Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,889 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Marquette and I have a couple of questions. How's the job market? I'm a cook with a lot of fine dining experience so I'll likely be looking for work as a chef, sous chef, or line cook but I'll do just about anything that pays the bills. Also, what's the dating scene like? Is it a good place to meet women in their mid to late 20s? If anyone has any other thoughts on Marquette or Michigan in general, I'd love to hear those, too. I'm looking for a place to call home, so I want to hear it all, good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 PM

119 posts, read 284,663 times
O.K. here you go. The job market stinks as it does in all the U.P. If you come, have a job lined up first or have plenty of scratch to live on. There are some jobs but they are low paying for the most part. The weather is great if you like winter. Summers are short and cool. A few hot days sprinkled in now and then. Marquette is home to NMU so there are a lot of early 20's women around. Cost of living is not bad. If you have a good paying job you can do well. Crime is low. Most of it is minor drinking/drug stuff. On that note, drinking is the major pastime. If it should ever become an Olympic sport the U.P. would take the gold, silver and bronze every time. In a nutshell it's not for everyone. You either like it or you don't.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 12,889 times
Thanks! Not worried about the weather, I'm from Minnesota so I'm used to harsh winters. I really appreciate the input, I'll basically be packing up my entire life and relocating so I want to make the right decision.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 AM

39 posts, read 98,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwh View Post
Thanks! Not worried about the weather, I'm from Minnesota so I'm used to harsh winters. I really appreciate the input, I'll basically be packing up my entire life and relocating so I want to make the right decision.
I can respect where you're coming from but why the heck would you think Marquette was the place to go? There is nowhere in the UP that has a strong job market, even in good times.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,831 times
Default Moving to Marquette without a car

I am 52 years old and in good shape and would like to live in downtown Marquette without a car. Is that possible?

Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 PM

351 posts, read 796,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaHicks View Post
I am 52 years old and in good shape and would like to live in downtown Marquette without a car. Is that possible?
Marquette is a very walkable/bikeable community so not having a car is doable. Marquette is the strongest economy in the UP by far and is better than a lot of Michigan right now. There are more apts being built as there is somewhat of a shortage right now. Duke is buying the Hospital and will be investing millions in it along with more doctor recruitment etc...There are huge plans for the old Sara Lee bakery on Washington and Lincoln ( banking, office, and residential) A new nickle mine is about to start producing and Founders Landing is still expanding( new Hampton Inn with commercial space coming. The Economy is not booming but it is doing better than holding its own. The photo shows the plans for the former Sara Lee Bakery.

Waterfront Condos & Commercial Space | The Landing | Marquette

Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM

24 posts, read 59,095 times
You should have no problem finding work as a chef in Marquette. There is a growing market for high-end restaurants there as a result of the high paying hospital and university jobs. Look downtown at places like Elizabeth's Chop House, Lagniappe, and L'Attitude. Look downtown near the waterfront for some nice places to work.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Here we are 2 years later.......Marquette is still here, growing and all the projects predicted 2 years ago have come to pas....except one ,the New Hospital. ( should hear any day now about its new location ). Some things do not change, high prices for rentals, shortage of mid range homes , lack of skilled workers . If anything, living here only gets better, that is with one exception......US 41 which is constantly busy all day long. There are back ups , daily accidents , just about the same as any place downstate that is prospering. A recent survey in Marquette Township counted 39,000 vehicles in a day !..... And they just keep building more on this long strip of franchise row, it now extends in to Negaunee Township, .

Don't let the one issue, US 41 discourage you from coming. It's my 7 year and I can 't think of anyplace I would want to live....in the warmer months anyway than right here in Metro Marquette.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,154 times
Alex,

How did your decision turn out? I am currently in the same predicament. I have a good job in Chicago, but hate city living and don't want to be here the rest of my life. I'm pretty well established here and now have the opportunity to accept a position in Negaunee, Mi. I'm currently single, 22 years old and in a pretty good position financially (some money saved and no debt, own everything I have) as I have been working for the last 4-5 years. I've always been fond of the UP and Marquette seems like the best place to find work and start over. I know no one in the UP, have some family in Northern WI and I wouldn't be able to start taking many classes at NMU right away as I will have a full time position. I would love to go back to school and finish my degree but will mostly be limited to online courses due to a 8-5 Mon-Fri work schedule. I'm an outdoorsman and I cannot stand driving 2-3 hours any time I want to get to a remotely natural place.

Anyone who has any advice please chime in, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Nate

Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoffman94 View Post
Alex,

How did your decision turn out? I am currently in the same predicament. I have a good job in Chicago, but hate city living and don't want to be here the rest of my life. I'm pretty well established here and now have the opportunity to accept a position in Negaunee, Mi. I'm currently single, 22 years old and in a pretty good position financially (some money saved and no debt, own everything I have) as I have been working for the last 4-5 years. I've always been fond of the UP and Marquette seems like the best place to find work and start over. I know no one in the UP, have some family in Northern WI and I wouldn't be able to start taking many classes at NMU right away as I will have a full time position. I would love to go back to school and finish my degree but will mostly be limited to online courses due to a 8-5 Mon-Fri work schedule. I'm an outdoorsman and I cannot stand driving 2-3 hours any time I want to get to a remotely natural place.

Anyone who has any advice please chime in, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Nate
Chicago is the place to spend your formative years in business, my advice is stick it out, climb the ladder as I did , then when the time is right,move to Marquette. It's not going anywhere, much better to arrive here with proper funds, then invest and live the good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan