Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times

Advertisements

"Traffic" in NW Michigan consists of maybe sitting through 3 traffic light cycles. Whoever complains about "traffic" up here,, has never experienced real traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
well the thing in Charlevoix is there is one road through town, no other way around it...and the bridge goes up every 15 minutes. Traffic can be a bear trying to get through town. It is definetely not as bad as downstate though. We are lucky we live on the *right* side of the bridge, in the summer we can get into town and do our shopping, get gas, etc and never have to cross the bridge

Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 10,711 times
Default Living in Charlevoix

You will like it in Charlevoix, many things to do all year. Lots of concerts in the park in the summer, a city band over 120 years old, a big band with its' own ballroom, Moderator cut: advertising not allowed, a great CAR club, parks, trails, beaches galore. Born and lived here since 1948 and still haven't visited anyplace I would rather be living. Yes, the traffic bridge goes up every 30 minutes in the summer, but I just use that time to either read, listen to music on the CD or just daydream. If you feel the need to shop in a bigger city setting, Traverse City is less than an hour away, make an outing of it and visit some of the award winning wineries there. Hike the many trails in the area, and as you make frinds with the locals, you will learn of other things to do. Making friends here can be daunting, but as long as you don't complain or brag about the things you shouldn't, you will be accepted quite quick. Put on airs and you won't make many friends here. Basically just be humble and appreciative and you will be welcomed.
From a native.

Last edited by Yac; 02-28-2008 at 01:09 AM..

Old 03-01-2008, 03:27 AM

8 posts, read 46,177 times
I work in Charlevoix, lived there for four years. Now live in Petoskey (still work in Charlevoix). Charlevoix has very little to offer in the "off season" months. There are a few restaurants. Few of the real public beaches are "dog friendly" (thank God). The city becomes a mad house in the summer...and yes, it is beautiful. Petoskey is just as pretty and is growing like crazy. There are many shopping opportunities in Petoskey, very few in Charlevoix. Charlevoix does have three grocery stores, a K Mart (no WalMart...they fought against one and won), etc. Gaylord is not far, and most residents of Charlevoix go to Traverse City to do any real shopping. The schools are good academically, but depending on your children's interests and appearance, they may have a difficult time "fitting in" in Charlevoix. I'd suggest living in Petoskey if your husband can handle the drive. Much more in real estate there that is not vacation home, the rent is more reasonable, more things to do (theater has 8 screens, Charlevoix theater has 3). Hope that helps...let me know if you want more specifics. If you are rich, go with Chx, if not, head to P-town.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 AM

lol, If you need constant entertainment, if you need malls, if you need 50 chain restuaruants, etc, the Charlevoix is not for you.
I f you love peace, beauty, and doing things outside than its a great place for you....I beg to differ that there isnt much to do in the off season, you can ski, sled, snowmobile, ice fish, snow shoe, there are classes at the library, volunteer opps to keep you busy.

It always cracks me up when people say there isnt enough in Charlevoix, most people who live here prefer it that way.....who needs a damn Wal-mart when there is one 20 min North and another 45 min South and another 35 min East??? There is everything here you need to get by.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 AM

17 posts, read 73,812 times
Default Things To Do In Charlevoix Michigan

Okay...you want the truth about what to do in Charlevoix?

I, too followed my husband here. 18 years ago. I moved from a city in Florida with a population of 150,00. Other than being a genuine culture shock, of which, even after 18 years I still have not recovered from, there truley IS nothing to do. Charlevoix's "business district is one block deep and about 5 blocks long. Each block on one side allows for about 4 businesses. On the other side, there are about 8-9 businesses total. Almost all of the businesses are up scale retail shops, with just a few eating places sprinkled in. Other than one pizza place and a sub shop, and I do not like pizza, there is really nowhere to eat with a family. Don't care what anyone else says here, there is not anywhere that you will be comfortable taking your kids. there is a DQ about 2 miles south of downtown, but you sit outside and it is only open in the summer. In NW Michigan, that can only be 8-10 weeks long! There are 2 fast food joints just past the DQ and of course they are Mickey D's and the King. There is a family restaurant, a pizza place and a chinese place.

Unless there is some sort of festival going on (think there are 3-4, in the summer only) there is nothing to do with your kids. My kids, 12-9-7 have no desire to "window shop", there is one park, with no equipment and it is right downtown so you can't park to go there. There is one beach side park, with limited equipment like just a swing. If I am wrong, someone please leave a message here. I don't know what's wrong with my kids...asked if they wanted to go take a class at the library today and they thought I was nuts. I am actually getting in my car today and driving to Boyne City to spend the day with my kids. michigansnowflakes response to your question underlines my sense that Charlevoix is not a family focused community, rather a middle aged boating community. Library classes and volunteer opportunities...are you kidding?

We are upper middle class and absolutely do not shop in Charlevoix. The shops in Charlevoix are tourist oriented and very up scale. There are only 2 real grocery stores in Charlevoix and both are priced high as well. There is one Kmart, which is extremely understocked, does not sell groceries, only turns on half of the overhead lights so it feels dirty, and has a grumpy staff. I am not cheap, I do support locals, however, I do not feel that the "local businesses" are there for the community. None-the-less, my family finances take presidence. I, as do most year round residences of Charlevoix, drive to one of the 3 Walmarts that another writer mentioned here. I prefer the one in Petoskey because it is the closest, they sell groceries at a great price, and there are more things to do in Petoskey. Besides, the people that own the "local" grocery stores don't live in Charlevoix either...

michigansnowflake mentioned winter sports...LOL.. not in Charlevoix..gotta go to Boyne Falls, Harbor Springs or the Jordan Valley...nope, there are no winter sports in Charlevoix. If you do any of the things that were suggested by michigansnowflake you will have to do them on your own property or leave town as they suggested. There is no ski area closer than 25miles. You absolutely can NOT snowmobile in Charlevoix...are you kidding, gotta go somewhere else to do that as well. You can ice fish (but honestly, how many of us do that?) And I am not sure where this ice skating facility is located??? Charlevoix is all about boats...if you don't have a boat, you won't have anything to do. Oh, and you can only use the boat during the 8-10 weeks I mentioned earlier.

Why am I still living here? Because this is where my husband grew up, and he works in a prestigous position with local government...he does not want to move...he can't help it...doesn't know there is something better out there.

Last edited by nw michigan; 05-25-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Damn, you are bitter and must live in a totally different Charlevoix than I. Thats too bad cause we always have something to do, whatever season it is

Old 05-25-2008, 04:49 PM

17 posts, read 73,812 times
Default no, not bitter at all

No, I am not bitter at all. I merely described Charlevoix Michigan (same one) exactly as it is. I spent the day in Boyne City and ran into 4 families who had also taken their children to the Boyne City park for the day...there simply is nothing to do with children in Charlevoix. Instead of attacking me personally, why don't you give some real suggestions to people visiting Charlevoix with children...I personally would welcome any suggestions you may have.

If I were looking for homes to rent I would look toward Petoskey. It is not as tourist oriented as Charlevoix, and is not as expensive. If you are used to living in a large city, you won't mind the 15-20 mile drive to work. It is a beautiful drive and a nice highway all the way. They keep the road nice in the winter and traffic flows at 55-60.

Last edited by nw michigan; 05-25-2008 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2008, 07:10 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,337 times
We looked at my husband taking a job in Petoskey last year. Well, actually the job was supposed to be in Petoskey, but was really in Gaylord. So we evaluated the area over a weekend.

The area is GORGEOUS. The views SPECTACULAR.

The folks that we met were nice, but most of them were involved in the job offer, so they had to be nice.

But it was pretty telling to me when we were looking for souviners to take home to the kids that all of the shops were completely closed at 4 pm-- if open at all. People said they stay open later in the summer.

The housing was nice-- but we were looking at homes in the $400,000 to $600,000 range.

The higher end resaurants were quite nice- but not anywhere that I would take my kids.

And, ultimately, the lack of a Target was too much for me to handle. The nearest was in Traverse and I am far too used to my 10 minute trip a few times a week.

We are from SE MI and it would have been a complete culture shock. I know that there are many people who enjoy the Up North lifestyle and they would be really flipped out in the area where I live. But that's just it. Up North living is a lifestyle, and it may take a while to adapt. I, like the other writer, didn't think I could make that adaptation.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
We looked at my husband taking a job in Petoskey last year. Well, actually the job was supposed to be in Petoskey, but was really in Gaylord. So we evaluated the area over a weekend.

The area is GORGEOUS. The views SPECTACULAR.

The folks that we met were nice, but most of them were involved in the job offer, so they had to be nice.

But it was pretty telling to me when we were looking for souviners to take home to the kids that all of the shops were completely closed at 4 pm-- if open at all. People said they stay open later in the summer.

The housing was nice-- but we were looking at homes in the $400,000 to $600,000 range.

The higher end resaurants were quite nice- but not anywhere that I would take my kids.

And, ultimately, the lack of a Target was too much for me to handle. The nearest was in Traverse and I am far too used to my 10 minute trip a few times a week.

We are from SE MI and it would have been a complete culture shock. I know that there are many people who enjoy the Up North lifestyle and they would be really flipped out in the area where I live. But that's just it. Up North living is a lifestyle, and it may take a while to adapt. I, like the other writer, didn't think I could make that adaptation.

Thats true and perfectly fine, just dont knock what others love....I love the fact that there isnt a store on every corner, a mall within 10 minutes, big box stores and heavy traffic every where.........different strokes.......but to say there isnt ANYTHING to do in Charlevoix is absurd! The other poster isnt looking hard enough, expects too much (se mi 24/7 entertaiment) and cant see the forest for the trees. That person needs to move to a big city where they can have their every want and need filled NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan