Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Ive gotten several friends to vacation in Michigan, and they all loved it and want to go back. Whenever I get a chance I also post many photos of Michigan on these boards, opening many eyes to Michigan's beauty. When I retire, Michigan is very high on the list of places, I love it there. IMO its the nation's best kept secret. Minus the economy right now, I will say that youre all lucky to live in such a beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM

38 posts, read 105,838 times
Default Negative is Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Isn't it sad? Never in my life, have I seen so many negative things said, until I joined this board. And honestly, it's half the reason I rarely post here anymore.

Unfortunately, there are just some people in life who are happiest when they are putting others down and being negative. I think your posts were great, and I hope you keep them coming!
Does Michigan need to put a banner up that says the following: 'DEPRESSED AREA, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!' I agree, so much negativity. Yes, times are tough here in Michigan but negativity breeds negativity. I certainly have better things to do than listen to people whining all the time and acting as though someone just pulled the rug out from underneath them. If I leave Michigan, it won't be because the state doesn't have much to offer, but because of the attitude here. I've lived in states where new residents from Michigan would be told to get a grip and drop the attitude or leave. I know for many, this may be hard to hear, but "if the shoe fits, wear it".

That being said, isn't it time that we take a good look at ourselves and stop blaming everybody else for the economy, job and housing market. In my opinion, higher education is the key. For years, Michigan has been dependent on blue collar jobs that didn't require a lot of education and now that we've lost so much of the auto industry, we're suffering. Evidently, this state didn't read the signs. We weren't pro-active enough to prepare for the inevitable and now we're in trouble. Well, who do you blame for that...everyone else! I think not. We need to take responsibility and put the blame where it belongs.

Sure, we have a Government that's dysfunctional, politicians who aren't able to work together and can't or won't deal with Immigration Policy/Border enforcement or establish a reasonable way to get us out of Iraq. Additionally, they seem to be driven by special interest groups, who don't represent the will of the people but continue to tax us anyway.

I could go on and on but here's a partial list of what I think we need to look at:

1) Don't re-elect the incumbent politicians.
2) Establish and maintain term limits for all politicians.
3) Stop those that think Michigan is a haven for welfare.
4) Be your own person.
5) Lighten' up a bit.
6) Stop being so judgmental
7) Quite imposing your values on others and embrace the qualities that make us different.
8) Be friendly and kind to one another, regardless of where they're from or what their walk in life is.
9) Stop antiquated/legacy thinking and be progressive.

Do I think there are people in this state with some of the above values (and more) stated above? Yes, many...but there are just as many who don't. And for those of you, I say get rid of your red neck attitude and start acting like a descent human being and just maybe, the state of our state will improve. For me, it's all about attitude and NO, I don't have all the answers, but I do think the for-mentioned is a good place to start. Call it a short term goal with long term effects. Then...maybe, we can move forward and be competitive with the rest of the country.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 PM

133 posts, read 357,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmhastings View Post
Does Michigan need to put a banner up that says the following: 'DEPRESSED AREA, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!' I agree, so much negativity. Yes, times are tough here in Michigan but negativity breeds negativity. I certainly have better things to do than listen to people whining all the time and acting as though someone just pulled the rug out from underneath them. If I leave Michigan, it won't be because the state doesn't have much to offer, but because of the attitude here. I've lived in states where new residents from Michigan would be told to get a grip and drop the attitude or leave. I know for many, this may be hard to hear, but "if the shoe fits, wear it".

That being said, isn't it time that we take a good look at ourselves and stop blaming everybody else for the economy, job and housing market. In my opinion, higher education is the key. For years, Michigan has been dependent on blue collar jobs that didn't require a lot of education and now that we've lost so much of the auto industry, we're suffering. Evidently, this state didn't read the signs. We weren't pro-active enough to prepare for the inevitable and now we're in trouble. Well, who do you blame for that...everyone else! I think not. We need to take responsibility and put the blame where it belongs.

Sure, we have a Government that's dysfunctional, politicians who aren't able to work together and can't or won't deal with Immigration Policy/Border enforcement or establish a reasonable way to get us out of Iraq. Additionally, they seem to be driven by special interest groups, who don't represent the will of the people but continue to tax us anyway.

I could go on and on but here's a partial list of what I think we need to look at:

1) Don't re-elect the incumbent politicians.
2) Establish and maintain term limits for all politicians.
3) Stop those that think Michigan is a haven for welfare.
4) Be your own person.
5) Lighten' up a bit.
7) Quite imposing your values on others and embrace the qualities that make us different.
8) Be friendly and kind to one another, regardless of where they're from or what their walk in life is.

Do I think there are people in this state with some of the above values (and more) stated above? Yes, many...but there are just as many who don't. And for those of you, I say get rid of your red neck attitude and start acting like a descent human being and just maybe, the state of our state will improve. For me, it's all about attitude and NO, I don't have all the answers, but I do think the for-mentioned is a good place to start. Call it a short term goal with long term effects. Then...maybe, we can move forward and be competitive with the rest of the country.

I agree wiith you on most of what you have said,the first and foremost thing is to get rid of the garbage holding back the good people,and there are many there.The people of Michigan are in a position to change the face of politics here and now as we know it,vote out the incumbents and vote in independents.Showing the rest of the country a new way to to business,both at a local and federal level.It is your's for the taking,all you have to do is reach for it.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 PM

265 posts, read 814,135 times
When I relocate to get job with decent pay and benefits, I will create a job vacancy for some other person who is most likely unemployed. I guess that will be my contribution.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,855 times
Default Michigan

I understand when people get upset with some who think they can lala their way into good times.
I also understand people who just do not want to deal with reality.
Reality bites sometimes.
But it is still reality.
The housing market is in very bad shape and getting worse. people who are getting bids on their homes are getting bids way under asking price. It seems the sharks smell blood in the water.
I also do not believe the numbers stated for marquette. I relocated to the south this past winter and you can skew the numbers very easly to hide the reality of a situation, see the white house and how they stated the economy was the best in history. lol.
In my new area it was just stated that the homes sales price was up for median home pricing, but numbers were down.
If you know how to realy read this, It breaks down to reality this way, Since the sub prime meltdown, you are taking out the low priced home sales from the median home sales. When you do this you leave the few higher priced homes that have sold to devide up to arrive at the median home price, now the price is higher and you have sold fewer homes to get there, this does not mean that the price of homes is going up.
The person who started this thread obviously wants to see how her part of the ship is not sinking. I understand but it is also not reality.
The up will never do as well as the lower, at least in our life time.
The lower is where all the money for the up comes from.

So when people do not understand simple economics I can also understand others who do flaming them even though they should do it in a kind way.
I have been to marquette and it is a big city in the up, maybe the biggest, but is is nothing compared to even a traverse city, and tc is down in sales.
So when usa today states numbers that are not showing the way things are, I understand when people get upset. Just try to set people strait in a kind way as they are just trying to keep their mind from exploding with all that is going on with michigan and not much of it good. remember snow is comming. and marquette gets the crap beat out of it from the lakes when the witch comes early.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogetib View Post
I understand when people get upset with some who think they can lala their way into good times.
I also understand people who just do not want to deal with reality.
Reality bites sometimes.
But it is still reality.
The housing market is in very bad shape and getting worse. people who are getting bids on their homes are getting bids way under asking price. It seems the sharks smell blood in the water.
I also do not believe the numbers stated for marquette. I relocated to the south this past winter and you can skew the numbers very easly to hide the reality of a situation, see the white house and how they stated the economy was the best in history. lol.
In my new area it was just stated that the homes sales price was up for median home pricing, but numbers were down.
If you know how to realy read this, It breaks down to reality this way, Since the sub prime meltdown, you are taking out the low priced home sales from the median home sales. When you do this you leave the few higher priced homes that have sold to devide up to arrive at the median home price, now the price is higher and you have sold fewer homes to get there, this does not mean that the price of homes is going up.
The person who started this thread obviously wants to see how her part of the ship is not sinking. I understand but it is also not reality.
The up will never do as well as the lower, at least in our life time.
The lower is where all the money for the up comes from.

So when people do not understand simple economics I can also understand others who do flaming them even though they should do it in a kind way.
I have been to marquette and it is a big city in the up, maybe the biggest, but is is nothing compared to even a traverse city, and tc is down in sales.
So when usa today states numbers that are not showing the way things are, I understand when people get upset. Just try to set people strait in a kind way as they are just trying to keep their mind from exploding with all that is going on with michigan and not much of it good. remember snow is comming. and marquette gets the crap beat out of it from the lakes when the witch comes early.
First post ever and you just happen to bump into this thread.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 AM

136 posts, read 482,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
First post ever and you just happen to bump into this thread.
Ya gotta start somewhere.
His point is valid. Median or average home prices are a poor indicator of the market. It is heavily infuenced by the balance of high end and low end housing. Ideally you'd look at resales of the same home or of identical (tract) homes to see price trends.
When a house 2 down from mine, and most similar in quality, went to foreclosure it eventually was sold 15% below what it sold for 3 years ago. It was in fine condition. Yet my assessor insists prices are up based on a local market heavily skewed by the high end. They upped my SEV 11% over the same 3 years. Going to the review board cut my increase to 10% - BFD, That's the most insulting part. I'm struggling, working harder and making less every year, while government extorts pay increases for itself.
Michigan IS a great place to live if you are rich or have a good income. Its not so great for the working poor. And government seems to have most people convinced that a general tax increase is the only way to restore happiness. That only squeezes the poor more. They won't be happy until we are all expelled from the state and they are left with a population of rich pensioners they refuse to tax. Perhaps if there was at least talk of means testing pensions and social security or other efforts to eliminate the regressive tax structure I might have a more positive outlook.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times
Default good things going

Just wanted to add that MI has a lot of things going for it.

Case in point.... I have lived in OR and MI, and had the exact same sad thing happen to me in both places, unfortunatly.... I becaame involved in a sadly neglected child. In Oregon when I told the police, they didn'' have the time or manpower to respond, even though this child was showing up on my doorstep every day after school, crossing a 4 lane busy road by himself at age 5, and spending his entire after school without supervision. Child protective agency and teh school both told me that they could do nothing unless there was physical signs of abuse. Their case loads were too high.

Same thing happened to us recently here... found a 5 yr old boy alone in a public place far away from his home, no adults to speak of. Here the police responded right away, started a case on him, and even called to follow up and to thank me for reporting it. WOW!

I live in a tiny town and I know funding is getting harder to come by, but Michigan is far from going down the toilet. It's alive and well, and has a ton of things going for it.

I agree. Stop complaining and help out where you can. I volunteer in the community. That's something many people do here that you see very little of out West. There are more kid-friendly activities here that are totalyl free. Festivals here are more focused on families than commerce. Medical care is incredibly available and affordable. If you check out stats, MI has some of the best health care in the nation! The schools are incredible. Everyone in town is complaining that our kids for the first time EVER had to buy school supplies... It was 3-4 small items.... HELLO....... In Louisiana, our school lists growing up were a full pages. In Oregon, my kids had to buy kleenez and hand soap as well as everything that they needed supply-wise for the class... pencils, paper, erasers, etc....

It's not just this board that likes to complain. I think so many people here have never lived anywhere else, so have not much to compare it too. It's still a great place to live.

I'm fed up with politics too, but it's no different anywhere else.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 AM

485 posts, read 966,564 times
Quote:

Do I think there are people in this state with some of the above values (and more) stated above? Yes, many...but there are just as many who don't. And for those of you, I say get rid of your red neck attitude and start acting like a descent human being and just maybe, the state of our state will improve.
I'd say this is rather comical to urge others to stop judging, imposing values on others, be friendly or kind to everyone, etc. etc. then immediately urging 1/2 of the folks ("there are just as many") to get rid of a red-neck attitude and start acting like a decent human being (and according to whose values is "decent"???). If someone is a "redneck" (whatever that means) don't they have qualities that make them different and need to be appreciated? Or do they need to fit your mold of what decent is before you "embrace" any of their "qualities"?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
Comparing the UP to downstate is apples and oranges. I own property up here and I wasnt becoming equity rich in the recent real estate "boom" and im not losing my arse in the bust. Thats what you get in a prepetually depressed economy like the UP. You work meanial jobs live in one of the lowest cost of living areas (especially with regard to real estae) in the country and learn to accept those conditions to stay. Theres a few more real estate signs on the streets but if I want to drop the price of one of my properties 15% to sell it the hit isnt that bad.

Big tadpole, little mudpuddle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan