Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 188,561 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got back from a very short trip to Traverse City. We didn't stay long.

What a disappointment. This was my first time there and perhaps my expectations were too high. It certainly was beautiful along the Lake Michigan shoreline. The hotels were fabulous along the lake but everything just seemed packed in too tightly in the city. The traffic was crazy. It was bumper to bumper and the drivers were rude. This was on May 1st and perhaps because it was a nice day, everyone wanted to be "out and about". But, I cannot fathom how crazy it must be in the summer peak vacation times. I don't know how anyone would consider this to be "getting away". I felt like I was downstate during rush hour.

HOWEVER.......Petosky and Charlevoix (sp?).......WOW!!!!!!

We fell in love with these two cities. Particularly downtown Petosky!!! ADORABLE!

For all the hoopla Traverse City gets (and it does have nice restaurants and shopping)....my money is on Petosky and Charlevois for getting away or permanently moving to. I HEART these two cities.

W
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,778 times
There have been big changes in TC over the last decades. Shopping was once outside the city. It was quite was laid-back even quaint), now it's streets are cattle runs. I had relatives who lived on a dirt road leading up to the bay - really. Looks like runaway consumerism without any central planning to maintain its beauty. Malls, hotels, fast food, and condos. A govt decision to make it so. The beauty is now outside of the city.
I was there when the Traverse Bay shoreline was a leisurely drive. Now it's just businesses - shop quickly then go elsewhere.
What the city offers now is services and a desirable location near other places.
I use the city for needed services but visit elsewhere like Sleeping Bear, the peninsula lighthouses and state parks, Elk Rapids north. I avoid that traffic as much as possible.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 05-03-2012 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: added

Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,636 times
Bumper to bumper traffic? For what? 2 blocks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
My husband and I just got back from a very short trip to Traverse City. We didn't stay long.

What a disappointment. This was my first time there and perhaps my expectations were too high. It certainly was beautiful along the Lake Michigan shoreline. The hotels were fabulous along the lake but everything just seemed packed in too tightly in the city. The traffic was crazy. It was bumper to bumper and the drivers were rude. This was on May 1st and perhaps because it was a nice day, everyone wanted to be "out and about". But, I cannot fathom how crazy it must be in the summer peak vacation times. I don't know how anyone would consider this to be "getting away". I felt like I was downstate during rush hour.

HOWEVER.......Petosky and Charlevoix (sp?).......WOW!!!!!!

We fell in love with these two cities. Particularly downtown Petosky!!! ADORABLE!

For all the hoopla Traverse City gets (and it does have nice restaurants and shopping)....my money is on Petosky and Charlevois for getting away or permanently moving to. I HEART these two cities.

W

Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Agreed. Why don't you park the car and walk around downtown?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,023 times
Sorry to see you did not like your visit. TC has become very busy but I've always felt the traffic flows pretty good considering just how many people are there. Knowing the back roads helps to get from one side to the other too. I've never been to Petoskey or Charlevoix sounds like I need to make sure to go this summer.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,134 times
I love TC! Its even better when you get out and walk around, and even better when the crowds are gone for 6-7 months of the year. I guess its so busy and built up because people want to be there.
I like the vibe better then Petosky, and love that you can easily escape and head to Lake Michigan and Lelanau.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM

56 posts, read 188,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Maybe it was my fault, I just so happened to pick the worst day to travel to Traverse City....it was a sunny day in the midst of a yucky weather week and everyone decided to get out and enjoy the sunshine at the same time.
Again.....my fault. After all, I only traveled 3 hours to be there, and my expectations were high. Again.....my fault.

It was congested, noisy and the other drivers were "manic". Perhaps we hit some kind of "shift change" or school was letting out....whatever.....all I know was that it didn't feel like "Pure Michigan"......but again perhaps.....it was my fault.

W

Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,242,370 times
While in Petoskey, did you make it over to Harbor Springs?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Maybe it was my fault, I just so happened to pick the worst day to travel to Traverse City....it was a sunny day in the midst of a yucky weather week and everyone decided to get out and enjoy the sunshine at the same time.
Again.....my fault. After all, I only traveled 3 hours to be there, and my expectations were high. Again.....my fault.

It was congested, noisy and the other drivers were "manic". Perhaps we hit some kind of "shift change" or school was letting out....whatever.....all I know was that it didn't feel like "Pure Michigan"......but again perhaps.....it was my fault.

W
Don't let em railroad you. If traffic was awful and drivers were rude that's the way it was. Nothing was your fault. Everyone has their own opinion and you have to take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt - the lovers and the not so much.

Hell its not even summer yet.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
When I went to Traverse City, traffic was horrible also.

But I still loved it there, because I just assumed it was part of the deal. I enjoyed it once I was out of the car.

But I am also not going to criticize someone if the traffic ruined it for them. I can see how that could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan