Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2024, 10:05 PM

45 posts, read 66,577 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are family of four with two school-aged children moving to Michigan this summer. I’ll be working in the downtown Grand Rapids. My spouse negotiates about the position in Warren. Ideally, we’d like to live somewhere in between. Landing/East Lansing is about the midway although not that close with a bit of drive both directions.
We are interested in safe, quiet, family-friendly neighborhoods surrounding Lansing. Decent school district is also a priority. We will be looking for a 3-bedroom townhome preferably with a basement and/or garage.
What suburbs would you recommend?
Are there any neighborhoods within the city that meet the above requirements?

We are still on the fence about the idea of driving that far every day. I can’t change my location on Grand Rapids. My wife’s situation is more flexible and she could probably find the job anywhere, not necessarily in Warren.

And from what we heard Grand Rapids is a better city for families worth the kids compared to Lansing.
We would appreciate any comments regarding our situation.

Thanko you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 04:58 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
When I was 18, my family lived in Southfield, Michigan. I attended Michigan State University in East Lansing, my brother attended a college in Grand Rapids. I could make the drive between Southfield and East Lansing in about an hour. The trip between Southfield and Grand Rapids was two and a half hours. Google Maps suggests that the East Lansing trips to Grand Rapids and to Warren will be at least an hour one way for each commute (on an early Sunday morning). It will probably longer during a week day. Rush hour on I-696 between Novi and Warren can be very slow and crowded at times.

I strongly advise that you look for a townhouse in the Grand Rapids area, and have your wife seek employment much closer to Grand Rapids.

Old 02-18-2024, 11:40 AM

543 posts, read 899,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
When I was 18, my family lived in Southfield, Michigan. I attended Michigan State University in East Lansing, my brother attended a college in Grand Rapids. I could make the drive between Southfield and East Lansing in about an hour. The trip between Southfield and Grand Rapids was two and a half hours. Google Maps suggests that the East Lansing trips to Grand Rapids and to Warren will be at least an hour one way for each commute (on an early Sunday morning). It will probably longer during a week day. Rush hour on I-696 between Novi and Warren can be very slow and crowded at times.

I strongly advise that you look for a townhouse in the Grand Rapids area, and have your wife seek employment much closer to Grand Rapids.

I agree with djmilf. That commute sounds like a horrible idea. Both my kids went to college in the GR area and we drove there frequently when we live in Canton. I96 was a crapshoot. In the winter snow would be drifting across the highway. Accidents were frequent and the highway would always get closed down for a period. You are looking at putting on 200 miles a day on two different cars. Also, if you have young kids that you need to take care of, you will never be home to do so. Lots of negatives in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:55 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I agree with both of the above posters. That commute will be horrible for both of you. If your spouse could get something in the Grand Rapids area that is by far the best option. The only way I think it would even be worth considering is if you could each work remotely 2-3 days per week, ideally with one of you home on each day in case something urgent happens with the kids. But even that I would discourage.

Old 02-22-2024, 05:10 AM

271 posts, read 293,697 times
If you're willing to go through with this plan, despite the objections of the other posters...

First, what's your budget? All of this is moot if you can't afford to buy a home there. The two listings that match your criteria located in the best school districts are $400k+.

Second, the best school districts in the Lansing area are Okemos, East Lansing, and Mason (Ingham Intermediate). All three have advantage of being close to I-96, so you and your wife will have the shortest commute possible.

Third, I wouldn't bother with the city proper; the schools are bad and crime is a problem in many neighborhoods.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:22 PM

45 posts, read 66,577 times
Thank you for your answer.
I am planning to rent. My budget is $2,000. Can I afford a 3-bedroom townhouse in Okemos and other suburbs you’ve mentioned?

Old 03-21-2024, 11:00 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post
If you're willing to go through with this plan, despite the objections of the other posters...

First, what's your budget? All of this is moot if you can't afford to buy a home there. The two listings that match your criteria located in the best school districts are $400k+.

Second, the best school districts in the Lansing area are Okemos, East Lansing, and Mason (Ingham Intermediate). All three have advantage of being close to I-96, so you and your wife will have the shortest commute possible.

Third, I wouldn't bother with the city proper; the schools are bad and crime is a problem in many neighborhoods.
I would throw Haslett and DeWitt in there as well. Maybe Holt too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan