Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend are looking to move to either battle creek, Marshall or somewhere between the two, this is because i have to commute to Lansing and he has to commute to Kalamazoo so we want a middleground.

He has a good job and I have been saving up so we can rent someplace nice. We have a fairly large dog ( labrador retriever) so we need someplace that is OK with pets.

we can easily afford renting up to somewhere in the 800's. and we want more then 1 bdroom.

We are still considering living with a married couple we know ( we currently live with them in kalamazoo in a small 2bdroom apartment ) and if we do decide to live with them we can afford in the 1000+ but we would want seperate leases.

does anyone have any suggestions?? any websites we need to check out?? We can live in a house/townhome/condo/apartment whatever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 PM

218 posts, read 508,083 times
Marshall would be much more middle ground than B.C. but your choices will be much less.

Marshall is on I-69, a straight shot to Lansing.

B.C is much larger with many more housing options.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 PM

266 posts, read 853,317 times
I just moved out of Marshall a few yrs ago - I will warn you that if you're hoping to make lots of friends there, it ain't gonna happen. Most residents are older and have lived there for many generations, so they look at anybody new as kind of an intruder on their territory. You won't notice this until you move in, because they are quite friendly to visitors. Be prepared to spend a lot of time taking care of your yard too; the locals don't look kindly on an untended garden.

That said, it does have good points. It is VERY safe, especially north of "downtown" - you can literally leave your car running with the door open and the worst thing that will happen is someone might turn it off so you don't run out of gas. The boardwalk south of town is really pretty, in fact it's a very pretty neighborhood in general. You'll think you walked into Norman Rockwell painting! And they have (IMHO) the best microbrewery in Michigan, possibly on Earth: Dark Horse. If you're into that sort of thing! And they also have a wonderful veterinary office for your dog, Marshall Animal Care. I have several dogs and cats and I miss those vets desperately.

Battle Creek has a bit more going on than Marshall, and you're closer to shopping w/ all the big stores on Beckley Road. Also Horrocks!! There are some shadier parts of Battle Creek so you'll want to check out the neighborhoods thoroughly to make sure you feel comfortable before moving in.

Not sure about the rental options in Battle Creek, but if you're thinking Marshall pick up a copy of the free local paper. I'm spacing out on the name of it but you can find one in pretty much any store in town. The local landlords will advertise their rentals there. Don't even bother with the apartment complexes, especially Walden Pond. The evil manager may be gone by now, but still the place has bad mojo.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:36 PM

78 posts, read 242,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
... but if you're thinking Marshall pick up a copy of the free local paper. I'm spacing out on the name of it but you can find one in pretty much any store in town...

I believe you're thinking about the Ad-Visor free paper.

KMSFLA
(former Marshall resident (and wish I could go back))

Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 PM

266 posts, read 853,317 times
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of! All I could remember was the Chronicle (aka Comical) but they didn't have as strong a classified section.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:46 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,929 times
Agreed on the Marshall thing. It is a very gossip driven city. I would never want to live there but it is safe. If you have the money try getting some land out in the middle of nowhere in Marshall and you will avoid ever meeting any neighbors. Otherwise, be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan