Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:01 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I"m up in that area myself, mkfarnam, but find the cherries much more fun to eat than pick. Most of the picking near me is done by a friendly mix of local and immigrant Hispanic labor. They work darn hard and I get to share the sweet rewards.
NW Michigan is now Wine Country as well, and produces many delicious white wines and some decent reds. They're still picking and crushing right now
HoneyCrisp apples are another treat....a new variety of eating apple that is amazing.
Just a couple more reasons to love the Mitten!
You can meet in the middle here and make cherry wine!!!

I was given a sliver of a Honeycrisp by a co-worker a few weeks ago and could not believe how good it was. My tonsils are still in shock. If Michigan could corner that market alone we would be back on the economic map.

If the doomcriers are right and the sea level rises 20 feet, Florida will soon be gone entirely and people will flock to Nebraska for their water sports. But can you beat Michigan for freshwater fishing, Polar Bear plungery, fall color, foothills smothered in sunflowers, and c'mon people, FUDGE? Ever heard of Tampa fudge? Okeechobee fudge? Everglades fudge? I love a good swamp as well as the next man but we have FUDGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,183,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
You can meet in the middle here and make cherry wine!!!

I was given a sliver of a Honeycrisp by a co-worker a few weeks ago and could not believe how good it was. My tonsils are still in shock. If Michigan could corner that market alone we would be back on the economic map.

If the doomcriers are right and the sea level rises 20 feet, Florida will soon be gone entirely and people will flock to Nebraska for their water sports. But can you beat Michigan for freshwater fishing, Polar Bear plungery, fall color, foothills smothered in sunflowers, and c'mon people, FUDGE? Ever heard of Tampa fudge? Okeechobee fudge? Everglades fudge? I love a good swamp as well as the next man but we have FUDGE.
Well, Cliffie, there's lots of Cherry wine here and it's ok...like the song says :It's not love, but it's not bad. The Pinot Gris and Riesling are the real winners here, with Chardonnay and Pinot Noir pretty darn good as well. The many Sparkling wines (Champagne types) are deeelicious.

I'll bet a sliver was all your coworker was willing to part with! Those apples are a real treat.
They have fudge in Florida...it's called low tide.
Speaking of hybrids: chocolate fudge WINE? Ugh...forget I said anything.
To add to your list of goodies: Perch...lightly fried crisp. Smelt...that finny springtime delicacy. Morels...ahhhh Michigan Strawberries...unlike Calif. berries they taste like the fruit, not the box it came in. I have a friend who sells most of his strawberries to flavoring companies for vinegars, syrups, etc. They want MI fruit because the flavor is so superior.
A lot to love in this state.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:10 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,448,031 times
One thing I've never had until I moved to OK., and that's homemade "Fried Pie". those are great.
I prefer cherry.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,448,031 times
One thing there is in Michigan and not found in many other places is home made "peanut brittle".

Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,137 times
Hi every one,
Iwas born and raised here in Michigan, 37 years of it! I live in northern mi. and things are not very good here as they are not great anywhere in Michigan. It is sad to see your friends and family struggle to eventually move out of Michigan but that is what it is. My brother n law drives for a moving company and he says that for every 1 family he moves into Michigan he moves 10 out, that is sad. We are hurting that is no secret. One day you may have that "GREAT" job and the next day it is gone and YES that quick. My mom is from Mississippi and my dad from Tennessee and when they were kids every one was moving to Michigan for work and now every one seems to be moving south or out west for work a complete circle. My husband has one of the better jobs here AND we are very thankful for that, but a new co. just bought the plant so who knows what will happen. I have a college education and that degree does not mean crap here because the jobs are very far and few between. It is hard to keep postive about being here and watching every one around you lose everything they have. Michigan is falling apart. I do have family in Tn. and we are seriously thinking of moving there. Michigan is a nice place, but not to support your family or yourself. Up here 90% of graduates move out of state. Our kids have to move to make it. I do try to stay postive and I feel very lucky that we are both employed for now but to know how fast it could be gone is what is so scarey.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 AM

55 posts, read 194,804 times
Quote:
One thing there is in Michigan and not found in many other places is home made "peanut brittle".
actually, I make homemade peanut brittle here in CA every year for Christmas. Of course the recipe is Uncle Lloyds and he was born and raised in Michigan! We are hoping to make our peanut brittle in Michigan within the next year. I am getting so anxious to move to your beautiful state.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 37,956 times
just wait for the winter months.... you will be paying $270 a month or higher for your heating bills.....I like mi too except for the winter months and the high consumer bills.... people here in mi tend to stay to themselfs alot ... but there are alot that will speak to you ...... I dont want to move but it looks like I may not have a choice....

Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,871,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving_mi_soon View Post
just wait for the winter months.... you will be paying $270 a month or higher for your heating bills.....I like mi too except for the winter months and the high consumer bills.... people here in mi tend to stay to themselfs alot ... but there are alot that will speak to you ...... I dont want to move but it looks like I may not have a choice....
Our heating bill maxes out at about $94/month for just over 2100 square feet. Even if you are in an old home, there are a lot of ways you can get your heating bill lower than $270/month. I did notice that my inlaws pay almost twice the rate per BTU at their place up near Traverse City than we do here in GR, through Consumers. I wonder why that is? Gas traveling longer distance?

Old 10-31-2007, 02:53 PM

845 posts, read 3,273,975 times
My house is 60 years old.
Last winter we paid about $120/mo for heating.
I think $270 is a bit extreme.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times
Default I had no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I thought this was a universal thing, not local! When I was in high school one of the chemistry teachers had them making peanut brittle in the lab...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan