Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 AM

55 posts, read 195,461 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at relocating back to Michigan! YAY! Although we are familiar with West Michigan, the relocation area will be either Trenton/Wyandotte or Midland, MI. Any information on EITHER areas would prove very helpful. Our kids are out of high school now, so schools are not an issue. In looking on every apartment website imaginable, including Craigslist, I find VERY FEW listings for Trenton and the surrounding areas.

We would prefer a townhouse actually with no one living above or below us, even moreso a house to rent. Our wishlist is a 2-3 bedroom with at least a 1.5 bath, better 2. Budget $900-$1300 if possible. Any specifics about the area(s) listed above would be great as well!!! Availability of rentals is a big issue obviously and not fond of a long commute. Again, the job would be in Trenton specifically, possibly Midland.

Personally LOVE LOVE LOVE a walkable downtown area- shops, restaurants, etc.... I like downtown Holland, MI if anyone is familiar. LOVE a nice sized farmer's market. Nice library in town and good grocery stores--- I do like Meijers. We like the proximity to the chain/box stores, but enjoy a hometown, community atmosphere with different foodie places and mom/pop dining too.

Any church recommendations are very welcome as well!! Looking forward to meeting friendly people in a caring community. Really can't wait for this possibility, and any help out there would be so very appreciated!! THANKS so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 PM

123 posts, read 224,800 times
Congrats on the relo back!
I am not a downriver expert but I do know something about the area. I would say downtown Wyandotte would be the closest to Holland that you would find downriver. Grosse Isle is a very nice community and while it does not have a downtown per say it is very close to Wyandotte. I could be wrong on this also but I think Grosse Isle is more welcoming to new comers where a lot of the other downriver communities are more clannish - again a downriverite might be able to add more insight into this. If you are willing to put up with a longer job commute then also check out Plymouth and Northville. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM

THANKS SO MUCH for the welcome back and great thoughts on the areas! Appreciate the perspective of possible clannish issues.... I get it about Plymouth and Northville. Had searched those areas before and they look AWESOME!! But yeah, quite a ways from the downriver job prospect. Appreciate your vote for Wyandotte, as only someone who has been through both Holland and the areas downriver would know what I am looking for!

Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,165,802 times
I grew up in the downriver area. Wyandotte doesn't have many apartments, they do have flats. A lot of older homes that were turned into two unit rentals. Trenton has some apartments but many over the years were turned into small condos. Woodhaven and Riverview border these cities and have a lot more apartments. Grosse Ile is nice but very little rental ability. Its a community with homes (mostly upscale), there may be some rentals but it wouldn't be apartments.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Thanks fallingwater! I will definitely look into the Woodhaven area-- it looks like a bigger area. As you said, will help with more rental possibilities. Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:27 PM

4,691 posts, read 307,977 times
I live in Lincoln Park. If I were to move, it would be to Trenton. Nice little town, beautiful Elizabeth Park, and within minutes to several nice shopping areas. I lived there many years ago, and still miss it.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
I live in Lincoln Park. If I were to move, it would be to Trenton. Nice little town, beautiful Elizabeth Park, and within minutes to several nice shopping areas. I lived there many years ago, and still miss it.
Thanks much, I appreciate your input!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 PM

317 posts, read 536,243 times
Midland is not somewhere I'd want to live. It's basically farm country.

Trenton and the surrounding downriver area is fairly decent. You're going to have to get used to the traffic, though. Woodhaven would be my first choice. Maybe Gibraltar, too.

Welcome back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan