Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 PM

362 posts, read 1,503,020 times

Advertisements

South Carolina is in the middle of an engineering EXPLOSION -- they can't hire enough right now. I just partially located down here (hubby is still in Michigan waiting to sell our mobile home) and so far so good. The cost of living here is 17% cheaper than Michigan -- probably more now that Jenny has raised the taxes.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhtex View Post
Moving out of Michigan - my experiences FWIW....

I moved my family to the North Dallas suburbs in Texas in June of 07. It's a pretty place with lots of flat to rolling landscape with horse and cattle pasture. Not as many trees as I'd like but still nice in its own way. We are close to all the aminities of the greater Dallas area but still live in a very rural setting. We like the schools and picked an area with smaller schools on purpose. The kids seem to like thier new schools and are involved with band and athletics. The people have been very friendly. We are very home sick which is to be expected but there are job opportuinities here - the economy is diverse and there is a stable housing market. The local AM talk radio shows all play the Jeff Daniels "Do business in Michigan because its such a great place" commercials. Wonder how prospective businesses will feel about this now? Moving from SE Michigan I think the cost of living is a push. There is no state income tax but I think they more than make up for it with local property taxes and sales taxes. Water and electricity are also very expensive. If you are coming from the East or West coast (there are numerous people here who have) then it's probably a great deal in Texas due mainly to the cost of housing. You get a lot for your money here in terms of housing. I miss the trees in Michigan and the lakes but how can we enjoy them while constantlly worrying about a stable job, and what will my kids (both teenagers in highschool do) once they get out of school? What does the next 3-5 years hold for Michigan? It might take a generation to turn things around. I had the chance to take a good job here so when I added it all up we decided to roll the dice - so here we are in Texas for better or worse. I won't say it's the best thing I've ever done and I won't say it's the worst. I've been told it takes at least a year to adjust to a major move like this so I'm witholding judgement for now. For those who do decide to make the move research the area first. Visit if you can maybe even rent or lease before comitting to the area permanently before buying a house. Best of luck to all who stay and to those who decide to take a chance and see some other area of the country. BTW - I'm starting to see Comerica bank branches pop up in various areas around the Plano area.

Regards, from North Texas.
GRHTEX
We just swapped lives, lol! We just moved FROM Dallas TO Michigan!

I can tell you that there are definitely areas in Dallas with trees and lakes. Unfortunately, the suburbs are not treed nor do they have lakes. You'd need to actually go into Dallas. That's where I grew up and where we lived until we moved up here. Look around the SMU area (75 and Mockinbird Lane), and the surrounding areas. Huge, mature 100+ year old oak trees.

Good luck in Texas. I understand about being homesick. I've been here over 3 months and I'm still really homesick for Dallas. I heard the same thing - give it a year. I hope it works! I'm usually around here, if you ever need any Dallas or TX questions answered.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM

198 posts, read 508,452 times
That's too funny regarding the irony of our swapping geographic locations. Now if you tell me you left to take an IT job I'll really be shocked.
I've been down to the area you mention it is very nice with many spectacular houses. Curious as to what area of MI you relocated to.

regards,
GRHTEX

Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 PM

133 posts, read 357,576 times
My family and i moved here to relocated here to vegas 3 year's ago.We lived here about 10 year's ago,moved back to Michigan,a move we regretted and in turn returned to Vegas.We watched,after being in Vegas how Michigan was doing and conducting business,and saw the writing on the wall.A lot of people said "you hate Michigan"when i spoke out about what was going on,seeing the atrocities that the Government was commiting against it's own hard-working people.Now here it is,a few year's later,and well,I can tell you i have heard from a few people back there who are now eating crow,what a shame.We miss Michigan,but not the no-opportunity situation there.My wife and i have fallen into job's here that companie's in michigan couldn't fathom,it show's.I believe after all the dust is settled,we here in vegas will see more and more people from Michigan arriving,for work.The job i run now has about 1,000 tradesmen on it,about 15% are from back home.When i talk with them it is the same story,Here for better weather?nope.Here for cheaper taxes?nope.change of scenery?nope.Just work.That is a sad thing,just work.Of all that 15%,every answer is work.So will Michigan recover?Not likely for the next 10 years.If that.So i implore all the People in Michigan,leave the folly of fool's that is the Government of Michigan.Stop hoping for a white knight on his steed to rescue the state...he's not coming.I can say this much,if you come out here,the work is plentiful,the pay is good,and there is no Michigan government here...then again if there was,we wouldn't have job's.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM

262 posts, read 788,261 times
MIhome, I hear you I have been talking with a company out there they need tradesmen and women who know how to work so with the way things are going here I'm looking at being out there within the month, I can't afford to pay these new Service Taxes and Income Taxes. I can't even pay the Property Taxes now. I've lived here for 50 years, My girlfriend just got a notice from Department of Human Services that she and her two grand daughters Starting Octoeber 1st 2007 you can only receive FIP for 48 months in your life time. The grand daughters are 5yrs and 6yrs and that's all the help she gets from the State Food Stamps, Medicade The bare minum. Hey I think we need to leave just to work too. She has had a full time job in three years now, So I support her and the girls with no help from their mother who the Friend of the Court send her $360. every two weeks and spends it on her Home boys and not her children.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 PM

133 posts, read 357,576 times
Which outfit are you talking with,if you don't mind me asking.If you need a little info on contractor's out here i know a couple that are alway's looking for good hand's,and i am alway's willing to help out people from back home,lord know's the hell you have to go through back there.lol.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
Default Thinking of Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill h View Post
ditto that, 4 more yrs til i can collect my retirement, and medical, and i`am outa here. prob. fla. great weather, and no state income tax.
I dont blame you for wanting to get out of Michigan but no place is perfect. Consider that Fl also has economic difficulties. Alot will depend of your age and circumstances. There are jobs but dont look for high wages compared to employed people in Michigan. Fl does not have the UAW which means less unemployment. It is a right to work state which means employers are more attracted to this state which means more jobs. Politically it is more conservative than liberal. The politicians here are not owned by unions. Do I sound anti union? I am a retired Teamster in good standing. I believe that the unions have contributed to the demise of Michigans economy but they are not entirely to blame. One of the reasons I moved here is because of the political structure of Michigan. The politicians never represented my point of view. Here I feel they do. Both major parties are represented not just one all the time. Another thing is the bias one sided view by the news media in Lansing. Here in my community there is a more ballanced point of view. Of course the weather is good. If you dont like a hot summer, stay up north. There are no cancellations on the account of ice and snow. The only problem in Florida is that there is too much to do, Plays, sight seeing. golf, tennis, biking, fishing, eating, walking on miles of state trails. Churches, large churches of every kind. Did I mention that the state is a little on the conservative and patriotic side? People come here for a new life everyday. Its a great place to retire. I caution a younger person to come and look first before you pack up and move everything. If your're near retirement spend a winter here. If you are allergic to cold come on down! PJ

Old 10-05-2007, 10:48 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeMI View Post
After todays fiasco in the state goverment it is getting closer to our decision to leave. Really, what states are the best to look at as far as economy, job market , overall quality of living?
Arizona, Colorado, & Idaho are the best according to research by bailer-outers I know. But the bursting of the housing bubble is starting to hurt people everywhere.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM

106 posts, read 573,284 times
Default best states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The states with the best economy and job market right now are:
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska
Arizona
Nevada
All of these states have had strong economic growth in the last several years. Some states are quite rural, however. You might want to take that into consideration if you are coming from the more heavily populated eastern US.
Alaska? Montana? Wyoming? Idaho?
True about growth, if you like living like in the Arctic Circle.
Montana scenery is breathtaking gorgeous, but you cannot eat it.
These state have growth, but there rate of pay is low.
There is no nightlife, malls clubs etc..and if you like men who look like Grizzly Adams and girls built like truckers well I guess this is the place.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 37,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
Alaska? Montana? Wyoming? Idaho?
True about growth, if you like living like in the Arctic Circle.
Montana scenery is breathtaking gorgeous, but you cannot eat it.
These state have growth, but there rate of pay is low.
There is no nightlife, malls clubs etc..and if you like men who look like Grizzly Adams and girls built like truckers well I guess this is the place.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
The rate of pay may be lower, but so is the cost of living. And many of the states are doing fiscally well, aka Wyoming has quite a surplus of funds to go back into the community. It may not have the nightlife, but is the nightlife worth it when one cannot even afford it? Are several large malls a good thing when people don't have money to spend? (Or spend money they don't have?) And way to stereotype the locals. It's not like Michigan is an all urban area with no countryside or farmers or with such great weather patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan