Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 8,496 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both from Michigan and are living on the east coast. We are looking to possibly relocate back to Michigan but don't quite know where to start. I asked a few years ago but life has changed so I thought I would ask for recommendations. Neither of us are looking to move back to our home towns.

Criteria: 3 bedroom houses for $300k or less
Good schools (they don't need to be excellent)
Not looking for a big city or big suburban area
Preferably Within 30 minutes of a college or university

Right now, Rockford is a town we are looking at. We will be back in Michigan for a visit soon and would like to take a look at a few more towns.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Grand Haven or South Haven maybe? Lovely place. There is a boatload of colleges in Grand Rapids/Allendale. Grand Valley is the big one but several major universities have extensions there and there are also four or five small colleges. The west side of the State is less crowded and prettier.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPink View Post
My husband and I are both from Michigan and are living on the east coast. We are looking to possibly relocate back to Michigan but don't quite know where to start. I asked a few years ago but life has changed so I thought I would ask for recommendations. Neither of us are looking to move back to our home towns.

Right now, Rockford is a town we are looking at. We will be back in Michigan for a visit soon and would like to take a look at a few more towns.

Thanks!
Rockford will be hit or miss in terms of your price range, but is definitely an attractive area to live. If Rockford has your interest I'd also look at Cedar Springs, Comstock Park, Walker, Hudsonville, and Lowell. All going to be within that Grand Rapids sphere of influence meeting your criteria.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,709 times
Default Agree

Rockford is great but a little more expensive. Lowell is a little more affordable. Lowell is really nice, strong community and close to Grand Rapids. It has its own downtown and great schools.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:17 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
If you don't want to move back to your hometowns it might help to know what they are

Old 09-10-2017, 12:18 PM

214 posts, read 286,318 times
I am originally from Rochester, and we just moved back after 15 years away. We found a great selection of homes (same price range as you would like) in the Waterford/ Clarkston area which puts us in good school districts (for resale value only as our kids are grown). We are within minutes of DTE Music Theater, Oakland University wirh Meadowbrook Theater and Music Festival, and not a bad drive at all to Ann Arbor or MSU. Downtown Detroit is within easy reach as well. Honestly I never knew much about this area but we are very pleased! (We have an exemplary realtor, if you need a referral. No, it's not me but it made our looking much more focused to have someone great to work with in the north Oakland areas. PM if you'd like the name.)

Old 09-10-2017, 07:06 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPink View Post
Minus the third point, you've described where we live in Ann Arbor perfectly.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times
My #1 choice: Ann Arbor and surrounding areas ... absolutely wonderful.
#2: Traverse City. Mid sized college town.

I'm a native Michigander.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
I am surprised no one mentioned Kalamazoo/Portage area. It fits the OP's criteria to a TEE. Western Michigan and K-College are right there.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:34 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I would look at Ann Arbor and also the surrounding area. Saline, Dexter, etc. Dundee is a nice little town about a 30 minute drive south of Ann Arbor with good schools. Your money goes further in those communities as they are developing but are in no way overdeveloped yet. Much of it is still farmland. For 300K you would be able to buy a newer, larger home with all the bells and whistles there. Even on 200K I'd imagine you'd find something quite nice.

I actually considered an apartment in Dundee as a single person but chose Ann Arbor simply to be close to work. The truth is if I had chosen Dundee, my dollar in terms of housing quality would have stretched a lot further. Like many people, it became a toss-up of short commute vs. luxury amenities. My apartment is very basic but I love Ann Arbor. Very walkable, excellent schools, access to nature, and a short bike ride to downtown and great restaurants all made choose to be here. In the smaller communities you still have quaint downtowns but the quality isn't the same. But some people prefer the lack of congestion and traffic, plus the housing benefits I mentioned above.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-14-2017 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan