Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:38 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,068,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
there is nothing at all "misleading" about what happened to the auto industry in 2008. 40% of the market went away in just a few days (leasing pretty much stopped entirely) people with 760+ credit scores were being *denied* financing. Not just for GM cars, for any car. Even Hondas and Toyotas. In the aftermath, the big three closed half their dealerships & reduced their production capacity by half. Michigan took the brunt of that loss, but many places in this country that *thought* they were immune to the auto industry's charms got their behinds handed to them as well. Here in Az, the wealthy suburb of Scottsdale lost a gaggle of dealerships (and associated jobs!), along with a healthy dose of city sales-tax revenue - to the point they were laying city workers off, for the first time ever. Every automaker in the world was instantly on the ropes & it had nothing to do with "bad decisions" or union wages.

My problem with your statements is that you're so quick to excuse the bankers from any responsibility at all & at the very same time toss the "uneducated" workers under the bus. Instead of being even a little bit mad at the people who actually did destroy the economy, you're taking a cheap shot at the victims of that financial crime. GM wasn't a "healthy" company in 2008, but absent the complete financial meltdown that occurred, they would have continued plodding along for at least another decade before hitting a wall financially & during that time, they would have paid out tens of billions of dollars in wages & benefits. That's a *good* thing. Every day that went by before they went bankrupt meant the retirement plans were better funded & the employees were one day older.

Now you're trying to replace jobs that didn't need to be replaced, but for the criminal acts of a few well-connected domestic terrorists, and you're seemingly *happy* about it because you get to gloat about "unions" and "uneducated people" who made more than you did.
Um.....no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 07:20 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Michigan unemployment on par with national rate for first time in 15 years | MLive.com

Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 AM

49 posts, read 59,996 times
Peak of the auto industry was 1979. The state has been in a death spiral ever since. I don't know any sharp kids who dream of moving back "home" after college; they're all fleeing to California, down south, Chicago or D.C. And their parents can't wait to retire and move to Florida, Arizona, maybe a small % to the Lk. Michigan coast, e.g. Traverse City.

What you have left is a higher and higher concentration of mostly mediocre students without the money or skills to move to even nearby Chicago (which is by all accounts a very easy city to move to).

Down south AC is cheap and the towns are clean. Don't have to worry about crumbling infrastructure and Flint, Pontiac, Saginaw, Detroit violent crime.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
Peak of the auto industry was 1979. The state has been in a death spiral ever since. I don't know any sharp kids who dream of moving back "home" after college; they're all fleeing to California, down south, Chicago or D.C. And their parents can't wait to retire and move to Florida, Arizona, maybe a small % to the Lk. Michigan coast, e.g. Traverse City.

What you have left is a higher and higher concentration of mostly mediocre students without the money or skills to move to even nearby Chicago (which is by all accounts a very easy city to move to).

Down south AC is cheap and the towns are clean. Don't have to worry about crumbling infrastructure and Flint, Pontiac, Saginaw, Detroit violent crime.

Then you don't know the right people. I graduated with a very high GPA (college and high school) and have a high IQ as well. I moved away and came back. So have dozens of my childhood friends. And I hung out with my peers in my AP classes. Hard to argue that we are not 'sharp'.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:

Lol yeah that's why Michigan has seen population gains for every decade except this last one and is now back to gaining population. Same with Metro Detroit. And you want to talk about Chicago? Why are they reporting that the entire state of Illinois is beginning to lose population? Chicago and Illinois government are going down fast. People are even discussing bankruptcy now. And don't get me wrong I love Chicago but don't pretend like it's all sunshine and rainbows out there right now, they are having much of the problems we were facing just a few years ago.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:43 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:

I meet people almost every day moving back to Michigan from somewhere else, particularly from Chicago. I think it's a good idea for college grads to move away from their home state for a while.

The #1 destination for Michigan college grads used to be Chicago, closely followed by Atlanta and the Southwest cities. In the last couple of years of surveys the #1 destination for Michigan college grads was Grand Rapids/West Michigan. Sort of shocking. This is a survey done by the Michigan Colleges Alliance every year.

Here's a survey from 2011: http://www.michigancolleges.org/file...rt_6_23_11.pdf

Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 AM

485 posts, read 966,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Lol yeah that's why Michigan has seen population gains for every decade except this last one and is now back to gaining population. Same with Metro Detroit. And you want to talk about Chicago? Why are they reporting that the entire state of Illinois is beginning to lose population? Chicago and Illinois government are going down fast. People are even discussing bankruptcy now. And don't get me wrong I love Chicago but don't pretend like it's all sunshine and rainbows out there right now, they are having much of the problems we were facing just a few years ago.
What IS going on with Chicago anyway? I know there was a shooting spree lately, I suppose that doesn't help matters much.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
What IS going on with Chicago anyway? I know there was a shooting spree lately, I suppose that doesn't help matters much.
they're having shooting sprees because they don't have enough guns.

Apparently, when only the bad guys have guns, they go wild. Whodathunk it?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

Chicago lifted their ban on guns over a year ago.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
It's getting hot out. Shooting sprees happen often in Chicago during the warmer months. The gang violence there is and always has been out of control but I think they have been improving slightly. Just a few years ago they were at 500 murders a year.
Quote:

Exactly, good try but it didn't work. All it did was open up a huge black market.
Quote:
Chicago lifted their ban on guns over a year ago.
Thank God. I was so happy for Chicagoans when they lifted that gun ban. They deserve to protect themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan