Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times

Advertisements

On a more serious side , some up here do not like being called Yoopers.....just so you know. The other thing We are split in 2 time zones, yet, all the states to our south are on central time. Sometimes is nice to have daylight at 1100 pm, but, not so nice when we are always one hour short or one hour early to the meeting ! I am not sure, but at one time I think we were all on central time many years ago. The Upper Michigan Midwest sub-state belongs to the northern Tier, which is all on central time Lower Michigan does not which is on Eastern time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
Oh I haven't called anyone a yooper, lol- I just call everything "U.P."- we're still on the same time we were on in Nebraska--and it's so green and pretty up here, the fresh air is knocking us out-literally, lol.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 PM

I think what started some people to become offended was an over the top jokes about them "big dumb Yoopers" There are way too many local writers who have some outlandish books about growing up in the old UP.. True history can be very entertaining, it's just a bit much now days. Sort of a Jeff Foxworthy red neck thing many of us are getting tired of hearing over and over.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think what started some people to become offended was an over the top jokes about them "big dumb Yoopers" There are way too many local writers who have some outlandish books about growing up in the old UP.. True history can be very entertaining, it's just a bit much now days. Sort of a Jeff Foxworthy red neck thing many of us are getting tired of hearing over and over.
But I would guess that every 'yooper' would have a great, big laugh about anyone who jokes about them being 'big and dumb'- I mean after all---the ones who poke fun live DOWNstate...and the yoopers live...well, look where THEY have the privilege to live-

Guess we know who's big and dumb now, huh? LOL

Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
But I would guess that every 'yooper' would have a great, big laugh about anyone who jokes about them being 'big and dumb'- I mean after all---the ones who poke fun live DOWNstate...and the yoopers live...well, look where THEY have the privilege to live-

Yes , and if I can be so bold...I like to think we look down on the rest of Michigan, gives us a warm feeling to in jest of coarse , call them Trolls as well. LOL

Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,571 times
Congratulations on your husbands transfer!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
I was just checking out the various posts on Citi data today and came upon this. Indeed the UP is a rather magical place if I do say so. Been there many times and in fact my wife and I honeymooned in Marquette way back in 81. She found it wonderful there as well. The only place you can have it be 90 degrees outside and you walk into the lake and in 5 minutes your legs are numb ;-) You are right however about the people. They are special, and I would agree it could well be because they WANT to be there. I live in Utah now and it is the largest consumer of pharmaceutical anti depressant drugs. You would think a place as beautiful as some parts of this are that would not be the case. But there is religious oppression as well as all kinds of issues. I would imagine there's a pretty good consumption of alcohol up in the UP but then I don't know. Obviously Wisconsin is known for their record levels of DUI's. The UP is just one of those "set apart" places unlike others, and that is what makes it so special. I know winters are a challenge there, but once you get past that indeed it's got to be well worth it. Enjoy folks. If I ever get the chance maybe I'll be back to visit. Who knows if I live long enough I have to admit I'd LOVE to come back to celebrate our 40th anniversary up on Marquette :-)

Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I was just checking out the various posts on Citi data today and came upon this. Indeed the UP is a rather magical place if I do say so. Been there many times and in fact my wife and I honeymooned in Marquette way back in 81. She found it wonderful there as well. The only place you can have it be 90 degrees outside and you walk into the lake and in 5 minutes your legs are numb ;-) You are right however about the people. They are special, and I would agree it could well be because they WANT to be there. I live in Utah now and it is the largest consumer of pharmaceutical anti depressant drugs. You would think a place as beautiful as some parts of this are that would not be the case. But there is religious oppression as well as all kinds of issues. I would imagine there's a pretty good consumption of alcohol up in the UP but then I don't know. Obviously Wisconsin is known for their record levels of DUI's. The UP is just one of those "set apart" places unlike others, and that is what makes it so special. I know winters are a challenge there, but once you get past that indeed it's got to be well worth it. Enjoy folks. If I ever get the chance maybe I'll be back to visit. Who knows if I live long enough I have to admit I'd LOVE to come back to celebrate our 40th anniversary up on Marquette :-)
Well then , Just Do It ! You will find Marquette a lot different than in 1981. Since all the railroad blight has went away, its so, so much different. The city has been transformed into a much cleaner, restored buildings, nice waterfront, bike trails, and much more. WE just keep being awarded as the best place to live, from many sources. Our city must be doing something right and, it shows a lot !

Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
Congratulations on your husbands transfer!
Thank you, Tulip

Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post

I live down state and never hear anyone make fun of Yoopers...at least seriously.
I have a business Facebook page with Michigan products and almost 5000 "Likes" and they ALL love the U.P. I'm not sure where the tension comes from actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan