Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

23 posts, read 40,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
In the 60's, almost everyone from my hometown(Cadillac),use to go up to TC and pick cherries every year.

Most of the families here in NW Oklahoma are home style cooks. Green fried tomatoes is a favorite here (southern fried). Not like Mom made in Mi. But good.........everythings "southern fried "here.
One think I still don't understand about the south is: "Fried watermelon" . (haven't seen or tried it yet)

Anyone heard of it?
Well, now that I live in Cadillac I buy fresh cherries from our farmer's market. I don't pick. I let someone else do the hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamallynn View Post
Well, now that I live in Cadillac I buy fresh cherries from our farmer's market. I don't pick. I let someone else do the hard work.
It just goes to show the changes in lifestyle within the generation gap(s).
I was born on the corner of Pine St and Lake St (I beleive there's a Denist office there now), But raised on a Dairy farm in Selma Township. (out near Pleasant Lake)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 01-08-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 AM

198 posts, read 508,452 times
I'd love a Tony Packo's dog with some sweet hots on the side. Not a Michigan food but growing up in Monroe County its close enough for me. I'd love to see some good Coney Island restaurants and more mid eastern restaurants here in North Texas and some actual non chain affiliated delis. Michigan had a plethora of all these types of restaurants but I don’t find them so much here in North Texas. OTOH I can buy the most unbelievable fresh cut meat here in the local gas station/country store.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
Just thought of another: Melting Moments ice cream sandwiches.
omg SO good!

Melting Moments

Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Some things I remember in Michigan from days gone by, and I'm sure others will remember.
Chocolate dip ice cream cones from some of the first walk-up Dairy Queens and Root Beer floats at the old A&W Root Beer stands.
Real ice cream and real Root Beer.
It's a shame that they're gone for ever.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Default Nothing can beat Michigan cherries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamallynn View Post
We lived in Michigan for 17 years and raised out children there (one never left), but job changes took us away and now here we are in GA.

It has been 15 yrs. since we left our great place by the lakes, but I still order dried cherries from a company near Traverse City. I cannot wait until our local IGA chain stocks up on fresh (that is a relative term) Michigan cherries at summer's end! We eat them until we turn pink!

Sure miss Michigan.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Some things I remember in Michigan from days gone by, and I'm sure others will remember.
Chocolate dip ice cream cones from some of the first walk-up Dairy Queens and Root Beer floats at the old A&W Root Beer stands.
....back when you could buy them for a dime. Oh, with the dip it would be .15c.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
They don't have an A&W stand where you live, even? That's brutal!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM

23 posts, read 40,244 times
Quote:
It just goes to show the changes in lifestyle within the generation gap(s).
I was born on the corner of Pine St and Lake St (I beleive there's a Denist office there now), But raised on a Dairy farm in Selma Township. (out near Pleasant Lake)
I'm 65. All that pickin' can be hard on the ole bod.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
They don't have an A&W stand where you live, even? That's brutal!
To my knowlege there's none here in OK.

I did'nt know A&W still existed. I lived in So,California 36yr's and the only one(s) I've seen out there were at old drive-in theaters that had beed closed and run down for 30 yr's.

I know DQ is still around...............but it's all artificial flavoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan