Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

I know there has been a lot of discussion , pros and cons. .. However , now that it's underway , how do you feel about it ? As of this morning , Four Wolf have been killed . Shood the killers be exposed? , So far only one has been identified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM

62 posts, read 116,563 times
Its only 43 animals being taken, a light trim on the population. I'd be more concerned if that number was 100 or over.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maersk View Post
Its only 43 animals being taken, a light trim on the population. I'd be more concerned if that number was 100 or over.
The considering question is its likely the ALPHA male thats been killed. The one yesterday in Baraga County was 80 lob or more.? Wolf's are family socialized , the pack is made up in that order. Getting rid of the main Guy disrupts the order of things. The Kill that was taken yesterday in Gogebic County was in one of the special areas where they think people and livestock are at harm It all grew from a false report from a woman that ran a day care center over there. All sorts of excuses , mostly lies , so they could be in the zone where the wolf's were "threading people " The other story going around is the wolf are killing all the deer , so the hunters have less to harvest ! Thais bull for sure! In fact the DNR weight in and said not so . What its all about is the trophy Kill. Jeff Powel said in his interview that he could not decide to make a rug , or a wall trophy......The hunter in Baraga County was from south Wisconsin., he refused to tell his name.or appear on camera..also an 80 .lb. one.

Right now I am staying indoors and stayin out of the woods till its over.......

Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I don't like it or agree with it. Everybody has a right to protect themselves and their livestock. When they become a problem let the people they are bothering take care of it, or the DNR. So there isn't any need for it.

The bloodlust is so disturbing. And if the want to manage the population why not just target specific animals and have the DNR take care of it? Old animals who can no longer hunt well are usually the biggest threat to livestock and people - but by opening it up to slavering 'we want to kill a trophy wolf just to kill one' types - well its not culling or managing its just sort of sick sport.
I've no problem with hunting to eat, hunting to manage a herd etc. but this is just sick.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
IS wolf the new entree of the UP? Does it really taste like chicken? What exactly does one do with a dead wolf--make a set of really cool moccasins or gloves?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
There have been hunting dogs killed by wolves and one pet on a tie out I know of.

I did have some links for the stories.....it is going to take me some time to find them.

Found one.

http://www.leadertelegram.com/news/d...a4bcf887a.html

http://www.dailypress.net/page/conte...id/543673.html

Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM

We do not want to get to this point.

Kid Cages at School Bus Stops Spark Outrage - David Spady - Page 1

Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 AM

One more link.......I will not post the pictures.......I can not look myself.

Attack by wolves on beagles detailed - MiningJournal.net | News, Sports, Jobs, Marquette Information | The Mining Journal

Old 11-18-2013, 03:03 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I know there has been a lot of discussion , pros and cons. .. However , now that it's underway , how do you feel about it ? As of this morning , Four Wolf have been killed . Shood the killers be exposed? , So far only one has been identified.
Didn't it turn out that the one farmer who lobbied the most to open the wolf hunting was lying to the DNR? And not taking proper precautions recommended by the DNR. And that the majority of cattle killed by wolves in Michigan were actually on his farm? Pretty sure there was a big expose a month or so ago in the state papers.

43 doesn't seem like a lot, until you realize they're considered an endangered species and there's only 630 something documented wolves in Michigan.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
If the reason for opening season is to take care of problem wolves, why would the DNR not grant permits to ranchers and property owners in the UP that are directly affected? Why open this up to sport/trophy hunters from anywhere including other states?

I am not against hunting per se, not at all. But limit the wolf licenses to those who are directly affected; especially those whose property or livestock is threatened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan