Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:17 PM

27 posts, read 76,853 times

Advertisements

I live in PA, and have an elderly relative that lives in Newport. She use to call a few times a month, but the last two months, no calls. I tried calling her and her only phone, which was a cell is not in service. She lives alone, has no family in the state and I'm concerned that she is not okay. I asked the police to do a safety check, they refused, tried Area on Aging groups and once again no luck. Even tried other non-profit agencies and they refused. I need to know if my relative is okay. How can I reach someone near Charter Oak Court, Newport, that can do a safety check... or atleast knock on the door and see if anyone is there. I'm worried. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 AM

313 posts, read 1,195,600 times
The police wouldn't check? Newport is not that thriving of a metropolis that they shoudln't be able to do a drive past.... I'd try the police again, and ask to speak to a supervisor. If not do you have a phone number for her physician? Perhaps they have spoken to her, or would be willing to check? Is she a member of a church? Perhaps a call to the pastor would yield a visit. I know that the Catholic Church in Newport is St. Charles.

Good luck! I hope that you have a good outcome...

Old 11-15-2008, 08:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Is newport down near Monroe?

Try a church. There is a methodist church in Monroe try there.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times
You won't have much luck, anyone who "checks" on her assume liability, that's why police won't check, probably you won't get churches to stick their neck out, sorry, its the way the world is now, if they "check" and find something wrong, what then? Assume liability? Say a good-hearted neighbor drives her to a hospital, she dies on the way, they get sued for not transporting her appropriately. They bring in food, she dies from an allergy, liability again.

Even calling 911 on someone's behalf is riskyl Ambulances aren't free, they charge a hefty fee, so someone calls an ambulance, they're stuck with the bill!

I don't wish to sound mean, I'm just trying to explain why you won't get any help. I had something similar happen, someone told me my mother "wasn't doing well" I couldn't get anyone to just check on her, I just took a plane up to Ohio, she was in bad shape, needed help.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times
Hey, just thougth of something, try the Red Cross, they sometimes help with such situations, although you run into the liability issues with them, too, might help to try!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:38 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
I would try the local post office -- see if the mail is getting picked up. Call the utility companies to see if the bills are getting paid. Try the online White Pages and see if you can call a neighbor (you can search by the address if you don't know any names). If your relative has any pets you can even call the local humane society and have them make sure the animals are getting cared for. If the local police are being dinkweeds and refusing to do a well-person check, try the county sheriff's department or the state police post. That is ridiculous that they would REFUSE to do a well-person check. In fact, that may actually be illegal. The police are already in charge of people's well-being and they aren't scared to assume liability! That is pure laziness!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Agree with Cliffie about the Sheriff's office. Never had them refuse to check in on anybody for me.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,990 times
Did you tell them that you had been unable to reach your relative for 2 months? I can't imagine that they wouldn't check up on her- I've never heard of that, but then, nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Police do "welfare checks" all the time. Definitely contact the local police dept to have someone do a welfare check.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM

140 posts, read 459,515 times
Have you heard anything yet? My next door neighbor is from northport and visits often, I could see if she has any suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan