Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,361 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am planning to relocate to Laning/EL/Okemos area.
I am wondering how users of the Okemos school feel about the school.
I recently visited Okemos schools and was shocked by the class size (30 kids/group, 1 group of 60 kids split in 2 teachers).
I do not think that personnel/teachers can really keep up with the children in such big groups.
Also concerns us that 5th grade and after, students change schools very 2 years... teachers will not know the student body, and who is in trouble, who is good influence, etc.

I search for a private academically high-achieving school, but I did not find one.

Is the overcrowded impression we had a problem truly?
Is there a good private option, (small class size, control and knowledge of kids in the school?)
other school district that do not pull hundreds of kids in the same grade together?

Thank you for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Okemos is one of the more elite school districts in the Lansing area if not the state from what I understand.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anainesvs View Post
Hello,
I am planning to relocate to Laning/EL/Okemos area.
I am wondering how users of the Okemos school feel about the school.
I recently visited Okemos schools and was shocked by the class size (30 kids/group, 1 group of 60 kids split in 2 teachers).
I do not think that personnel/teachers can really keep up with the children in such big groups.
Also concerns us that 5th grade and after, students change schools very 2 years... teachers will not know the student body, and who is in trouble, who is good influence, etc.

I search for a private academically high-achieving school, but I did not find one.

Is the overcrowded impression we had a problem truly?
Is there a good private option, (small class size, control and knowledge of kids in the school?)
other school district that do not pull hundreds of kids in the same grade together?

Thank you for your comments.
Why would kids changing schools every two years after 5th grade be a bad thing? That actually makes for smaller schools, which is what you're advocating for...

Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
Okemos schools continue to be one of the top in the state. That being said, East Lansing and Haslett schools are also very good and in the same area surrounding the University. Many people choose one over the other (Okemos, Haslett, East Lansing) for academics, sports, diversity in student culture and climate, expanded course offerings in non traditional areas, community education, extra curricular offerings etc. You might want to visit the other two schools and get a feel for them as well.

Having been an educator in a very high performing school/competitive public school district for 33 years, I'll preach that the reinforcement at home and from home is the BEST indicator of success in a student. The schools see your children for 6 hours a day, what a parent/guardian does the other 18 hours should support/reinforce/enhance/expand the foundation of the time spent in the classroom. The most successful students are those who have a strong, consistent support system of outside the classroom.

Lansing Catholic and Lansing Christian are the private schools in the area; I'm not familiar with their academic programs.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
You will find 30 students in a class pretty much everywhere you go in Michigan.
I have 34 this year. I had 31 last year. It is the norm.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
Basically all of the private schools in Michigan are either religious, or for young children (usually 6th grade and under.) This is definitely true in the Greater Lansing Area. I suppose you could commute to Bloomfield Hills and send your kids to Cranbrook or something like that.

But seriously, Okemos (and East Lansing if I recall correctly) are like in the top 5 percent of all schools (public or private) in the nation. If they aren't good enough for your kids, then not very many places are going to be.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,361 times
Thank you to all the people that answer my query. Your feedback is very useful.
If someone has a particular experience/feedback about Kinawa school I will appreciate it very much. It is an Okemos school but the 'greatschools' score looks much lower than the other schools, and I wonder why.
Best, and thank you again for the responses.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:57 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Why not look into East Lansing or Haslett Schools, both of which are also very good?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 9,337 times
My son went to Kinawa (moved to Chippewa this year). We came from a different state (and honestly quite mediocre school district) and despite being a good student there my son really struggled at Kinawa. It was eye-opening for me to see the difference in education standards and expectations. The academics in Okemos schools is strong and the teachers are very good. Being demanding the teachers are also very helpful. They stayed after school with my son many times and he improved significantly. I can see a huge difference between our old schools and Okemos ones. He loves Chippewa much more than Kinawa though - better teachers, more interesting classes, week-long camp coming next month

Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,770 times
I'm in high school right now - 30 kids in a class is normal, and any decent teacher manages the class well and maintains a relationship with most of the students in their class. And since okemos is a very high performing school, I'd think most of the teachers there are more than capable to handle a class of 30 students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan