Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:52 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

I'm still looking for party stores in Phoenix.

Enjoy your summer, water people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 01:18 PM

29 posts, read 13,968 times
Me from Tennessee, think Michigan has great people, but not great weather.
I've visited before

Last edited by nslpauvilus; 05-21-2021 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: more details

Old 05-21-2021, 01:39 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
When I think of Michigan, I think of blue-collar white ethnic Chicago where I grew up: Italians, Irish, Poles, Czechs, Lithuanians. Some are (former) industrial workers, others are just the guy in your bike shop. Socially moderate union-type Democrats. Maybe this is more specifically Detroit/Flint/Saginaw/Bay City/Kalamazoo, idk how much GR/Lansing are like this.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:11 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
When I think of Michigan, I think of blue-collar white ethnic Chicago where I grew up: Italians, Irish, Poles, Czechs, Lithuanians. Some are (former) industrial workers, others are just the guy in your bike shop. Socially moderate union-type Democrats. Maybe this is more specifically Detroit/Flint/Saginaw/Bay City/Kalamazoo, idk how much GR/Lansing are like this.

Yes, there are a good deal of blue-collar workers. A lot of white-collar workers, too. I would say fewer Lithuanians.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:52 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,118 times
Writing this from my motel room in Alpena. Still on my trip to see what NE lower MI could offer with retirement in mind, and I feel mixed. Prior to my trip, I figured the area's people would be generally reserved, but some areas seem downright 'insular', even unfriendly to me. Started my stay in the Tawas area and really enjoyed the cabin I had. It was pretty remote, but not far from town. The area is clean with a lot of nice places to explore. If the right housing showed up, I think this would be a nice place to live.

My visits to Presque Isle and Rogers City were pleasant with generally pleasant folk encountered. The beauty of Presque Isle is amazing. Could see myself settling down in PI if the right housing came up. Of all of the places I have visited, Presque Isle felt the 'best' overall.

Can't say Alpena/Alpena area is for me. Do not like the vibe of the area at all and that is a shame - The place seems to have a ton of interesting activities esp for its small size. This area, in particular, is exactly as I had not hoped the NE lower not to be... Unwelcoming, openly rude/borderline rude, unfriendly, and a strong prevailing feeling you would never belong if desired. VERY, VERY heavy church influence that did not suit me at all. My small view of the elephant.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:49 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Writing this from my motel room in Alpena. Still on my trip to see what NE lower MI could offer with retirement in mind, and I feel mixed. Prior to my trip, I figured the area's people would be generally reserved, but some areas seem downright 'insular', even unfriendly to me. Started my stay in the Tawas area and really enjoyed the cabin I had. It was pretty remote, but not far from town. The area is clean with a lot of nice places to explore. If the right housing showed up, I think this would be a nice place to live.

My visits to Presque Isle and Rogers City were pleasant with generally pleasant folk encountered. The beauty of Presque Isle is amazing. Could see myself settling down in PI if the right housing came up. Of all of the places I have visited, Presque Isle felt the 'best' overall.

Can't say Alpena/Alpena area is for me. Do not like the vibe of the area at all and that is a shame - The place seems to have a ton of interesting activities esp for its small size. This area, in particular, is exactly as I had not hoped the NE lower not to be... Unwelcoming, openly rude/borderline rude, unfriendly, and a strong prevailing feeling you would never belong if desired. VERY, VERY heavy church influence that did not suit me at all. My small view of the elephant.
Interesting, didn't know that about Alpena. It does seem to be a place that has been left far behind, and doesn't really get the influx of outsiders or tourists very much at all compared to the NW lower Michigan.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:48 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
This has been my experience with anyplace north of Mt Pleasant - or anywhere rural north of Lansing.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
8 Mile, Four Brothers, Gran Torino

All three will catch you up on what's been going down in the D recently.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:33 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:

What is your draw to the Lake Huron side over the Lake Michigan side? In my experience the Lake Huron side is more rural/remote in a way that reflects the mindset of the cities further south in the I-75 corridor. I know the Lake Michigan side is more touristy and I think you're trying to avoid that, but I would think it would feel less insular. Though TBH I've never payed attention enough to know if there's a difference. They definitely feel different because most of the areas on Lk MI side of the mitten are still gaining residents where the Huron side is more stagnant.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:22 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:

I have not lived in Michigan for 10 years so take what I have to say with a grain of salt as it may be dated. The part of Michigan you are talking about is one of my favorite areas up there. It is quiet, it is woodsy and many of the people are older retirees. There is not much work or an economy there and that means less young people and families. It is a vacation hotspot in the summer....lots of family cabins. I went there as a kid multiple times a year. I still travel 800 miles every year to deer hunt there. I have personally never felt the people were unfriendly. Reserved??? Yes, all Midwestern people are reserved and a bit insular. (I have really noticed this and the funny accent since moving away) That area is really all about the outdoors. If you like hunting, fishing or camping you will fit in. Yes church attendance is common there. The modern attitudes in general have not taken hold there. A trip to NE Michigan is a bit like a trip to 1980. Honestly that is one of the things I still love about it. If one were to move there, join a local church, join a hunting club, hang out at the bait shop then they would absolutely fit in. If they went expecting 2021 values and lifestyle to be fully available then they would be disappointed.

Just my 2 cents. If NE Michigan is not for you and your committed to a northern Michigan retirement then I would suggest the other side of Michigan (Traverse City) This area is also great but is much different in its vibe. You may find it more to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan