Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 6,503 times

Advertisements

I'm a graphic designer and fine artist who recently graduated from college. I live in Northwest Indiana where it's a little bleak. I have an opportunity to move to MI with a few friends who are willing to help me get an apartment and set me up with a job in a pub or brewery. But I'd rather get a job working in the creative field. I can't find much information on creative job outlook for the areas which my friends are looking to move to - Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor. And I can't tell by city statistic data if its an area where people are interested in art and culture.

Northwest Indiana doesn't have many opportunities for what I'm in to, but Chicago is a stone's throw away. And that city has plenty of design and art jobs. Knowing that Chicago is my safety net makes me think twice about moving to MI where I know nothing of jobs or opportunities.

Also, I'd like to know what its like in those cities. What are the "vibes" the city gives off? Is it a good place for more "alternative" lifestyles and ways of thinking? Is it a good place for a 20-something year old to have a stable future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,613,062 times
Ann Arbor is a college town and is pretty much the most liberal-young people oriented city in the state of Michigan. It also has the lowest unemployment rate in Michigan if I recall. It's not quite an urban playground like Chicago (far from it, in fact), but there's enough to do that it attracts 20-somethings from all over. It's only an hour away from Detroit which has a growing creative job market.

I definitely wouldn't be able to say that you'd be able to find a job in Michigan as quickly as you would in Chicago, but I know you'd be able to find one.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,874,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratassociation View Post
I'm a graphic designer and fine artist who recently graduated from college. I live in Northwest Indiana where it's a little bleak. I have an opportunity to move to MI with a few friends who are willing to help me get an apartment and set me up with a job in a pub or brewery. But I'd rather get a job working in the creative field. I can't find much information on creative job outlook for the areas which my friends are looking to move to - Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor. And I can't tell by city statistic data if its an area where people are interested in art and culture.

Northwest Indiana doesn't have many opportunities for what I'm in to, but Chicago is a stone's throw away. And that city has plenty of design and art jobs. Knowing that Chicago is my safety net makes me think twice about moving to MI where I know nothing of jobs or opportunities.

Also, I'd like to know what its like in those cities. What are the "vibes" the city gives off? Is it a good place for more "alternative" lifestyles and ways of thinking? Is it a good place for a 20-something year old to have a stable future?
Grand Rapids has a huge design community. A lot of it started by servicing the big office furniture companies (Herman Miller, Haworth, Steelcase) but has spilled into other industries. A lot of the firms here now service clients all over the country. Kendall College of Art & Design is located right in the middle of downtown.

Design West Michigan and AIGA West Michigan are two good places to start some inquiries.

Design West Michigan | Design West Michigan explores design as an economic building block for the region.
AIGA West Michigan - Home

Rapid Growth is a good weekly resource too for the local artist/design/entrepreneur community:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/

Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 PM

26 posts, read 62,523 times
Holy ****! Michigan sounds too good to be true! I've been looking at different states to move to & so far everything I've seen & heard about Grand Rapids has been positive. I used to be an artist, it was a big thing back home in CT. being near New York City. I moved down South it's been horrible here, I've had no support for the past 20 years & I eventually gave up on it. There is no creative atmosphere here at all & the people couldn't care less about art. Some of the people I've met look down on it & even tried to sabotage me & make me fail.

Out of the states I'm looking into, Michigan is kicking all kinds of ass! Maybe I can get back into it if I move to Grand Rapids. Not sure if I'd care about it anymore but if the atmosphere was right ya never know! It used to be the most important thing to me but the people of East TN. sucked the life out of me.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,943,835 times
West Michigan is called it's "art coast" and the market is highly geared to tourism. The artists are self-employed or belong to associations and galleries. There is really too much to post. Just google west mi art scene for lots of scattered info.
Art Galleries Along The Lake Michigan Shoreline

Grand Rapids specifically:
Artists & Entries - List - Apply to take part in the world's largest art prize. Information, applications and contest details.
Kendall is the the training ground for art/design "careers" - might be a contact source of information.
Welcome to Kendall+

Last time I was in the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts (several years ago), they had a huge Frankenthaler in the lobby.
Kalamazoo Institute of Arts anchors vibrant West Michigan art scene - Midwest Guest

The "fine art" and crafts scene is large, but you mentioned "jobs" - that's something I can't speak to. I would check with Kendall (may have employment data - especially for students and graduates).

Last edited by detwahDJ; 12-05-2012 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM

131 posts, read 454,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
Holy ****! Michigan sounds too good to be true! I've been looking at different states to move to & so far everything I've seen & heard about Grand Rapids has been positive. I used to be an artist, it was a big thing back home in CT. being near New York City. I moved down South it's been horrible here, I've had no support for the past 20 years & I eventually gave up on it. There is no creative atmosphere here at all & the people couldn't care less about art. Some of the people I've met look down on it & even tried to sabotage me & make me fail.

Out of the states I'm looking into, Michigan is kicking all kinds of ass! Maybe I can get back into it if I move to Grand Rapids. Not sure if I'd care about it anymore but if the atmosphere was right ya never know! It used to be the most important thing to me but the people of East TN. sucked the life out of me.
x2 I could have written this post! I just thought it was the economy overall! We have visited MI every year for the past 3! I love your state and if DH could find work there...well we would be there! I have family that lived in K-zoo for 3 generations and I never realized the art community there! I also have family in Flint and Warren...gee! Unfortunately no family on the west side...which is my favorite!
Nukem I dont know how close you are to the west side of NC but isnt there a large creative culture there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan