Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: GOP voters, whom will you vote for?
Cruz 4 12.50%
Kasich 8 25.00%
Rubio 3 9.38%
Trump 14 43.75%
Other 0 0%
Undecided 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times

Advertisements

Kasich is way too much of a flip flopper for me, much like Hillary on the Dem side. He says whatever he thinks will make him popular on both sides of an issue. A sign of maturity in a candidate is to take a stand on an issue based on personal convictions, regardless of how popular or unpopular it makes you. There are always going to be people who don't like or support you when you are running for an elected office, and people can sniff out a flip flopper from a mile away, which is why I think Kasich is tanking virtually everywhere. In the case of Hillary, she is still winning in spite of it because it seems like Bernie is too radical for most people and scares the bejeepers out of them.

I also can't back Trump because he is all talk and bluster but with nothing backing it up but arrogance and pride. "We're gonna build a wall and we're gonna make Mexico pay for it!" and the people clap and adore him without once thinking, "Hey, how in the world is it logistically possible to build a wall of this magnitude and how in the world do we demand that Mexico pay for it?" with absolutely no real, concrete explanation from King Donald.

Cruz has his own issues, and no candidate is perfect, but I have researched him and found that he, however grudgingly, does get accolades from both sides of the aisle for his intelligence and record of standing on his convictions. I won't get into a long, pointless, discussion here with anyone regarding my personal values, Ted Cruz's personal values, or your personal values, because that is all subjective and you cannot argue opinions, they are what they are. I'll just say that right now I support Cruz and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 01:30 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
If someone had a gun to my head and forced me to choose a republican, I'll go with Kasich because he was the only adult on the stage and the only one imo who sound like he has a solid half decent plan and experience in the field, not just a big talker. Most of them just sound like big talkers, of course that's what you have to do to get votes but Trump is full of hot air like none other. How in the hell is Kasich in last place? Because the other candidates make a bunch of noise? Their recent debate in Detroit was laughable, especially between Trump and Rubio. If he pressed on the Trump University issue any longer there would have been a fist fight. But this is just from me watching one debate.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:07 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I do believe people who support Trump may be keeping it to themselves.
Many people like his ideas. The problem is the way he's going about presenting them. He's coming off as a racist buffoonish clown. The way to advocate against mass immigration and in support of a border wall isn't to come out and attack Mexicans, but rather to argue that it's in the economic interest lower class Americans. Unfortunately, he's set the battle to reduce immigration back for years now.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Many people like his ideas. The problem is the way he's going about presenting them. He's coming off as a racist buffoonish clown. The way to advocate against mass immigration and in support of a border wall isn't to come out and attack Mexicans, but rather to argue that it's in the economic interest lower class Americans. Unfortunately, he's set the battle to reduce immigration back for years now.

I think you have a point here. I personally support controlling the border, taking a tough stance on illegal immigration just as many Americans do. However he could have supported his position on immigration while being respectful of Mexico and our legal Mexican immigrants. Most Americans support legal Mexican immigration. He absolutely looked like a racist here. His belief that our trade agreements were poorly negotiated and hurt the American worker are also popular, and personally I agree with that sentiment myself. Its hard however to see common sense positions he holds because of the zenophobic views he holds. His obvious lack of knowledge on critical issues is also something that cannot be ignored.
He also is the most un-Presidential acting candidate I have ever seen. His juvenile banter with people like Megan Kelly, or Rosie O'Donnell is pathetic. Getting into an argument with the Pope? Really? When I see him I don't know whether to laugh when I see him, or be fearful for our nations future. My gosh we can do better.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:34 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I do believe people who support Trump may be keeping it to themselves. The state I live in has already voted and Trump won the republican primary here. However I cant find anyone who admits to voting for him. What I do find is people horrified at the idea he could win the nomination and be President. Kasich should be doing well in Michigan being a Midwestern governor but the polls say he will get nothing there. Polls also say Trump will win big in Michigan. I don't understand how Trump is doing this, seems everywhere he goes he is getting a lot of support in spite of his foolish comments and apparent lack of substantive knowledge he should possess to be President. Michigan and Ohio are going to make him unstoppable if he wins both of them.
8 people have chosen Trump in this poll and not one has come out and said why. I did read that people who are attracted to Trump like an authoritarian style of leader, and like him because he will protect them.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
8 people have chosen Trump in this poll and not one has come out and said why. I did read that people who are attracted to Trump like an authoritarian style of leader, and like him because he will protect them.
Nobody has said why, because they're ashamed of it, but we all know why people like Trump. He's gonna "make America great again" by giving it back to its people. You know, the ones who look like Americans.

I may start a war with this post, and if I do please feel welcome to delete it, but I'm going to say what we all know, but nobody comes right out and says. Trump's entire campaign is seething with racial overtones and it's giving his supporters an outlet for that racism. "Don't like Mexican Americans? We're building a wall. Don't like Syrian Americans? We're not gonna let 'em in. David Duke, former leader of the KKK? Well ... y'know... we don't really know much about that." Are you kidding me? His entire campaign is built around focusing the latent fear and hate of that which is different into his joke of a campaign, and it's working. I don't know if Donald Trump is a racist or not, he may not be, but he is playing the part quite well and it is getting him votes.

Anyone claiming it's because he's a "self-made" man, a brilliant entrepreneur or "says what he thinks" is just looking for more socially acceptable excuses to explain why they like him. He's not a self-made man, the dude was born with more money and access to the ruling-class than I will ever have. He has countless failures, including a mortgage company he tried starting in 2006 - yeah, that's a smart business move, and do you know who else says what he thinks? My 5 year old nephew. I like him, and sometimes he's incredibly funny when he just says whatever is on his mind, but let me assure you that he is in no way qualified to President of the United States.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The OP chose a private poll............if knowing is THAT important to you........open a pubic poll.........let us all see everyone's pick.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
I'm undecided.

I know that none of the candidates left are perfect, but I can think of more reasons to dislike them than to vote for them.

There just isn't one thing for me that "trumps" (for lack of a better word) and gives a major edge to any one candidate.

I'm really disappointed that my preferred candidate dropped out.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
I voted for Trump in the poll and will likely do so tomorrow. I'm an Independent.

I'm voting for Trump because I like to think we live in a democractic republic. That's a system set up where the majority vote prevails unless it conflicts with a protected right right of the minority. We have a system where the powers that be selected Clinton and Rubio as the "establishment" candidates. But the people of America want something different - they see the effects of politicians like Cruz who "stand up for principles" or sign "no new tax pledges" but then can't compromise or function once elected. You can't run a company without buy in from your subordinates or Congress.

The majority of Republicans in various states have voted to endorse Trump as their leader. Which is their right. And then "big donors" get mad and tell the people - you're far too stupid, you can't be left to make your own choice for who should be president - you have to take our selection. So they started the "Anyone but Trump" movement. That to me is the offensive part - that lobbyists/donors don't respect voters enough to let them vote for whomever they wish. And that audacity angers me enough to vote for Trump even though I agree little with his views, I will defend his right to have them and the process to work. So my vote is for democracy - not his positions.

As for Sanders/Clinton - I'd vote for Sanders but I'm afraid he'll die before a first term is up.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:13 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
As for Sanders/Clinton - I'd vote for Sanders but I'm afraid he'll die before a first term is up.
I know he looks like he's 100, but he's only 74 and his physician gave him a clean bill of health.

That being said, I respect your reasoning for voting Trump, but remember in Michigan we can vote either party we want. Either one of these guys is a vote against the establishment and while Trump appears to still be in the driver's seat for the GOP, an extra vote for Bernie could make all the difference. Either way, I support your decision. Thanks for clarifying that, it's a perspective I've not heard before, and my apologies for my semi-ignorant post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan