Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 PM

42 posts, read 174,804 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! My partner and I are going to be moving in 2013. After researching many different states we have narrowed it down to 2. Michigan and Wisconsin. I am more interested in Michigan, she likes Wisconsin. This has become quite the debate between us I have never been to either state, she has visited both but it has been over 10 years ago. We do plan on making a trip in the next couple of months to drive through the Western side of Michigan and the Eastern side of Wisconsin so we can see things for ourselves. (We want to be close to Lake Michigan) With that said Id like to ask:

What are the differences/similarities between Michigan and Wisconsin?

Landscape?
Weather?
People?
Cost of Living?
Lifestyle?
Employment or lack of?

Whatever impressions or information you can give me may help with this debate we are having I am beyond excited about our move and very grateful there is a place like CD where I can come and ask question like this and know I'll get honest feedback from people that actually live in the places Im interested in. SO much better then relying on some poll on websites titled "Best Places to Live" Thanks yall!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,456 times
Well hm...I don't know a whole lot about Wisconsin because we just moved here to Michigan- but interestingly enough, we are right on the edge of Michigan in the U.P., and just a couple of miles from the Wisconsin border-so I guess you could say that we have the best of both worlds, lol- However...we aren't by lake Michigan, but where we are is beautiful- there are lakes, and we are a hop-skip-and a jump from all that the U.P. (and Wisconsin) has to offer!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,554 times
Michigan is bordered by all the amazing lakes, and doesnt get as cold. Michigan...no contest

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Michigan and Wisconsin are very similar states. The people are similar, as is the demographics and culture of the two states. That being said there are a couple noteable differences. Wisconsin has a bit better economy, Michigans economic issues are well known. Because of this Wisconsin housing is a bit more expensive. Michigan is a snowier state than Wisconsin because we are downwind from the lake. Wisconisn is a few degrees cooler in winter because it is upwind from the lakes moderating effect. Politically it is said Wisconsin is a bit more liberal than Michigan. Michigan can be very socially conservative, but loyal to the union Dem cause. Its kind of a confused state politically lol. I would think the lifestyle of both states is quite similar, both are outdoorsey states, deer hunting, fishing, camping etc. If your looking for the upper midwest lifestyle then both states will make you happy. Really the differences between them are few, similarities are many.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM

82 posts, read 300,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Michigan and Wisconsin are very similar states. The people are similar, as is the demographics and culture of the two states. That being said there are a couple noteable differences. Wisconsin has a bit better economy, Michigans economic issues are well known. Because of this Wisconsin housing is a bit more expensive. Michigan is a snowier state than Wisconsin because we are downwind from the lake. Wisconisn is a few degrees cooler in winter because it is upwind from the lakes moderating effect. Politically it is said Wisconsin is a bit more liberal than Michigan. Michigan can be very socially conservative, but loyal to the union Dem cause. Its kind of a confused state politically lol. I would think the lifestyle of both states is quite similar, both are outdoorsey states, deer hunting, fishing, camping etc. If your looking for the upper midwest lifestyle then both states will make you happy. Really the differences between them are few, similarities are many.

I agree with all of this. Far more similarities than differences.

It seems to me though that Wisconsin is a tad more into the hunting and fishing type scene, where I might consider MI to be more diversified in the outdoor activities. When I think of WI, I think of hunting, fishing, beer, brats, ice fishing, Packers, cheese. With MI, I think of sailing, camping, boating, canoeing, skiing, snowmobiling.

I think MI is more scenic. Drive to the east side if you want a sunrise, otherwise you have your beautiful sunsets on the west side. Michigan's west side has awesome sandy beaches up and down the coast. Are WI beaches as sandy and beautiful? I am not so sure.

Only reason I would move to WI over MI would be if I wanted to live right on Lake Michigan and be in a city. MI doesn't have a Milwaukee. Then again, if that is what I wanted, I would live in Chicago.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,777 times
If you want beautiful dunes and beaches, choose Michigan. The prevailing winds cause erosion that creates dunes on the Michigan side of lake.

There are lots of good deals on housing in the Muskegon area, but not very many good jobs.

I spent a couple of days in Manitowoc last year. The people seemed a bit friendlier to strangers than Michiganders, who are not hostile but can be a bit more aloof at first.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM

Thank you for the replies! You are confirming some of the things I was thinking about Michigan. The diversity in outdoor activities, the beaches in Michigan from the pics Ive seen, are more beautiful then the ones in Wisconsin and that housing is cheaper in Michigan. I work in Long Term Care and from what Ive read on several sites the difference in pay for my skill between the states is minimal so cheaper housing is a plus for sure.

danielj72- you mentioned that Wisconsin is a more liberal state and Michigan more conservative. I assume you meant as far as political policy views but when I hear conservative it makes me wonder. I really hate for this to be a consideration in where we live but realistically it is. My partner is female...and so am I. Also my son may be moving with us with his wife and new baby and he is a tattoo artist..which means he is covered in tattoos. I mean covered. Would we have a problem being accepted in Michigan? We live in NC now and my son is often judged on site because of his tattoos and my girlfriend and I have been harassed and chased by a group of men in a truck just for holding hands while walking down the street. I just want to live somewhere and know that the community won't shun us without even getting to know us. I haven't read anything that makes me think Michigan could be this way...but I guess I do need to ask.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,236 times
Check out Traverse City, Michigan area - no one will look twice at you. Home to the most liberal base west of Lansing. Interlochen, where many singers train in their formative years (e.g. Josh Groban) is right down the road. Arts are celebratated, a much more cultured base. There are a lot of transplants from Chicago who live in the Glen Arbor, TCity, Leland area as well.

Saugatuck, Michigan (google it) is the Midwest's version of Fire Island/Rehoboth Beach and that is not far from Lake Michigan on the Southwestern side. Can't really go wrong with either side. But if you had the chance to live in the Most Beautiful Place in America - why would you go anywhere else =)

Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan Voted Good Morning America's 'Most Beautiful Place' - ABC News

Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 PM

82 posts, read 300,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Check out Traverse City, Michigan area - no one will look twice at you. Home to the most liberal base west of Lansing. Interlochen, where many singers train in their formative years (e.g. Josh Groban) is right down the road. Arts are celebratated, a much more cultured base. There are a lot of transplants from Chicago who live in the Glen Arbor, TCity, Leland area as well.

Saugatuck, Michigan (google it) is the Midwest's version of Fire Island/Rehoboth Beach and that is not far from Lake Michigan on the Southwestern side. Can't really go wrong with either side. But if you had the chance to live in the Most Beautiful Place in America - why would you go anywhere else =)

Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan Voted Good Morning America's 'Most Beautiful Place' - ABC News

Good post and good advice.

I just had to laugh at your comment about Saugatuck not being that far from Lake Michigan. If you look at a map, you can see it is not far from the lake. Not far at all. LOL

Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

The Traverse City area and Saugatuck sound awesome! Thank you for describing those for me and for the link. This really helps...Im going to predict I win the debate my partner and I are having...know what that means? Michigan here we come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan