring to NMU and moving to Marquette. We are both 20 years old from the okay state of Louisiana. Before you even start typing a reply, yes, I know, it's cold up there. REALLY cold. And there's snow. LOTS of snow. I understand this and I'm completely okay with it. I've had enough of sweating in November anyways.

So basically I was hoping someone could give me some pointers, tips, advice, whatever's helpful. Also a brief rundown of what it's like living there and things to do around town would be great as well. We're going visit the campus in about a month, but other than that, we're practically going in blind. We also won't be living on campus (Dorms usually aren't pet friendly and my parrot goes where I go) so that'll be another thing to worry about. Any advice, tips, anecdotes, etc. that you are willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Marquette is one of the nicest, coolest cities in the U.S! Its right on one Lake Superior, the nicest freshwater lake in the U.S...Marquette is awesome! You will love it!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Marquette residents here. We absolutely LOVE this place.

I wouldn't worry to much about finding a place to live with your parrot. There are tons of off campus housing throughout the city here (complexes, converted houses, etc.).
If possible, I would start apartment shopping in May. That's when the great exodus of students moving around begins, with many vying for the best apartments.
To get a feel for prices, you'll want to keep an eye on Craigslist, the newspaper website (miningjournal.net), and the off campus housing list through the NMU website Off Campus Housing*| NMU Dean of Students

Unless you have a car (actually..... even if you have a car) plan on getting a bike to get around during the nicer months. Marquette is very bike friendly and the whole place is more fitness oriented then the average city.
I can't give you any advice about student life at NMU because I've never been there as a student.
Things to do....... Seriously, I'm having trouble thinking of things you're not able to do here?? If you're into a varied wild & crazy night life...... you may find the city lacking. But if you're into outdoor recreation, the arts, green/natural living, or many other things... you'll never lack for things to do.

Tell us more about your hobbies, likes, and passions and then we can give you better pointers.

As long as you're prepared for the winters, I'm sure you'll both absolutely love it up here

Oh yeah..... don't be afraid to call on places that say "No Pets". Every place we've lived here all said "No Pets" and we have a large dog and a cat. We're just great at showing that we're trustworthy (and always offer to pay an additional pet deposit). Anyhow most of those ads are in regards to cats/dogs anyways....... not to many people think about parrots

Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
If you like the outdoors you will never lack for things to do in Marquette. Downhill skiing, snowmobiling, Fishing is unreal there and of course hunting. If you are into hunting and fishing it will take some time to get used to the game and fish we have up here in Michigan. It is so very different than the game and fish of the deep south. Marquette in my opinion has the nicest scenery in the entire state. Paradise on Lake Superior.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 AM

217 posts, read 591,592 times
The local hangout for college students seems to be Upfront and company. Upfront & Company

Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
no worries, very laid back. There is even a Cajun place up here. marquettecajun.com

Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I wouldn't buy anymore summer clothes

Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
Having gone to HS and college in Marquette I can tell you that, if you are physically fit, a car isn't usually a problem. It's fairly condensed as towns go. I DID say physically fit -- as in, if you want to shop at the co-op you'll have to walk a couple of miles -- but there is a grocery store near campus. the bus service is NOT what you may be used to but it doesn't suck that bad.

Off campus housing can be very cool -- a lot of victorians split into apartments. Yes it IS cold, winter is insanely long. You will meet some of the nicest people on the face of the earth. The education at NMU is topnotch (comparing myself to comparable grads from other uni's when I was fresh and young). There is an amazing amount of music and art and great appreciation for it for such a small town. Going shopping isn't something you can make a hobby because the isolation that has already been mentioned is very very real.

For what it's worth I moved south when I graduated college and would LOVE to go back and stay now -- the job market isn't awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan