Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,824 times

Advertisements

To be frank i can not use many roads to come back to my house because my car is brand new and i paid for it.However i am wondering if any damage from potholes is covered by insurance and the department of transportation and is there any other state in this shape?I know that the famous lawyer fieger has made it more than once an issue, when he has compared our roads to bulgaria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 PM

955 posts, read 2,158,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Terminator View Post
To be frank i can not use many roads to come back to my house because my car is brand new and i paid for it.However i am wondering if any damage from potholes is covered by insurance and the department of transportation and is there any other state in this shape?I know that the famous lawyer fieger has made it more than once an issue, when he has compared our roads to bulgaria.
Nice thought - But. I felt your pain when I dodged potholes for years in Southeast Michigan. But you will not go anywhere with trying to charge MDOT or having isurance pay for damages. Just read the exclusions in your policy. And as far as going after the state, even Jeffery is not going to lead the charge on this one. He has more lucrative fish to fry.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,824 times
I see,but so are the other states?It is helpful to know if we pothole haters have a choice.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM

68 posts, read 300,398 times
Default Pothole haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Terminator View Post
I see,but so are the other states?It is helpful to know if we pothole haters have a choice.
Dysfunctional Illinois is certainly full of them also, since they haven't been able to pass a road construction budget for years now, thanks to "King Rod".

Old 02-12-2008, 04:21 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,948,058 times
Pennsylvania roads can be and have been just as bad as Michigan in places.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
I travel from the whole northeast from Michigan to Northern Maine. They are all riddled with potholes. Maine has a special problem with "frost heaves" think a pothole that can drop or raise a foot or more and are from 1 to 10 feet wide, all the way across the road, but the pavement is unbroken so you don't see it until you hit it. Get a series of 5 or 6 of these in a row and I have seen loaded dump trucks with all the wheels off the ground.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 AM

83 posts, read 387,711 times
I think any state that has harsh winters and salts frequently would have problems. Add on top of that 15 year blacktop roads (that maybe last a season) instead of the 25 year concrete roads and you might as well be 4 wheelin.

S.E. michigan has certainly gotten better. I remember driving north on 275 towards Novi where it merges onto 96. It was like driving down a rumble strip. I don't know who it was that accepted the low bidder on that continuous blacktop that used to be 275 (10+ years ago) but they should be cast out of Michigan

But just about every major road I travel on has been redone. You can thank the superbowl for that

You would have to head south. Someplace where the temperature doesn't get to freezing. Or a state that invests in long term roads. Or move overseas to the autoban. What do they spend per year? 1 million dollars per mile per year or something ridiculous. But you probably never see a pothole

Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM

286 posts, read 994,723 times
I live in Grand Rapids and hit a major pothole on division street...flat tire, bent wheel, broken tie rod, and broken ball joints. I had started the process of filing a claim against the city but then found out that my insurance (progressive) would cover all of it.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM

136 posts, read 482,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
... then found out that my insurance (progressive) would cover all of it.
Is that a "collision with the roadway" or a comp deductible?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:26 PM

286 posts, read 994,723 times
hhmmmm not sure what they classified it as. But I do know that I didnt have to pay a deductible and my insurance did not go up, as it would if it had been a collision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan