Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I just wanted to ask a question, and see if maybe someone knows something I don't (haha, that wouldn't be too tough!)---

Since we are moving back to Michigan (only FIVE more days, omgomgomg!) and since my husband's job is about as secure as a job can get in this economy (knock on wood), we plan on settling there permanently. Sigh! Soooo, given the excellent home prices these days, we're looking at possibly buying- we're so tired of leasing and renting, and paying thousands to someone else- I'm sure everyone understands. ANYway....

I will be honest; our credit is not up to par, and we're some points short-we're working with a credit repair agency, and making some headway- however, when I look at the idea of getting a regular loan, I have to say it just makes me shiver and it always, always has. The idea of paying double or even triple just makes me ill inside, not to mention all of the hidden costs associated with it, balloon payments, etc., etc., ad nauseum....I really do like the idea of a land contract for the simple reason that the middleman is out of the picture, and you're dealing with the owner. Of course, doing your due diligence is extremely important-having worked for a law office (in Michigan, even..), I have heard more horror stories from people who bought on a land contract, paid their payments on time, and then all of a sudden had the rug pulled out from under them when the house was foreclosed on because the owner was pocketing the money and allowing it to go into foreclosure! Of course some people have a little bit of a legal leg to stand on in a case like that, but the hassle, ugh----okay, i'm getting off-track here.....!

I have looked around on craigslist, and a couple of those "rent to own/land contract" websites, which seem to be much more foreclosures and sale by owner type situations as opposed to anything else-which of course you don't find out until you already pay for the seven-day "trial", lol. Where can I find actual homes on a land contract? I've found maybe one or two, and to be honest, I really thought there would be more than that- but what I've seen are people basically sitting on their property although they have it up for sale, unwilling to budge- which I can understand, in a way- they want the money, and they want all of it- but then again, it doesn't make a whole lot more sense to me, because wouldn't a steady payment each month and something down beat the heck out of having a house sit empty for months upon months?

So...anybody know of websites, etc., or just "word of mouth" in the Iron Mountain/Kingsford/Breitung Twp/Norway/Vulcan area? LOL

And one other thing- I also looked at the rent to own, and if we can possibly help it, we don't want to go in that direction either- all that really does is postpone the inevitable anyway- you have a couple of years to pay on a lease, with a small amount of your monthly rental payment going towards a down payment, then you have to get a regular loan anyway. And although we would have our credit up to par within another two or three months, I really want the option of a land contract if we possibly can- I'm telling you, regular loans just really scare me- maybe it's the "tied-down" thing that makes me nervous, I don't know, lol- more than that, it's just like I said, the idea that you are paying double or triple the cost of the house-

Okay, I'm rambling (moving jitters, and I'm tired..lol)- any thoughts or ideas, I'm open- thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM

13 posts, read 37,548 times
Craigslist really seems to be the only place I've found them. Once in a while realtors are helpful. There's one in Jackson who specializes, but I can't think of the name right now.
Be very careful with a land contract. I have friends who were buying one, which went into foreclosure (people they were making payments to were no making them to the bank) and they ended up out a LOT of money. When asked what the recourse was they said none, as a land contract on a home with a mortgage is generally null in void.
ONE more helpful link, I actually bought a (large) lot of land through this company roselandco.com
It's a division of first national bank. Hope that hel.ps.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM

thanks, wcs- I would guess the best way on a land contract is if the owner owns it outright, and there is no mortgage- otherwise, anything can happen- thanks for the link, I'll check it out-

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM

235 posts, read 536,455 times
I've seen some on rentjungle.com, which searches other websites for what you are looking for. Didn't see anything in just a quick search of that area. I've also seen them on regional real estate websites. I'd also talk to a local realtor when you get here.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeconcentrate View Post
I've seen some on rentjungle.com, which searches other websites for what you are looking for. Didn't see anything in just a quick search of that area. I've also seen them on regional real estate websites. I'd also talk to a local realtor when you get here.
Do you think a realtor would have listings like that, since it sort of cuts the realtor out? Or maybe they charge a fee to the owner? I have a slight distrust of realtors, right up there with attorneys, lol-

Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM

235 posts, read 536,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Do you think a realtor would have listings like that, since it sort of cuts the realtor out? Or maybe they charge a fee to the owner? I have a slight distrust of realtors, right up there with attorneys, lol-
I have seen them in my area offered through realtors, but I'm not sure how common it is.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM

You know I just find out a bit ago that if an owner declares bankruptcy after selling a house on a land contract, that the house goes back to the bank regardless- scary thought! I wonder if the person who told me this meant CH 12 (or 11...I'm trying to remember which one is the one you pay back, and which is for farms, etc.) as opposed to CH 7, which just "disappears" everything...

Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Sorry, my vocabulary isn't up to par today, lol- I've been packing for dayssss, and I would swear that in the middle of the night?

Our belongings MULTIPLY!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 141,524 times
I think the land contract market is pretty dry right now because rents have been going up since the economic housing implosion of 2007-2008. Why sell a house on land contract for $800/mo when you could rent it for $1200? And the land contracts that are available are probably by home owners so upside down on their own mortgage, they know they have no way of selling it with a realtor and are trying to fly-by with a land contract sale. You paying $150k for a house on land contract that the seller still owes $230k on is a pretty scary proposition.

I know that doesn't help you, just keep in mind land contracts aren't like what they used to be and be careful.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM

26 posts, read 141,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
You know I just find out a bit ago that if an owner declares bankruptcy after selling a house on a land contract, that the house goes back to the bank regardless- scary thought! I wonder if the person who told me this meant CH 12 (or 11...I'm trying to remember which one is the one you pay back, and which is for farms, etc.) as opposed to CH 7, which just "disappears" everything...
A home owner really shouldn't be selling a house on land contract if they still have a mortgage on it. In fact, I wonder if they legally can at all.

Think about it. How can someone sell the collateral of their loan without violating the loan agreement?

Could you sell your car if you still owed the bank 10k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan