Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 9,313 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm 20 years old currently attending MSU in east lansing. My major is horticulture and I plan to buy some property to start a farm/homestead. I'm wondering if I might need to relocate to another state or stay in michigan. I'm looking for:

1. More Sunlight.
-I plan on growing exotics in greenhouses that would benefit from more sunlight, especially in the winter.

2. Slightly Warmer Temperatures
-If I could find a place that was 5 to 10 degrees warmer, it would be perfect. I can't go too warm because it's much more expensive to cool a greenhouse than to heat it.

3.Close to a sizable market/City
-I would like to be no more than 30 minutes from a metro area of at least 100,000.

I like Grand Rapids, but the sunlight issue will make it hard for me to succeed in what I want to do. Detroit is a bit better, but I would prefer to be a little bit warmer.

I've looked at Eastern Pennsylvania/Maryland/Virginia as possible contenders, but I'm not sure what those areas are like. Property seems much more expensive over there too.

The Northwest seems nice, I just don't know how the soils/water are over there. Is there a lot of farming in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 02:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
I would start researching what jobs you can realistically get in horticulture with exotics. The people I know who've made some serious money from your department went into turf grass and work for golf courses in NC and SC, especially the Myrtle Beach area.

I definitely support leaving the area. I tripled my income when I first moved south to Columbus, Ohio. The economy was that much better back in the 1990s. That's not as true now. The Lansing area is much better for FIRE people (Finance, insurance, real estate).

Anyway, talk more with your advisor and do more research about where the jobs are. It seems like Disneyworld (FL) was recruiting heavily at MSU at one time, for hort majors -- they've got a ton of greenery to maintain. They said MSU grads could hit the ground running and required little "tutoring."

Added: you need a good job before you do the homesteading thing. I lived off-the-grid up in Bath (north of Lansing) for awhile. It stunk. Get the job first and then see what sort of energy you have for a small homestead. I recommend NC/SC for that.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 PM

209 posts, read 657,723 times
Are you worried about daylight hours or cloudy skies?

If its hours, then it will be the same across the northern section of the country due to the curvature of the earth, long days during the summer and short days during the winter.
If its cloudy skies, then avoid the pacific northwest, it is more cloudy there than here in Michigan.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Denver

Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Denver
Boise
Salt Lake City
Flagstaff

Old 09-05-2019, 04:33 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerKnepp View Post
Hi!
1. More Sunlight.
-I plan on growing exotics in greenhouses that would benefit from more sunlight, especially in the winter.

The Northwest seems nice, I just don't know how the soils/water are over there. Is there a lot of farming in that area?
In regards to the northwest, there is a lot of farms here BUT you will NOT get more sunlight...especially not in winter. The only time of year we get any substantial amount of sun is in summer for ~3 months...maybe. Look here...3 sunny days between October - March is all we got in 2016 to give you an idea. Sun is a rare sight here during winter months...if the sun comes out in winter you'll know it cause everyone will be talking about it lol.

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-...art-of-october

Old 09-09-2019, 02:11 PM

110 posts, read 170,319 times
Quote:
Denver
Boise
Salt Lake City
Flagstaff
While they'd be much better for increased sunlight, in Colorado, Arizona, and Utah you may run into water issues. It might be work making sure what the tradeoffs would be if/when you relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan