Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 13,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobeYooper View Post
Hi there! My family just moved from Illinois to Ironwood. We've been here for 2 months, moved in December (probably not the best month to move We are LOVING living here in Ironwood. The people here are VERY friendly, especially compared to Illinoisians (sp?). My husband and I were born and raised in Illinois, lived the last 15 years in Southern Illinois....the people here are the friendliest I've ever met. They have gone out of their way to help us settle in. We have four kids, three of which are at Ironwood schools. Some people in other posts have criticized the school here, but it is SO much better than Southern Illinois schools! My daughter is a sophomore, and she said she's learned more in the two months at Ironwood's High School Luther L. Wright than she did in her two years in Illinois. It's all perspective...where you came from originally. We were in the armpit of the country down in Illinois. We come up here during the winter, and it is a wonderful change! The snow hasn't disappointed us--quite the contrary. We wanted more of a winter season, since we only averaged an inch of snow in Southern Illinois on a good year. Our sons are already learning how to ski, and they love it! We hike and snowshoe often. The air is crisp and clean.
We came from a larger town of about 16,000, yet Ironwood still seems to have more in the way of specialty shops than our old town did. The cost of living here is MUCH CHEAPER than Illinois! The state taxes are much better. Even though gas is a little higher, we don't have to go as far to get to the grocery store or schools (we live in town), so we actually use less gas. I'm not much of a shopper, so the distance to good shopping doesn't bother me. We went to Duluth a few weeks ago--not unlike having to travel to St. Louis down in Southern Illinois. They have a nice little theatre here--it feels like you are watching a big screen right in your own living room Again, the people have been very, very friendly--they are welcoming us into their town with open arms.
It all depends on what you are looking for. We were looking for a small town atmosphere, friendly, with four seasons. We wanted a place where we could enjoy the outdoors...we love to hike, fish, etc. A lot of people on the forums push for Marquette since it is a bigger city, but we didn't want to raise our kids in a big city. We have a son with special needs, and the schoools have been wonderful in helping him acclimate. My daughter brought a friend home from school their second day of classes! Most of the kids up here seem grounded without a lot of drama. My daughter said she was accepted and invited to join in right away. My autistic son actually has friends for the first time in his life. I have enjoyed Ironwood thus far. We are renting for a year to give it a good shake, but my husband and I are already talking about purchasing something for the long term up here. We promised ourselves we would get through all four seasons before making a permanent decision.
Hope this information helps! Please feel free to ask any questions. People have all kinds of perspectives of living in different places. Our perspective is coming from a very corrupt state with a population of people that have a very defeatist attitude about life. Here in the U.P., people don't seem angry or cliquish like they are in southern Illinois. The Yoopers absolutely love their area--they are very proud of it's beauty, and they should be! It seems very clean here--not a lot of junk littered in yards, etc. I am looking forward to seeing the spring and summer and what it brings (it has to be better than the 125 degree days we had in Southern Illinois for the whole month of July).
We moved here from Chicago. We should try to connect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 AM

12 posts, read 37,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Wow thanks SoontobeYooper (Though maybe you should just say Yooper now? )

That sounds great! It sounds a lot like my hometown in PA, which I also loved growing up, but with more things to do and places to see. I did some searches and the surrounding area looks absolutely gorgeous. Love the thick pine forests and Lake Superior. My hometown never had a movie theater, and even the drive-in theater we all loved closed down a couple years ago...kinda sad.

Although I'm coming from a different perspective as a single 25-year-old guy, I'm not a city person (never have been), never really cared for nightlife or the "dating scene" or whatever, always loved the outdoors, and have always easily been able to keep myself entertained. My fun usually = running around outdoors, doodling around on the computer, or going to the pub with friends.

((Does Ironwood have a decent bar/pub?))

Lol I should change my user name I guess. I'm not sure about the pub, but Silver Road (?), the main drag in Hurley five minutes away has a ton of them! It's been about 15 years since I graduated from college--I think that's the last time I went bar hopping. It used to be the place all the miners went at night I guess. I forgot to mention the Ironwood Theatre....my daughter and I just went to a performance the other night, and it was a youthful group of guys that sing and do beat box, etc. It was actually really cool. It sounds like the UP is definitely the place for you....especially with all of the outdoors activities. We are anxiously waiting for spring and the opportunity to hike! Good luck with your plans!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 13,779 times
Quote:
Lol I should change my user name I guess. I'm not sure about the pub, but Silver Road (?), the main drag in Hurley five minutes away has a ton of them! It's been about 15 years since I graduated from college--I think that's the last time I went bar hopping. It used to be the place all the miners went at night I guess. I forgot to mention the Ironwood Theatre....my daughter and I just went to a performance the other night, and it was a youthful group of guys that sing and do beat box, etc. It was actually really cool. It sounds like the UP is definitely the place for you....especially with all of the outdoors activities. We are anxiously waiting for spring and the opportunity to hike! Good luck with your plans!
Silver Street is the fun place to be !

Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 PM

51 posts, read 67,128 times
Houghton is my favorite small city in the world. The people are super friendly, down to earth, and helpful. Cost of living is incredibly cheap. Tons of stuff to do. You do feel very isolated, but the amazing wilderness is worth it. Unfortunately, you will either be working for MTU or Walmart.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruvis View Post
Houghton is my favorite small city in the world. The people are super friendly, down to earth, and helpful. Cost of living is incredibly cheap. Tons of stuff to do. You do feel very isolated, but the amazing wilderness is worth it. Unfortunately, you will either be working for MTU or Walmart.
There was a group of grad students at Michigan Tech that used to run rallycross events out on the Gay stamp sands. Nice lads and good times were had by all, with a drink or two at the Gay Bar afterwards. I think one of the (former) students still lives up there and still puts together a rallycross every couple years or so.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:09 PM

47 posts, read 70,028 times
My wife and I (as well as our 3 young children) are also (strongly) considering a move to Ironwood (hopefully within the next 1-2 months) and have a question about cell service. What seems to be the best in that area? We're coming from North Florida where we have a wide variety to choose from, but we realize that may not be the case up there.
(First off, I realize this is kind of an older thread, so I'm really hoping my comment will even be seen.)

From everything we have read about Ironwood it really seems to be a great town to raise a family. Yes, we have done our homework on the economy up there and we realize that jobs are quite scarce. Fortunately for us, we are very resourceful (and thrifty!) and have never had much of a problem making money in service related businesses (we currently own a pretty successful housecleaning service, but realize that wouldn't work up there due to the economy).

I mostly just need info on cell service up that way. We truly appreciate any info we can get on the matter. Thank you in advance! We can't wait to be Yoopers! By the way, I have lived in Escanaba twice before, both times in the dead of winter. I realize that Ironwood gets a LOT more snow than Esky, as well as getting considerably colder. We're simply sick and tired of the heat and humidity of Florida. Besides my wife and kids have NEVER seen snow. We're all more than ready for the change.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM

47 posts, read 70,028 times
Default Hoping you can clarify something for me...

Quote:
I've read where some people claim the water in Ironwood is disgusting and smells like rotten eggs (I'm assuming it's sulfur). I don't know if you and your family are still in the area or not, but I figure you could still tell me if that's true or not. Also, if you are still there, you would have a lot more perspective a couple YEARS in than your earlier comments.
Any help at all on these matters would be greatly appreciated. My family and I are (REALLY) wanting to move there in the next month or so. Also, could you tell me (roughly) what the heating bills are like in the winter? I have had electric powered central heat and air my whole life. Never had to deal with the different gas methods of heating.
Thank you SO much in advance!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 PM

29 posts, read 33,983 times
I've lived in ironwood my whole life. For me this stinks as I absolutely detest winter. Ironwood gets far more snow than other areas because we are so close to Lake Superior so we get lake effect snow. We also deal with a lot of sub zero temps. If I'm being honest wih you, I feel like the area is dying economically. The issue is that nobody wants new business to come in. We have finally decided to make a move and head south in the next two years, but I pretty much know all there is to know about this area! Housing is affordable. We bought a house in our early 20s with only one of us working and have lived here for about 9 years. If you want lower property tax, look for housing in Ironwood township as opposed to the city of ironwood. We really only have 1 grocery store and a Walmart as our Kmart is now closing so you have to travel (or internet shop) if you need anything specific. As for pubs, we are on the border of hurley, WI which shamefully has about 12 strip
Clubs in a row followed by about 15 more regular bars across the intersection. There is no shortage of alcohol. It is a highly participated "sport" in the area due to lack of other things to do. If you like cold weather and outdoor activity, there are numerous ski hills and cross country ski trails as well as a bunch of snowmobile and snowshoe trails. If you don't like snow, don't come- it's like hell on earth. Other places complaining about blizzards can't compare. Nobody here bats an eyelash if they wake up and Can't find their Vehicle due to the weather the night before. Other than drinking and snow activities if it isn't below zero, there isn't a whole lot more to do in the winter. If we had long summers, I would love it here. Summer is amazing but extremely short. We have Lake Superior and you really can't beat it. Feel free to ask me any other questions. Sorry if I'm negative- I kind of hate living here!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Iron Mountain, MI is a more economically viable area with better paying jobs than Ironwood, MI. I've been through both places extensively. I would recommend exploring other options instead of only considering Ironwood.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 PM

29 posts, read 33,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Guy View Post
My wife and I (as well as our 3 young children) are also (strongly) considering a move to Ironwood (hopefully within the next 1-2 months) and have a question about cell service. What seems to be the best in that area? We're coming from North Florida where we have a wide variety to choose from, but we realize that may not be the case up there.
(First off, I realize this is kind of an older thread, so I'm really hoping my comment will even be seen.)

From everything we have read about Ironwood it really seems to be a great town to raise a family. Yes, we have done our homework on the economy up there and we realize that jobs are quite scarce. Fortunately for us, we are very resourceful (and thrifty!) and have never had much of a problem making money in service related businesses (we currently own a pretty successful housecleaning service, but realize that wouldn't work up there due to the economy).

I mostly just need info on cell service up that way. We truly appreciate any info we can get on the matter. Thank you in advance! We can't wait to be Yoopers! By the way, I have lived in Escanaba twice before, both times in the dead of winter. I realize that Ironwood gets a LOT more snow than Esky, as well as getting considerably colder. We're simply sick and tired of the heat and humidity of Florida. Besides my wife and kids have NEVER seen snow. We're all more than ready for the change.
Do not get ATT as their service absolutely sucks here. We switched to Verizon years ago. That's really your only choices besides straight talk here. But if you go to the lake or too far in the country, you cannot get cell service. PS, why move here from Florida?! We're considering the opposite. Haha
You better like snow and LOTS of it, freezing temps and a very very slow pace to life with little to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan