Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

I would not count on most of Livingston County and Western Oakland county being an hour from DTW. Especially places like Fowlerville, Pinckney/Hell, and parts of Dexter. Some of those places take 20--30 minutes to get to a freeway, then depending on the time of day, another 60--75 minutes to get near DTW.

If I had the budget of $400K+ I would be looking at Washtenaw County. Probably near Dixboro or along Geddes Road. East of US 23 and no further north than North Territorial and west of Ridge Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 01:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I would not count on most of Livingston County and Western Oakland county being an hour from DTW. Especially places like Fowlerville, Pinckney/Hell, and parts of Dexter. Some of those places take 20--30 minutes to get to a freeway, then depending on the time of day, another 60--75 minutes to get near DTW.

If I had the budget of $400K+ I would be looking at Washtenaw County. Probably near Dixboro or along Geddes Road. East of US 23 and no further north than North Territorial and west of Ridge Road.
Google Maps said Hell to DTW 51 minutes yesterday when it was snowing. Sometimes it will obviously be longer, but I anticipated the OP meant average times. the only way to be within an hour guaranteed is to live in Romulus location where you could walk there within an hour if necessary. Otherwise, any place can be more than a hour at times.

Freeways are not necessary. most of those location you may not be on a freeway much if at all. I drive to the airport in less than an hour, but I never get on a freeway. It takes 42 minutes usually. My friend in Ypsi township also stays off the freeway and can be at DTW in less than an hour.

If I were the OP I would not look only at how long the drive is, but how pleasant or unpleasant it is. I do nto care much about long drives, and often enjoy them as long as I am moving.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:22 PM

202 posts, read 251,042 times
Metro Airport is away from the city in a less-populated area.You'll actually get your best value for the money in the communities closest to the airport.
Van Buren Twp is getting built up buts theres still rural areas. Sumpter and Huron Twps are still quite rural. Most of Monroe County is rural. Anything West or South from DTW offers all the land you could want

Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Google Maps said Hell to DTW 51 minutes yesterday when it was snowing. Sometimes it will obviously be longer, but I anticipated the OP meant average times. the only way to be within an hour guaranteed is to live in Romulus location where you could walk there within an hour if necessary. Otherwise, any place can be more than a hour at times.
It didn't snow enough yesterday to impact driving I don't think. Its 52 to 59 minutes depending on route right now and its not snowing at all. In any case if an hour is at all important The closer to an hour you are in normal conditions the more often your (well) past an hour in less than ideal conditions.

As a sidebar my next door neighbor is a pilot for Delta out of DTW. He is a "reserve" pilot and I think he told me once upon a time he has an hour to get to the airport if he is called on short notice (emergency). Often his notice is a bit longer (days) because the "missing pilot" was preplanned.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I just saw a farm for sale in Romulus or Huron Township (it is hard to tell where one ends and the other begins). I will be driving through there tonight, I will try to remember to watch for where it was. Seemed like it was a lot bigger than 4 acres though. OP may not want that much land even if he can afford it.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:11 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I'm not sure I would bother, the OP seems to have disappeared.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm not sure I would bother, the OP seems to have disappeared.
Not to mention the potential move is perhaps 3 years away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I may be moving to Michigan in the next 3 years or so.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Freeways are not necessary. most of those location you may not be on a freeway much if at all. I drive to the airport in less than an hour, but I never get on a freeway. It takes 42 minutes usually. My friend in Ypsi township also stays off the freeway and can be at DTW in less than an hour.

If I were the OP I would not look only at how long the drive is, but how pleasant or unpleasant it is. I do nto care much about long drives, and often enjoy them as long as I am moving.

Google says I can get to the DMC from Brighton in 30 minutes and it has never happend..well OK once at 4:00 Am driving 90 mph...
One will not get to DTW in less than 60 minutes on back roads from Hell or any place in Livingston County.

If someone gets to DTW in an hour from Ypsi and Hell is yet another 30-45 minutes from Ypsi, mathematically it is impossible to get to DTW in less than 60 minutes.

Hell, it takes me 30 plus minutes to get to Hell on the back Roads from Genoa Township. Even from Pinckney it takes 15 or more if one does the speed limit..

Old 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM

In my case, on the SE side of Ann Arbor, I usually give myself 30 minutes to get to DTW. From my house I can be on US23 @ Washtenaw in about 3.5-4 minutes. Maybe 5 at max.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 PM

16 posts, read 29,814 times
I would recommend Saline, Dexter, or Pinckney- in order of least to most rural...depending on how "rural" you want.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan