Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 04:59 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,265 times

Advertisements

Double Ditto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 05:44 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,470,404 times
We just came back from The UP. This is the second time we stayed in Saint Ignace as our half way point. It is just easier, faster and much cheaper for us to fly into Detroit. We greatly prefer it over Mackinac City. We find that too touristy and busy. We stay at The Bavarian Haus Inn. It is a little dated by clean and reasonable. Their lawn leading to the lake is pretty nice too. Shepler's Ferry runs a shuttle that will pick you up at the Inn.

I totally second visiting The Soo Locks. We took the boat tour thru them and we were thrilled.

Last edited by magicshark; 08-09-2022 at 06:41 AM..

Old 09-01-2022, 10:53 AM

47 posts, read 43,353 times
Since it's off season, you might be able to stay in a B&B for quite a bit cheaper than in the summer season.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM

996 posts, read 1,236,111 times
Where are you flying from?
All kinds of string on the Tripadvisor website about Mackinac Island.
Closest airport is Pellston (PLN) only serviced by Delta from Detroit. Traverse City (TVC) as mentioned, is about two hours away although one can spend the entire day driving between Traverse city in Mackinaw city if one stop to sightsee, eat lunch / shop at the wonderful beach towns.

Traverse City has a fair number of direct flights from the East Coast and the south.

People recommend staying on Mackinac Island because there’s nothing quite like it when all the daytrippers go home … it’s peaceful and serene and wonderful.

Lots of possible day trips, Soo locks, pictured rocks, drive through the Tunnel of trees down to to Harbor Springs & have a nice lunch & buy $30 T-shirt or $30,000 sculpture, walk the docks, visit wilderness State Park, visit the dark sky Park for some stargazing, eat lunch or dinner at legs Inn

Best restaurant (IMO) in the area is Douglas Lake Bar and Grill, reservations are strongly recommended

Old 09-06-2022, 06:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
We just got back from a weekend up there for Bridgewalk. Pushed dad about 6 miles in a wheelchair to from and on the Bridge, and then another couple of miles at lower Taq. falls. The lake mihgian beaches were pretty warm as was the water at Taq falls (warm for the UP anyway - meaning still cold, butnot painfully cold). It was great for everyone.

We stayed at a cabin in a KOA campground right outside St. Ignace. It was not a real pretty or quiet place, but a good location as a place to sleep and a base for going other places. They have a fun little put put course and a big balloon trampoline thing. The cabin was really nice and came fully stocked with linens, towels, kitchen implements, even a barbecue. More like a hotel than a cabin. It was $280 a night, but that is for a cabin that sleeps up to 6 people. The smaller cabins are cheaper. We could have saved a lot of money cooking int he kitchen if we had planned better, but it was a last minute and very short trip.

Even through I have spent about 20 plus weeks in the UP, I have never before visited the Soo locks. We went there Sunday afternoon. It was not as exciting as I expected. Very interesting and worth going to see, especially if a freighter is coming through (check the schedule online). We did not see a freighter go through, but they do operate the locks for the tour boats. It is a pretty slow process.

We had a fabulous dinner at the Galley Restaurant in St Ignace which I had not eaten there before. The food and service were absolutely great. It was $175 for four people - no alcohol. So not cheap, but a really special and memorable dinner. Everything we had was great. Naturally we got Pastys at Suzy's Pasties, that is a tradition for us.

On the island, I cannot tell you the names of the restaurants that I like, but I can show you where they are. We were lucky to attend some conferences on the Island where our meals were reimbursed so we did not have to be as cost conscious like we do when we go there on our own dime. There are some great places, but pricey. You should try to eat at the Grand at least once. The island is probably my wife's favorite place to go, period. We have had some magical times there.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:29 PM

47 posts, read 43,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

We stayed at a cabin in a KOA campground right outside St. Ignace. It was not a real pretty or quiet place, but a good location as a place to sleep and a base for going other places. They have a fun little put put course and a big balloon trampoline thing. The cabin was really nice and came fully stocked with linens, towels, kitchen implements, even a barbecue. More like a hotel than a cabin. It was $280 a night, but that is for a cabin that sleeps up to 6 people. The smaller cabins are cheaper. We could have saved a lot of money cooking int he kitchen if we had planned better, but it was a last minute and very short trip.
I highly recommend the KOA in Mackinac City. Beautiful location. Lots of trees and close to hiking trails. Quiet as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan