Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:27 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times

Advertisements

I could have sworn I saw a Michigan license plate in the first movie ... also, the city in the second movie they go to looks very much like Detroit. plus, i know it snows where they live. it's referred to as the 'tri-county area', which of course, can mean pretty much ANYWHERE in america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
It couldn't have been. In Toy Story 2 there was a toy store downtown. I doubt there's been a toy store in downtown Detroit in my lifetime.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
It couldn't have been. In Toy Story 2 there was a toy store downtown. I doubt there's been a toy store in downtown Detroit in my lifetime.
I don't know one way or the other, but what cartoon is 100% accurate?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Having only watched the first one, I really have no idea.

However I was bored and my online research came up with two definitive answers for where the story takes place...... Detroit, MI and Irvine, CA. Take your pick! LOL

Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Kids toys or adult toys? Plenty of the latter downtown I think.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 17,015 times
Default Saginaw!!!

Saginaw, Michigan 95 % sure but not a perfect 100% but its a very great chance. Here's the evidence : I did research on it. Im a big fan of toy story and I wanna see where it takes place once in my life I've always wondered where it took place. First of all there is a Michigan license plate or thats at least the state plate it closest resembles i cant make out the letters but theres enough to spell a word like Michigan and it is blue and set up almost like the most common Michigan tag. (I paused it alot on the You Tube Toy Story video to figure it out). There is also a tag that looks like an Ohio tag in one scene it looks like Ohio's white and gold tag which the state borders Michigan so that makes sense. Second, when Buzz and Woody land in the car they show high rolling hills in the background and looked up a terrain map of Michigan and it shows the highest terrain in the Northern part of the Mitten Shape of Michigan. Then I looked up Pizza Planet for Michigan. Interestingly there are two places called Planet Pizza the closest to Pizza Planet I could get, one in metro Detroit and one in northern Flint. But on the map there is flat terrain in Flint but 25 miles northwest the terrain begins to change to high rolling hills which i think is where Andy lives and is the next largest city around that direction I can tell he lives in a fairly good sized community and they probably went to Planet Pizza in Northern Flint. Thirdly, I looked on street view in areas around Saginaw, the trees look almost exactly the same type of trees as in the movie in Andy's neighborhood. Finally, the announcer on Sid's t.v. talks about stores in the Tri-County area and I also saw on the internet that the Saginaw region is made up three communities of Saginaw, Midland, and Bay City, Saginaw is the largest community and big enough to fit the image of Andy's hometown. However I think Andy moves to Detroit in the second movie since there is a major airport and the skyline looks like Detroit. Hope this helps

Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Irvine, California.

Not Michigan.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Irvine, California.

Not Michigan.
This post made me do a search to find out and I seen a yahoo post saying Irvine California. Their average mean temperature is 54 degree's in December, hardly cold enough to have the winter depicted in the film.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Who gives a rip? It is a cartoon.

It is a well done cartoon, but what cartoon is really "set" anywhere real? They may use a real name, or real building; but for cripes sakes... it is a cartoon. A series of images that are made-up to look like the creator of the cartoon envisioned in their mind, and then either drew or used a computer to match that vision. A cartoon can have 10' of snow in Miami, or cactus growing in Barrow, AK.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
"The Critic" was definitely set in a real city (New York, NY), but it seems that most cartoon series that go into enough detail to depict a city are set in a place like "Springfield" - a list of features and attractions of which no real city contains all.

Last edited by 313 TUxedo; 11-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: actually, I think I was wring about the network which carried "Critic")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan