Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM

86 posts, read 456,890 times

Advertisements

After browsing this forum for a while, I think I must be a nutcase for wanting to stay here in MI, even putting down roots!

I do work in the auto industry, but I'm fairly certain it is secure at least for now (I work on a dealer helpline that serves all of the U.S. and Canada) and I make enough to get the bills paid and live simply but happily. It's not my dream job (I have a bachelor's in English, had no desire to teach), but since I don't really know what my dream job is, it works pretty well for now! I don't need a huge house, fancy car or boat... could be just me though. *shrug*

I am buying my first house this summer in the city of Flint, which for the most part is a hellhole but is slowly improving. Took the city leaders a few tries to figure out that a magic bullet is not going to fix things overnight (i.e., the giant blunder that was AutoWorld). I'm ready to settle down at least semi-permanently but have been priced out of the suburbs, so I crunched the numbers and figured out can get a place in the city for around $50K, in good shape and in a safe neighborhood. Plus I can start getting involved in community/civic activities... something I really want to do. I would just volunteer all the time if I didn't need to make money, LOL.

Can someone please assure me I haven't lost my mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM

136 posts, read 621,224 times
Default lost your mind? no... with conditions

As a Michigan native, I've seen this state through some changes. If you have a secure job, and can pay your bills, and you like the state, then why worry what others think? I wouldn't live in Flint because I find it depressed, but that's just me. I don't really know the town, just its reputation, and a few first hand glimpses. Maybe you're fine and dandy, but I'd sure make sure if I were you that you follow good security measures at home and out and about.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 AM

86 posts, read 456,890 times
I'm also a Michigan native and I really do like it here. I have no burning desire to really be anywhere else, so I might as well stay.

I grew up just outside of Flint and know that it needs a lot of TLC... but they are slowly working on it. When I was attending classes at UM-Flint, I found myself downtown more than I ever had been before and was hooked by the history of the city, the old historic buildings and houses, and here and there little glimpses of character beyond the boarded-up buildings and crack houses. I'm willing to stay and give it a chance.

Many of the homes I have looked at are in relatively safe neighborhoods... and a good number I found had security systems already installed. Once or twice, the selling agents have forgotten to give my real estate agent the code to turn the system off... oops! Cops never showed up, though... could be a good or bad thing!!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 PM

32 posts, read 115,067 times
If you like it here and can afford to live here, stay here, some people like snow and cold, I do not so am leaving, this state will turn around, I just feel [and am not alone] that it will take 5 to 15 years depending on the auto industry.
I do not feel the auto industry will turn around anytime soon. with gas at 3$ a gal, people are not buying cars much less us cars.
Hummers have to go the way of the dodo.
I know many people who love this state and would not trade it for the world, I have lived in southern states and love it there much more, but my opinion is only good for me and those who share it.
If it is not your opinion it is like a A hole, we all have one and think ours does not stink.
The only bone I have to pick with many here is the ostrich sand mentality, Things in michigan are not at bottom, and will not IMO be there for a few years.
Real estate is a looser now, and the auto industry is a looser. and many business spins off of these two.
So unless you have an income that you do not have to work for you can enjoy the cheap cars you can buy and homes you can steal.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 PM

800 posts, read 4,299,005 times
I say to stay if your heart tells you to do so.

For me, I really need to have some new energy in my life so that's why we are researching the relocation bit.

Michigan will turn around. Plus, we can't have everyone leaving We need some to stay and be leaders to bring Michigan to its next stage of evolution. I hand it to and respect anyone who is going to do this.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Default Screw the haters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypurdue View Post
After browsing this forum for a while, I think I must be a nutcase for wanting to stay here in MI, even putting down roots!

I do work in the auto industry, but I'm fairly certain it is secure at least for now (I work on a dealer helpline that serves all of the U.S. and Canada) and I make enough to get the bills paid and live simply but happily. It's not my dream job (I have a bachelor's in English, had no desire to teach), but since I don't really know what my dream job is, it works pretty well for now! I don't need a huge house, fancy car or boat... could be just me though. *shrug*

I am buying my first house this summer in the city of Flint, which for the most part is a hellhole but is slowly improving. Took the city leaders a few tries to figure out that a magic bullet is not going to fix things overnight (i.e., the giant blunder that was AutoWorld). I'm ready to settle down at least semi-permanently but have been priced out of the suburbs, so I crunched the numbers and figured out can get a place in the city for around $50K, in good shape and in a safe neighborhood. Plus I can start getting involved in community/civic activities... something I really want to do. I would just volunteer all the time if I didn't need to make money, LOL.

You haven't lost your mind. Just like a previous poster said, if you love it here and have a job and can get a steal in the real estate market, hey! To each his own! Do yo thang! LOL Who cares what a bunch of doom-and-gloomers on a blog think?
I just moved to Michigan from southern California last July. I flew out here in June to interview with prospective employers. I flew back to Cali with 3 job offers. The rules of "everything sucks in Michigan" do not apply to everyone, everywhere. We live in Royal Oak and wouldn't move back to California if you paid us. Michigan is less crowded, has better schools, better healthcare, better air, is MUCH more family friendly...I could go on.
Screw the haters! I haven't heard much good about Flint, but if you found a deal in a good neighborhood, and you work there, then why not? I say best of luck to you!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:58 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,828 times
Fellow native Michigan lover here! We actually chose to move to the U.P. from the Grand Rapids region. Everyone told us we were crazy because the U.P. was even worse off then the rest of the state! Whatever. We're here and prospering more then we ever did downstate. It's all in what you choose to make of it!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 AM

24 posts, read 25,275 times
Exactly....I'm a healthcare professional and Michigan native who's moving to Petoskey next month after being in the south for over 20 years. I acquired a skill and am going to put everything I've learned back into Michigan by living, working and investing there. There is opportunity is Michigan, you just have to make the extra effort if you really love it there and want to stay.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypurdue View Post

I don't think you have lost your mind. I am a Michigan native and made a huge mistake of moving to Indiana in the late 80's. Although Zionsville is a wonderful town, excellent schools, Indianapolis and the rest of the state for that matter is very backwards and poorly managed. The amount of crime against children here is astounding!!! I plan on moving back to Michigan as soon as I can.

After seeing a lot of this country and living in Indianapolis, Michigan, despite the economy (which is bad everywhere) is the only place for live IMO.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM

41 posts, read 38,933 times
Michigan 4 Eva!

Don't get me wrong residing in FL between Nov. - Mar. sounds very appealing! However I am never leaving Michigan! My ashes will be dispersed into Lake Michigan as my final resting grounds!

I don't think your crazy! Stay and fight the fight! Bring back our state and it's many cities! Michigan will rise again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan