Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:16 AM

136 posts, read 129,781 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on Saline, Grass Lake, Chelsea?

That's where we are looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Saline is a quaint picturesque little old fashioned city. They have great schools. The downtown is mostly restored (but a little bit bastardized with McDonalds autozone and their ilk). It i s more a pace to live than a place to go, but they do host a lot of neat events and festivals. We attend several different SCA events there. Also their Celtic Festival is pretty neat. Saline is reasonably close to Ann Arbor and not completely out of the question commute to Detroit.

Grass Lake I know only a little about. It is s small town/villiage on a shallow weedy lake. It is clean and pleasant. It is one of those cute little towns along Michgian Avenue that you wonder where you are because it is quaint looking. The schools are not reputed to be all that great, but they are not in the "bad schools" It is close to Jackson not too far form Ann Arbor and close to Chelsea.

Chelsea is one of, or the signature small town suburb in Detroit Metro. It is more a suburb of Ann Arbor because Detroit is a bit of a long commute. Chelsea has an adorably quaint downtown, a neat professional theater, and is very clean and pleasant. It is far form cheap. Schools are outstanding. The housing stock is amazing.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:38 AM

136 posts, read 129,781 times
Excellent, thank you!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:24 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I will add Yankee Springs recreation area, Gun Lake, and Charlton Park (all in the Hastings area), the Ada/Rockford area in general is very pretty, wine country west of Kalamazoo and down through the southwest corner of the state. Much of the surrounding Kalamazoo area is actually very nice, with lakes and rolling hills. There are many more. I will post when I think of them.
I just did a little mountain biking at Yankee Springs and that area is really beautiful.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:58 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Waterloo and Pinkney recreation areas are awesome also. Tons of lakes, rolling hills...kinda feels out of place downstate.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Waterloo and Pinkney recreation areas are awesome also. Tons of lakes, rolling hills...kinda feels out of place downstate.
If you are gong to go that far, you can go to Hell.

No much there really, but it is fun to say you went there. Funny souvenirs. Send someone a postcard, or buy them a square inch of hell.

I took my wife (pre-wifeness) there for a picnic for our second date. It was a cold day in hell. There was a fire in a barrel near where we stopped to eat our picnic we made a lot of corny jokes about hell fire and brimestone (nearby rocks) etc. It was quite fun. On a warm day in hell, you can go canoeing and there is a neat rope swing in a tree that you can swing out and jump into the lake. It is not as pretty as other water places, but still fairly nice. There is a herd of buffalo on a farm on the way there.

Also the roads in the area are fabulous for driving a British roadster on a nice spring, summer or fall day (twisty, treey, pretty often running alongside small lakes). You can drive it in a Honda or something, but it is not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan