Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 AM

87 posts, read 309,371 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer some recommendations of good campgrounds near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore? I would be looking for electric hookup and good bathroom facilities and something more quaint and peaceful that something that draws tons loud families and younger groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 11:19 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Wandering Wheels campground in Munising.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 AM

29 posts, read 56,715 times
Wandering Wheels is usually fairly quiet; provided the log home place isn't peeling logs!

Old 05-07-2017, 03:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
I almost do not want to give this place away. Au Train lake campground. It was a fabulous camp spot. Heavily forested. So much so that a huge storm hit, and while the tree tops were waving madly, we did not even feel the wind at ground level. Very pretty, on a decent little lake, nicely located away from the towns, but just a short drive to Munising and only about an hour to Marquette. We stopped at another campground (that was sold out) and got swarmed by blackflies, for whatever reason we did nto encounter blackflies at Au train lake. The lake itself is just a small fairly shllow lake. There are pike in it, not sure if there is anyhting else. We are going back this year, will stay in the same place.

Small side issue, we would substnatially recommend the Northern Kayak Adventure or whatever over Uncle Ducky or whatever that is called. UNcle Ducky advertises more, but Norther is more down to earth, helpful, frinedly, etc.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I almost do not want to give this place away. Au Train lake campground. It was a fabulous camp spot. Heavily forested. So much so that a huge storm hit, and while the tree tops were waving madly, we did not even feel the wind at ground level. Very pretty, on a decent little lake, nicely located away from the towns, but just a short drive to Munising and only about an hour to Marquette. We stopped at another campground (that was sold out) and got swarmed by blackflies, for whatever reason we did nto encounter blackflies at Au train lake. The lake itself is just a small fairly shllow lake. There are pike in it, not sure if there is anyhting else. We are going back this year, will stay in the same place.

Small side issue, we would substnatially recommend the Northern Kayak Adventure or whatever over Uncle Ducky or whatever that is called. UNcle Ducky advertises more, but Norther is more down to earth, helpful, frinedly, etc.
We were actually just looking at that campground few days ago. Do they have any electric or is it all primitive?

Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
I do not remember whether there is any electricity available at all or not. I used the inverter in my truck to fill the air mattresses, so I think there was probably no electrical outlet at the campsite. We used bag showers and just filled up at their spigot. I do remember someone having a generator running at night. (Annoying until you get used to it). They have pit toilets,but they were very clean and not smelly.

The advantage of it being so primitive is there were a lot of empty sites and the sites are pretty spread out.

Looks like we will be back up there this year. We are going to L'Anse first to see the Canyon Falls canyon (Michigan's grand canyon). I think we will camp in the L'Anse township park unless someone has a better suggestion. Any information or suggestions on L'Anse or the canyon hike are welcome. Is any part of the canyon canoe-able? The the L'Anse bay worth hauling the canoe up to explore?

We will also stop at Lake Au Train and then Taquamenon Falls Campground but there is nothing at either location worth hauling the Canoe all the way up there. Only the L'Anse bay, or the Canyon would make it worthwhile.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-10-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-10-2017, 10:24 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,252,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2d Bald Dude View Post
Can anyone offer some recommendations of good campgrounds near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore? I would be looking for electric hookup and good bathroom facilities and something more quaint and peaceful that something that draws tons loud families and younger groups.

I think you want your cake and eat it too. If you want electricity and flush toilets they come with an inherently louder clientele and during busy season they fill up faster. At least that has been my experience.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not remember whether there is any electricity available at all or not. I used the inverter in my truck to fill the air mattresses, so I think there was probably no electrical outlet at the campsite. We used bag showers and just filled up at their spigot. I do remember someone having a generator running at night. (Annoying until you get used to it). They have pit toilets,but they were very clean and not smelly.

The advantage of it being so primitive is there were a lot of empty sites and the sites are pretty spread out.

Looks like we will be back up there this year. We are going to L'Anse first to see the Canyon Falls canyon (Michigan's grand canyon). I think we will camp in the L'Anse township park unless someone has a better suggestion. Any information or suggestions on L'Anse or the canyon hike are welcome. Is any part of the canyon canoe-able? The the L'Anse bay worth hauling the canoe up to explore?

We will also stop at Lake Au Train and then Taquamenon Falls Campground but there is nothing at either location worth hauling the Canoe all the way up there. Only the L'Anse bay, or the Canyon would make it worthwhile.
Thanks, that's fine with me. No part of Canyon Falls is kayakable that I know, you'll see why when you go. It is freaking amazing, and extremely rocky. There is a real nice path along the river back to the more amazing parts. There is also a Burger King in La Anse with a Water fall near it, you need to see it, quite amazing also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: