Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 03:34 PM

119 posts, read 207,821 times

Advertisements

Like so many others,my wife,daughter and I are looking for a place to move out of NJ.The other day a couple came into the store I work at,an outdoor store where I sell firearms,we struck up a conversation,turns out the are from the UP,the Soo and have been in NJ for four years and can't wait to go back to the UP.I asked thaem about it,having read a bit about it,they said while jobs weren't plentiful,the cost of living was so much less.Good people,low taxes and lots of snow.My wife drives a school bus and I sell guns and have a small landscape/snowplowing company,what would be the job outlook for us?They suggested we look into Marquett.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,098,142 times
I was born in the Soo.

Marquette is better.

If you can do things on your own and live cheaply, then da U.P. is for you.

I understand that you have black bear issues in Jersey on occasion.....there are many more in northern MI. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,907,043 times
The U.P is Gods country and Lake superior can heal your soul. If you like the slower paced life and nature...you may just make it. Marquette is a fantastic city....one of Three places In the world I would move to if I had the chance. Even though I do not live there, I can tell you it is not for everyone...the solitude, long winters, and lack of jobs are usually what do people in. I would try to vacation there for a week in the summer, and again in the winter to give you a taste of what to expect. Good luck, and you will hear more from the experts.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,644,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
The U.P is Gods country and Lake superior can heal your soul. If you like the slower paced life and nature...you may just make it. Marquette is a fantastic city....one of Three places In the world I would move to if I had the chance. Even though I do not live there, I can tell you it is not for everyone...the solitude, long winters, and lack of jobs are usually what do people in. I would try to vacation there for a week in the summer, and again in the winter to give you a taste of what to expect. Good luck, and you will hear more from the experts.
mmm,

I do believe what you say about Lake Superior being able to heal your soul. Her powers are surely mighty.

Luzette

Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,820,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
Like so many others,my wife,daughter and I are looking for a place to move out of NJ.The other day a couple came into the store I work at,an outdoor store where I sell firearms,we struck up a conversation,turns out the are from the UP,the Soo and have been in NJ for four years and can't wait to go back to the UP.I asked thaem about it,having read a bit about it,they said while jobs weren't plentiful,the cost of living was so much less.Good people,low taxes and lots of snow.My wife drives a school bus and I sell guns and have a small landscape/snowplowing company,what would be the job outlook for us?They suggested we look into Marquett.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

New Jersey to anywhere in Michigan is major culture shock, New Jersey to northern Michigan is even more of an extreme culture shock. One thing ive noticed when I have visited NJ is that there are people EVERYWHERE. Things are open all the time, and any urban amenity you can dream of is available. Michigan is not like that at all. Most of the state is rural, the UP is beyond rural as most of it is wilderness. I lived in the Soo for years and I loved it, but many people do not. I knew of people who moved to the UP in June,(usually from outside the midwest) thought it was paradise until it started snowing in Sept and didnt stop until late April. It takes a person who loves a rugged enviroment to enjoy the UP. Hunting, Fishing, snowmobiling, these are the things people do in Michigan, especially the UP. If you want a slower pace, like a very changeable climate, enjoy alot of forest and lake country then you may love the UP. The wages are low but so is the cost of living. Even Michigans biggest cities would be considered dirt cheap compared to the states out east. If you decide you do want to move to northern Michigan then I agree with a previous poster when he suggested Marquette over the Soo. I love the Soo but have to admit Marquette is nicer. Also in northern lower Michigan check out Traverse city, there is a bit more there as far as shopping and things to do but still a very nice place. Many here in Michigan would say Traverse city is the nicest city in the state.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM

119 posts, read 207,821 times
Thanks all for the response.Before I waste anyone else's time,I'm thinking that the UP isin't going to be much different than what we found looking into northern New England,except futher away.I've come to think that theres no place left in the NE or UP for that matter that we can expect to have a higher standard of living than where we are now in NJ.Theres appears good reason why so many look South for the best place to live and it seem we'll be folowing in their footsteps of exploring those areas.Thank you all again for your time and help.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,393,004 times
I've never been to Maine (or anywhere east of Rochester, NY, for that matter), but from what I've read and heard, the northern third of Maine and the U.P. have much in common.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,419,764 times
It's like Truckee but with less snow and much, much lower costs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan