Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 PM

72 posts, read 314,014 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Washtenaw county and want to get a cell phone with good reception and service.

What are the companies in that area, and which ones are better?

THanks!

Sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
Verizon, but less than stellar customer service with my experience. I had a lot of problems with them.

Sprint is decent coverage for the area, my experience with customer service has been good.

I haven't had any other cell phones.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:09 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
We switched to verizon from sprint. We do a lot of camping all over the state and I needed the phone for business purposes. Couldn't get reliable reception north of baycity with sprint. So far no problems with verizon, even in u.p

Old 01-31-2009, 09:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
We switched to verizon from sprint. We do a lot of camping all over the state and I needed the phone for business purposes. Couldn't get reliable reception north of baycity with sprint. So far no problems with verizon, even in u.p
Alltel works well in the north and UP too!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
It has been my experience , that you just can not beat AT&T for nationwide coverage. That goes for INTERNET as well. The cable companies all have issues , and reduced service at different times of the day and night. AT&T was the first to eliminate roaming charges , which , were a greater cost then the service. They have the best plans for small businesses . I have traveled all over North America , even in the far arctic , my cell worked, so , did the lap top.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:20 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
It doesnt really matter WHICH one you have.....when you get into the hills and hollows you are going to hit dead spots and get dropped calls. When we moved here we had Verizon....it was sooo bad, they let us out of our contract when they looked into where we were located. We now have Alltel, much better, but it still doesnt matter whn you get into certain areas, you just wont get reception.....Now downstate, ANYTHING should work well

Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Alltel works well in the north and UP too!!!
Alltel works great here in Marquette. Thats what I use for my Lap Top. AT&T for everything else , including Internet ( Fixed ). When I move to my new home site , AT&T won't work however. ( too far out for DSL ). So , I may be back to Alltel cell on fixed Internet. Not sure how it will work , will see...... The bird for TV.... I hate cable.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,032 times
i have at&t. i don't think you can beat it. i had a job where i had to use a sprint phone out in that area sometimes. sprint is terrible. the service out that way (particularly in the belleville/ ypsilanti areas) was about obsolete. can't beat ay&t.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 PM

50 posts, read 140,388 times
I have no problems with Verizon around Washtenaw county. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with Customer Service because I don't hear good things from my friends about them. I saw a TV commercial recently that said Alltel is now part of Verizon.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:15 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
It doesnt really matter WHICH one you have.....when you get into the hills and hollows you are going to hit dead spots and get dropped calls. When we moved here we had Verizon....it was sooo bad, they let us out of our contract when they looked into where we were located. We now have Alltel, much better, but it still doesnt matter whn you get into certain areas, you just wont get reception.....Now downstate, ANYTHING should work well
I have had good service with Verizon, even in the UP.

BTW, I thought Alltet and VErizon were own by the same parent company. Just that Allnet was analog (hence the reason it does so well in nothern Michigan because most areas have analog towers).

http://news.cnet.com/verizon-completes-alltel-purchase/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan