Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:57 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katandmike View Post
Kalamazoo is a very nice place, not bad with crime at all... the northside is probably the worst
Nice opinion of kzoo. This thread is over half a year old, as well as a few others on here you posted on. Please pay attention to the dates of the threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 45,132 times
Default How is this part of Kalamazoo Michigan

I am looking at a place on North Church st in Kalamazoo 49007 how is the area?I used to live in Michigan now I am out state. in Michigan I grew up in Southgate, I don,t know much about Kalamazoo, can any one tell about this area. on the map it not to far from west Paterson.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
Why do people point out the fact that it's an old thread?? Who cares!!
Chuchsr65.... unfortunately I cannot tell you a darn thing about the location you've mentioned other then I've driven through there a half dozen times and it was okay.
I currently live (temporary 6 month lease after leaving da U.P.) near the intersection of Miller and Portage.
Yeah.... a few blocks away I see drugs and a prostitute a time or two..... but right here we are almost done with our lease and have only met WONDERFUL neighbors!!
As in any city, it depends on the microsystem of WHERE you live. Your section could be fine..... two blocks away could be cringe worthy. You must visit a few times to get your own opinion.
Of course we didn't...... and consider ourselves lucky. But we're country folks and are in the process of buying a place with acreage 35 miles away out in the boondocks. I would never actually recommend a place in the city because I HATE living in the city!! Different strokes for different folks!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
LMAO,

Kzoo isn't dangerous at all. Lots of suburbs around town, like Portage, or Richland, where the drive isn't bad to WMU.

I think you'll be happy with moving there, as long as you don't mind snow.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksr65 View Post
I am looking at a place on North Church st in Kalamazoo 49007 how is the area?I used to live in Michigan now I am out state. in Michigan I grew up in Southgate, I don,t know much about Kalamazoo, can any one tell about this area. on the map it not to far from west Paterson.
This is a ghetto area, on the Northside. High crime. There are plenty of nice areas to live in Kalamazoo, but this is not one of them.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM

25 posts, read 60,834 times
Kalamazoo is okay for students. They are right about the north and east side, but students never have any reason to go into those areas. There have been some campus issues like any campus, but be smart about things and you will be fine. The downtown areas that students hang out at are safe but stay with friends late at night.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,713 times
Default Kalamazoo

If your a college kid **** it, Western is not bad! If your a parent with kids planning to raise them here be aware of your surroundings! I don't care who you are, I grew up here and know that yeah there's bad neighborhoods all around town! South side, eastside where I live, and north side all have shady ass **** going on everyday! Theft, arson, rape, alot of shootings, robberies etc.. And is at it's highest in the summer time! So if you weren't raised in Kalamazoo and haven't adapted to that **** I would reccomend, west Kalamazoo , parchment area just north of the north side! That or move to whatever side of town you like and just deck it out with security ****, if not you will end up learning the hard way because alot of these people out here don't know how to earn their money they like to rob and take others so be careful! **** I'm a senior at Kalamazoo Central and I'm just tellin you how it is! Metal detectors at the school but alot of crime goes down at the school! As soon as I graduate I'm leaving for the military because truthfully alot of your friend end up shot, dead or in jail. So I'm leavin!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
I graduated from Norrix a couple of years ago. We didn't have metal detectors there. But Central is like a inner city school in a big city (and I went to Detroit Public Schools as well). I never hear anything good about that school unless it's about mens basketball. Someone tried to stab a teacher there, someone set part of the school on fire, ect. Kalamazoo only has 2 high schools and Central is where people on the north and eastside have to go which is why it's the way it is now.

Quote:
The area is horrible. It's one of the only TRUE ghetto's in Kalamazoo. They used to jump on white people around there. Church st is a KNOWN thug hangout. If you like having about 400 bums/ thugs hanging out on your block all day everyday fighting, shooting, robbing, ect. then you are one adventures person and church st will be perfect for you. If you need something in Metro Detroit to compare it with think Inkster, inner city Detroit, inner city Pontiac, and Highland Park. Just not as densely populated or as large (the northside is very small, about the size of a single decent sized neighborhood land wise).

Look at the westside. There are plenty of college students and other people from out of town around there.

Last edited by MS313; 05-20-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I graduated from Norrix a couple of years ago. We didn't have metal detectors there. But Central is like a inner city school in a big city (and I went to Detroit Public Schools as well). I never hear anything good about that school unless it's about mens basketball. Someone tried to stab a teacher there, someone set part of the school on fire, ect. Kalamazoo only has 2 high schools and Central is where people on the north and eastside have to go which is why it's the way it is now.

The area is horrible. It's one of the only TRUE ghetto's in Kalamazoo. They used to jump on white people around there. Church st is a KNOWN thug hangout. If you like having about 400 bums/ thugs hanging out on your block all day everyday fighting, shooting, robbing, ect. then you are one adventures person and church st will be perfect for you. If you need something in Metro Detroit to compare it with think Inkster, inner city Detroit, inner city Pontiac, and Highland Park. Just not as densely populated or as large (the northside is very small, about the size of a single decent sized neighborhood land wise).

WOW.. What is it with Battle Creek and Kalamazoo? I remember back when it was Battle Creek having all these problems and now it is improving nicely ( still some trouble areas but nothing like it was and everything i have read suggests every since they rebuilt BC Central it has improved drastically) while on the other hand Kalamazoo was the place to be and now it is the other way? What is it? Do these people ( bad ones ) just move back and forth between here and there?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
WOW.. What is it with Battle Creek and Kalamazoo? I remember back when it was Battle Creek having all these problems and now it is improving nicely ( still some trouble areas but nothing like it was and everything i have read suggests every since they rebuilt BC Central it has improved drastically) while on the other hand Kalamazoo was the place to be and now it is the other way? What is it? Do these people ( bad ones ) just move back and forth between here and there?
Now that I think about it, there are ALOT of people in Kalamazoo who either used to live in Battle Creek or are moving back and forth. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though. It's been like that for as long as I've been in kalamazoo (a few years). In Kalamazoo I've always heard Battle Creek was pretty bad (worse than Kalamazoo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan