Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 AM

494 posts, read 804,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
When I read this thread, or any political thread on Michigan - same question always comes back to me - MICHIGAN IS A BLUE STATE? HOW?

I don't think I've ever heard of a 'Michigan liberal', although I assume they might exist in Ann Arbor.

But, on the thread, I'm mostly reading conservatives on the offensive...which seems to be the typical MI theme that I usually see, online or offline in regards to Michigan.

But, I get that the factories, the loss of jobs, the potential protection of jobs, etc. create voters who vote Democrat despite not having anything in common with the types of people who vote Democratic in, say, Oregon, or somewhere that also votes Democratic, and seem to speak in more 'liberal utopia' type of talk.
FYI.. Most true to form liberals don't care much for too much government either. Think of what liberal implies.. LIBERATED aka FREE and thus not tied down by massive government. Only thing that is honestly liberal with the dem party are the pro abortion crowd and the Gay/lesbian etc movement. Those are liberal causes. The pro big government stuff is not. Same sort of thing that has happened with the other side and thus neoconservatives that are ( falsely i might add ) commonly referred to as conservative nowadays which they are not. Not where fiscal/small government matters are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Ok, it seems once a conservative always a Reagan fan.regardless of the truth. You have your talking points now,for a President you defend, Ok fine, but if you are telling. me Reagan did not contribute to the Government spending,maybe it's you that need to go back and check the history books .

Obama has doubled America's debt, and nobody seems to care. Where is the outrage?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Obama has doubled America's debt, and nobody seems to care. Where is the outrage?
He has not. That is just Foxspeak. Obama, for one thing, put two wars on the books where they belonged in the first place.
Republican guru D. Cheney says debt doesn't matter, so you're saying Cheney doesn't know what he's talking about. If the debt was 10 trillion up to the election of Obama (now 14 trillion), please explain why you were happy with a rising debt back then. Money was better spent?
Try some real data rather than parroting anti-Obama radio.
CBO: Exploding debt under Obama policies - David Rogers - POLITICO.com
See the "nearly" doubling projection? The year 2022!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I grew up in Michigan and went to college in Michigan.

Regarding 'liberals', it sounds like we have different definitions of 'liberal'.

My definition of 'Liberals' are people who believe in gay rights, strongly support public transportation initiatives, pro-education, want healthcare for all citizens, like to watch NPR, appear off-put by guns, hesitant about war, etc.

Generally speaking, people who vote 'blue' in places like Michigan, are usually what we call 'Blue Dog Democrats'. They just simply do not have liberal agendas or interests whatsoever, by any stretch.
Well, across the country - about 40 percent are conservative, about 40 percent are moderate, and about 20 percent are liberal. Liberals are in the minority in Michigan. They're in the minority everywhere, even in liberal states such as Massachusetts. They would only fly in isolated enclaves. If a candidate who was "liberal" ran against a candidate who was "not liberal," the not liberal candidate would win in a landslide everywhere.

But not everyone who votes for Democrats is a liberal. Still, they probably have some liberal positions and certainly shouldn't be confused for conservatives.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
How did 8 years of Granholm improve Michigan?

Unfortunately there will be exceptions to the rule..the question now is will Snyder go the way Walker in Wisconsin is headed or will Snyder last through his term?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Yes , You have been listing to Fox Noise way to much ! They distort the truth to fit a right wing agenda, every day. Then you have as your Spokesperson good ol Rush Limbaugh who laughs all the way to the bank after he gets his following sheep all riled up. The next poster has it summed up , and is right on. Listen to sane minds and not the talking Points for the less informed, who, the GOP has attracted in large numbers, right along with the Moral majority....o , I guess its now called the tea party, and the fundamentalist religious nuts, like Rick Sanatorium ...who panders daily to please these people. And you say you want less Government in our personal lives ? Thats not what comes out of their mouths. Its getting harder to keep track, a score card, of who says the most flip flops of the day. Its no wonder the Public is confused, too much false information !

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Unfortunately there will be exceptions to the rule..the question now is will Snyder go the way Walker in Wisconsin is headed or will Snyder last through his term?
I think the People of Michigan know now they made the wrong choice, it would not surprise me to see him sent packing !

Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Well, across the country - about 40 percent are conservative, about 40 percent are moderate, and about 20 percent are liberal. Liberals are in the minority in Michigan. They're in the minority everywhere, even in liberal states such as Massachusetts. They would only fly in isolated enclaves. If a candidate who was "liberal" ran against a candidate who was "not liberal," the not liberal candidate would win in a landslide everywhere.

But not everyone who votes for Democrats is a liberal. Still, they probably have some liberal positions and certainly shouldn't be confused for conservatives.
At one time most of the voting people considered themselves Democrats. Johnson knew that what he was about to do, for humanity, would turn the south over towards the Conservative side....and yes it did happen, but it was still the right thing to do.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Walker is doing what is needed to get spending under control.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Are you using the classical "liberal" definition, or the Carl Rove dictionary rewrite? If right-wing media labels someone a liberal it just means someone to the left of fascism.
Another Fox misrepresentation is that the terms "Democrat" and "liberal" are synonymous and they trot either one out as it suits their purpose-of-the-moment.
Is Michigan a blue state? It appears that many who vote do so against their own interests based upon the "information" they receive from the dominant media (such as seniors on medicare and SS voting Republican). Yep, some believe that Democrats want to destroy these programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan