Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM

14 posts, read 20,157 times

Advertisements

I need information. My husband is faced with a decision to make on accepting a job offer in Troy, Michigan.
Any suggestions on what the best neighborhoods to live in and schools for my three young children will help me out so much. i live in a beutiful community in Ontario, Canada and I will be giving up so much. Please help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,165 times
Welcome. That is a pretty broad request, but ultimately there are many excellent communities right in and around Troy.
Troy itself is a good city with excellent schools. There is no reason to venture too far from Troy and/or neighboring suburbs as they will just result in a longer commute for your husband.

Ultimately, two main factors in where to look will be:
1) Price Range
2) Housing type - newer construction vs. older

Troy - excellent schools, more of a sprawling suburb without a core downtown but does have lots of shopping centers, and the most high-end mall in the region. Housing ranges from 1950s-early 2000s, anything from ranch houses on large lots to newer construction on cul-de-sacs. Good community center, library, aquatic center.

Rochester Hills - similar to Troy in many ways. A mix of older 1950s-1970s era homes, and some larger tracts of new construction too. Downtown Rochester has a nice downtown area with some bontique type shops and restaurants. Excellent schools. Good parks, and trails. Close to Stony Creek Metropark.

Birmingham - Excellent schools. One of the most expensive real estate markets in the state though. Does have a nice walkable downtown area but more of an entertainment destination with high-end restaurants and movie theaters. Tends to have a more wealthy vibe, that can be a turn-off to some. Housing ranges from $200k bungalows to $3 M+ custom mansions.

Bloomfield Township - Excellent schools. Tends to more larger lots and quieter. Portions similar to Troy or some portions more like Birmingham.

Royal Oak - probably overall the least expensive of the above option as much of Royal Oak is 1920s-1960s era homes and a lot of post-WWII bungalows. Generally older homes on smaller lots. Downtown Royal Oak is more of the twentysomething bar/club scene, but also some decent places for an older crowd. Downtown itself is not really oriented toward familes, but the schools are generally good by most measures.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,926 times
It might help if you elaborate on what you think you will be giving up. We love fixing disillusioned sensational stereotypes.

It will be harder to find Molson Canadian, the police don't usually ride on horseback and poutine is not as common. My heart breaks for you.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM

I have such a great life here surrounded by so much family. My home is my sanctuary and it is just beutiful. We are on a treed lot and it is so tranquil and peaceful. Kids go to a great school and have many friends. I just want to be in a neighborhood where it is clean, safe and friendly. I make friends easily and I am good with change. I would be giving up a perfect life here, but I know that we can make a new place our "home sweet home".

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Thank you so much DTWFlyer. You really gave me so much detailed insight on the various communities and I am equipped with so much more knowledge now. I think I will keep my focus on Troy, Rochester Hills and Bloomfield. The deciding factor for me would be the house and street on which it is located on. I want to feel safe and be outside with the kids exploring. This is both exciting and terrifying for me, but I am looking forward to the change that this will bring to our lives. Everyone in Ontario tends to stay in Ontario and generation after generation, no one ventures out. I am excited at the prospect of my children going to American schools and the possibility that they can make a life for themselves in the States. Life is pretty predictable here in Canada. This opportunity opens up so many doors for my husband and my children. I will go with the flow and enjoy the ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan