Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 37,651 times

Advertisements

Me and about 10 friends are looking for a place to camp this May after we get out of school . We would be leaving from East Lansing and would like to drive no more than 5 hours , but would like a pretty remote area where we could maybe rent a cabin on a lake or just pitch a few tents . But would like to be able to go fishing and possibly hike.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times
If your going five hours you might as well go to the U.P That would be my first choice, but it may be cold there in May. If not, one of my personnal favorites is Alcona county park in Glennie. Its on the Au-Sable river floodwaters above the Alcona dam, has cabins, a place for you to put a tent, good fishing, and its in the middle of the Huron national forest. This is one of my favorite areas in lower MI. we go here every year. its absolutely awesome!
http://www.alconapark.com/

Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Kid of difficult to get into a "remote" area in the LP really. But maybe somewhere in the Piegon River State Forest by Gaylord and Vanderbilt may work for you. Or Nordhouse Dunes in the Ludington/Manistee area. Even the Manistee National Forest might have what you are looking for someplace out by Walhalla. That is right on the Pere Marquette river and you might get into some steelhead there as well that time of year. Along with some good Brown Trout and a chance to pick up a few good sized Northerns. I just don't know about pitching a tent there.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,059,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
If your going five hours you might as well go to the U.P That would be my first choice, but it may be cold there in May. If not, one of my personnal favorites is Alcona county park in Glennie. Its on the Au-Sable river floodwaters above the Alcona dam, has cabins, a place for you to put a tent, good fishing, and its in the middle of the Huron national forest. This is one of my favorite areas in lower MI. we go here every year. its absolutely awesome!
Alcona Park - 1100 Acres of Trophy Producing Fishing Waters

That Alcona campground looks awesome...only wish the cabins had electricity.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,910,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
That Alcona campground looks awesome...only wish the cabins had electricity.
Oh man its gorgeous! If you have a boat you can go south and west up the river and see the huge sand hills, and the beautiful scenery. We were not gonna go there this year for some crazy reason, but we cant pass it up.
You have a fire and batteries right? who needs electricity?? lol!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Oh man its gorgeous! If you have a boat you can go south and west up the river and see the huge sand hills, and the beautiful scenery. We were not gonna go there this year for some crazy reason, but we cant pass it up.
That's true...I should be made of sterner stuff right? Think I'll take a look at my work schedule tonight and I just might give it a shot. My ex has a place in the area (McKinley) so I think I'll live dangerously!

Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM

968 posts, read 2,591,531 times
Quote:
right! Its not campin if you have a TV and your Wii with you.

I have a place in Antrim county on a stream, with lots of lakes in the area. Remote enough to get out of control drunk and not worry about anyone complaining.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Not at all interested in a TV or a Wii (whatever that is) or anything else like that...just would like one convenience such as 'light'. I'll just bring some battery operated power..no big deal. Not real interested in getting out of control drunk either but I won't pass up a cold one.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 AM

504 posts, read 2,177,528 times
Default camping

Hi there,

It all depends on how rustic you want. State parks are quite expensive (IMO), plus you typically need reservations, which can be hard to get during the peak of summer.

I'd try the National Forests or State Forest campgrounds. Most of these have only pit toilets, and some may have electricity, but many don't.

It also depends on how "away" you want to get. The smaller campgrounds will give you less people.

I'd look in the NE corner of the LP if you want fewer people, West side if you want to be closer to traditional tourist attractions.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 AM

968 posts, read 2,591,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Hi there,

It all depends on how rustic you want. State parks are quite expensive (IMO), plus you typically need reservations, which can be hard to get during the peak of summer.

I'd try the National Forests or State Forest campgrounds. Most of these have only pit toilets, and some may have electricity, but many don't.

It also depends on how "away" you want to get. The smaller campgrounds will give you less people.

I'd look in the NE corner of the LP if you want fewer people, West side if you want to be closer to traditional tourist attractions.
not too mention the place is wall to wall citidiots wtih big ass RV's which they cannot back up to save their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan