Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times

Advertisements

This is great news. We should be proud that Michigan didn't participate in the further Nazification of America. For all you non-smokers, you have your non-smoking section if you so choose and if you can't deal with that, don't go there. I don't go to church or movie theaters or indoor sporting events-WHY? I can't smoke there, you see I have a choice. By the way stay off those damn cell phones while your driving, your endangering my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
I get the feeling that some Michiganders' vision of a perfect Michigan is a Ted Kaczinski cabin in the woods all by their lonesome.

And xlabel, if you don't like me driving and talking on my cell phone, take another road. Isn't that what you're telling non-smokers? (actually, the comparison is apples to oranges).

I hope someone in Lansing gets their head out of their a** and keeps pushing this forward. It will not cost jobs, it will not close bars, as has been proven in study after study.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
This is great news. We should be proud that Michigan didn't participate in the further Nazification of America. For all you non-smokers, you have your non-smoking section if you so choose and if you can't deal with that, don't go there. I don't go to church or movie theaters or indoor sporting events-WHY? I can't smoke there, you see I have a choice. By the way stay off those damn cell phones while your driving, your endangering my life.

Your misguided cries fo freedom create a demand for big government. Anytime another is oppressed or subjugated or physically harmed by the choices of another (and bar/restaurant workers are included), there is a need for bigger government and more regulation.

You want to end "further Nazification of America", as you so callously call it? Stop making choices that kill, oppress, and subjugate other people.

Ball's in your court.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 AM

217 posts, read 607,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
By the way stay off those damn cell phones while your driving, your endangering my life.
Only if you smokers quit smoking while driving. You're endangering my life. I hate getting stuck behind someone smoking while driving and having to breathe it in.

That said, as someone who is a non-smoker and hates the smell, I am against the ban. I consider myself someone who is pro-choice in the sense that just because I don't like something doesn't mean it should be illegal and banned. You're not going to get 100% consensus and I don't think it's right taking away the rights of others for something that has been legal forever. I chose not to go to bars because I don't care for the smoke, but the occasional times I do go I know what I'm getting myself into.

On the flip side, I hope smokers realize not everyone likes to breathe it in and reek of cigarette smoke and has the courtesy to keep it in the restricted areas or wherever. Unfortunately where I work (college campus), many kids ignore the no smoking within 30 feet of the door signs, and I hope they work on a plan to better enforce the rule.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I get the feeling that some Michiganders' vision of a perfect Michigan is a Ted Kaczinski cabin in the woods all by their lonesome.

And xlabel, if you don't like me driving and talking on my cell phone, take another road. Isn't that what you're telling non-smokers? (actually, the comparison is apples to oranges).

I hope someone in Lansing gets their head out of their a** and keeps pushing this forward. It will not cost jobs, it will not close bars, as has been proven in study after study.
Causing accidents because one is yapping on the phone has immediete consequences, none of this well if you breathe it for 80 years it MAY cause cancer.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Your misguided cries fo freedom create a demand for big government. Anytime another is oppressed or subjugated or physically harmed by the choices of another (and bar/restaurant workers are included), there is a need for bigger government and more regulation.

You want to end "further Nazification of America", as you so callously call it? Stop making choices that kill, oppress, and subjugate other people.

Ball's in your court.
No thanks, make your own choice to not be killed,oppressed,or subjucated by not going to a smoke filled bar. Not my day to be your nanny. You can stay home and eat your msg, artery-clogging-fat laden junk or go to Mcdonalds they don't allow smoking there.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
What if someone decided they didn't want to be around alcohol, around people who were drinking alcohol? Should they get the government to ban alcohol in all the places they insist on going into that currently sell alcohol?

What's wrong with just not entering a place when you don't like the atmosphere of it?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Ball's in your court.
People shouldn't choose to live, it aways ends up in death.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 AM

217 posts, read 607,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What if someone decided they didn't want to be around alcohol, around people who were drinking alcohol? Should they get the government to ban alcohol in all the places they insist on going into that currently sell alcohol?
Last time I checked there's no "second hand alcohol" that can affect your health, so it's a bit different than the reason behind banning cigarettes. I understand your point of view, though.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost79 View Post
Last time I checked there's no "second hand alcohol" that can affect your health, so it's a bit different than the reason behind banning cigarettes. I understand your point of view, though.
There is. More people are killed by drunk drivers than by being forced to walk into a place where they know there is second hand smoke.

In fact, if I don't want second hand smoke, I can simply decide to not go where it is. I can't really choose to never use the roads and highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan