Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times

Advertisements

We head from Chicago to Mackinac Island tomorrow, Fri thru Sun, really looking forward to it. Been there in July several times, this will be our first visit in Fall, hope colors are started.

Just found out last minute that we have Mon open too, and we think we'd like to spend the extra day somewhere other than Mackinac, south so as to be somewhat on the way home. But we really don't know the area at all. So anyone knowledgeable that might be able to recommend one city to spend a day/night - I listed a few in the subject but open to suggestions. Thanks, we leave in the morning but I'll try to watch this thread as long as possible.

[EDIT: We know the towns from Holland south well enough, so we're looking for something further north.

Yes - shopping, restaurants, waterfront that sort of thing appeals to us. Some walking, but not too much as DW is coming off an ankle injury. I've sailed by Sleeping Bear 5 times, so I've seen it from the water several times, and it is spectacular indeed.]

Last edited by Midpack; 09-27-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
You're looking for citified amenities, right? Otherwise I would suggest something like Glen Arbor. Hang out and tour the Sleeping Bear. A day will go by quickly.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We head from Chicago to Mackinac Island tomorrow, Fri thru Sun, really looking forward to it. Been there in July several times, this will be our first visit in Fall, hope colors are started.

Just found out last minute that we have Mon open too, and we think we'd like to spend the extra day somewhere other than Mackinac, south so as to be somewhat on the way home. But we really don't know the area at all. So anyone knowledgeable that might be able to recommend one city to spend a day/night - I listed a few in the subject but open to suggestions. Thanks, we leave in the morning but I'll try to watch this thread as long as possible.
The west side..you need to see the Sleeping Bear Dunes area, and many small towns along there that are awesome! On the East side... Tawas or Oscoda. It would be a great trip along Lake Huron, and a few great little towns. If you head west on your way out ( River Road) along the Au-Sable River scenic Byway...you will get to see some of the most scenic areas in all of Michigan at the many "Lookouts" over the Au-Sable river valley. And if there are any colors going on...it will be amazing!!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Glen Arbor or Petoskey are the two best. Just follow 31 South from Mackinac - it's faster than 75 and much better on the eyes. Then in Traverse City hope on 22 and follow that loop around to Glen Arbor.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Normally I would agree with the people above about visiting places Up North, but ArtPrize is going on in Grand Rapids through October 7th. And ArtPrize is a MUST see. Downtown GR is worth visiting regardless, but it is a true gem during ArtPrize.

Oh, and you will see lots of color on your trip. There is quite a bit of color here in the Lansing area already.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,786 times
Ah ha...you MUST ( ) drive down 31 from Mackinaw then cut over onto Levering road to Cross Village. While there, stop for lunch at Leg's Inn which is on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan ( Legs Inn - Cross Village, Michigan )...then from there you hop onto M119 the Tunnel of trees and snake on the bluff all along Lake michigan, south to Harbor Springs M-119 (Michigan highway) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Then you are in Harbor, where there is shopping and restaurants and if that harbor town isn't enough, Petoskey is just a little farther away!!! Enjoy, and be sure to post photos of whatever you do!!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Thank you all very much. We're literally leaving in a few minutes, though I can check the forum with wifi at the hotel on the island. At present, our plan is to leave Mac City and drive down to Petoskey/Harbor Springs, if it looks like fun we'll stay. If not, we'll push on to Charlevoix, and stay if it strikes us. If not, we'll push on to Traverse City, probably drive out to Sleeping Bear/Glen Arbor, and stay in TC or GA if it strikes us. If we're still not motivated to spend time, we'll head for Grand Rapids and stay there. Thanks for all the quick responses everyone, very helpful!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Just remember if you go from TC to Glen Arbor - do not use GPS/Google maps and follow 72 West across (it's faster but nothing but farmland and quite bland). Take 22 up towards Sutton Bay and do the scenic view around the peninsula - it's only about 15 miles farther but much better.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thank you all very much. We're literally leaving in a few minutes, though I can check the forum with wifi at the hotel on the island. At present, our plan is to leave Mac City and drive down to Petoskey/Harbor Springs, if it looks like fun we'll stay. If not, we'll push on to Charlevoix, and stay if it strikes us. If not, we'll push on to Traverse City, probably drive out to Sleeping Bear/Glen Arbor, and stay in TC or GA if it strikes us. If we're still not motivated to spend time, we'll head for Grand Rapids and stay there. Thanks for all the quick responses everyone, very helpful!!!
If interested in scenery at all, take the Pierce Stocking scenic drive.

Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - YouTube

Roaming Through Michigan - YouTube

Oops, I forgot about Ludington, a mid-sized coastal town. Strangely, the videos don't show much of main street.

Ludington - Simply Timeless - YouTube

Destination Ludington - YouTube

Last edited by detwahDJ; 09-28-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan