Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM

196 posts, read 444,726 times

Advertisements

Hi all, can someone recommend some cheap auto/motorcycle insuirance here in West Michigan. Don't really want to start not liking Michigan, but I will say that insurance here is outrageous. It really shouldn't be with Michigan having such a high unemployment rate. Anyway, my motorcycle insurance in Oklahoma was $25/month, here it will be $1000 every six months, so I really need help here. Thanks,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM

103 posts, read 344,732 times
Try Citizens Insurance. They've always had the best rates for me. I insure three vehicles and do not pay the $2000/year you're talking about (far from it!). All State and AAA are hella expensive.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
I go with Frankenmuth and am real happy with their rates and service.

Where I was last year on the East Coast, my insurance rates were WAY higher than they are here in Michigan. Home and Auto were 1 1/2 times as much and Health was 4X as much. Here with 3 vehicles it runs $1400 a year. If I dropped it down to just PL/PD for them it would be 1/2 that figure.

Last edited by Bydand; 04-29-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 PM

265 posts, read 801,648 times
I am with Auto-Owners and pay $350 a year for full coverage for my new motorcycle. I also have my home and car insured with them so that probably makes a difference.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,907 times
Any independent insurance agency should be able to access all the lowest rates. Try Lighthouse or Berends Hendricks Stuit.

Can we secede from Detroit? That would help.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Hi all, can someone recommend some cheap auto/motorcycle insuirance here in West Michigan. Don't really want to start not liking Michigan, but I will say that insurance here is outrageous. It really shouldn't be with Michigan having such a high unemployment rate. Anyway, my motorcycle insurance in Oklahoma was $25/month, here it will be $1000 every six months, so I really need help here. Thanks,

Jeff
I would go with others and seek out an independent agent who represents multiple companies, who can shop around rates for you.

But just curious, what do motorcycle insurance rates have to do with unemployment?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:11 PM

810 posts, read 3,307,020 times
What's your deductible at? How many points do you have?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Hi all, thanks for the responses. My point about unemployment rates vs car insurance is that here in the "Car Capital" of the US it should be more affordable to drive. ie, if there are few jobs here then maybe the insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to charge so much to drive.

Anyway, I have nothing on my driving record, and as far as all the suggestions above I called an agent that deals with all of them and the cheapest rate I could get on my motorcycle was $1000 a year, still a far cry from $25 a month. My deductibles are at $1000 which is the lowest I could get in accordance with my loan contract. My RX-8 is expensive to insure here as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM

328 posts, read 1,397,105 times
Default More Expensive to live in MI then OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Hi all, thanks for the responses. My point about unemployment rates vs car insurance is that here in the "Car Capital" of the US it should be more affordable to drive. ie, if there are few jobs here then maybe the insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to charge so much to drive.

Anyway, I have nothing on my driving record, and as far as all the suggestions above I called an agent that deals with all of them and the cheapest rate I could get on my motorcycle was $1000 a year, still a far cry from $25 a month. My deductibles are at $1000 which is the lowest I could get in accordance with my loan contract. My RX-8 is expensive to insure here as well.
I know that the "Big Three" are not doing well, but that is no reason why the insurance company would charge less to insure a vehicle.

Owning and Insuring a Vehicle in Michigan is expensive, period. For one thing, your annual "license plate fee" varies on how much your car is worth. In my current state of Illinois, it's a flat 78 dollar fee, regardless of the age/current cost of your vehicle.

I used to live in MI, and I can tell you that that the COL is definitely more then Oklahoma, and the cost of insurance is likely higher as well. My ex lives in New Orleans, and a lot of people there insure and plate their car in Mississippi because it is cheaper then doing so in Louisana.

When do your plates/insurance expire? Is there someone who still lives in Oklahoma? A lot of people keep their out-of-state plates and insurance. I have some friends in Chicago who have lived here over 10 years and still insure and plate their vehicles in Michigan, to avoid our sky high sales tax and ridiculous city stickers and other fees. They have yet to have a problem.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Actually, I own a home in Oklahoma, I rent it out since I don't live there anymore, I wonder if I can insure my car and bike in Oklahoma? Anyone know if this is ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan