Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,659 times

Advertisements

I know people have asked about EL before, but I've got my own round of questions to throw at anyone who could help me out.

My boyfriend and I have been considering settling down some place for a while now, as we're both fairly sick of apartment living. He already attends MSU for grad school online, and moving there would really help him with his research. They also have great programs for me both for veterinary medicine and microbiology, so we've been considering the area. We have both grown out of the college scene, and do not want to live around constant partying or bars, but still need to commute to campus from wherever we settle. A 30 minute or less drive would be ideal. We'd ideally like some place we can live for the next 5-10 years, so we've been looking at houses (both buying and renting), but don't know what areas would be best. We get along best with the mature crowd, regardless of social classes, so any kind of family or hardworking neighborhood would be fine - as long as we can keep the intrusiveness to a minimum. I would REALLY like to get away from the lack of privacy or security offered by local apartment complexes.

Along with not being sure where to look for housing, we're also not sure if buying or renting would be the better option. Renting sounds wisest, since we won't be staying in it for more than 20 years or anything, but we come with a lot of pets (I breed mice as a hobby), and I know some renters are not okay with much more than a single pet or so. Is the market alright up there for buying? Do renters assume the community is largely high-money college students, like they do here? Or can something reasonable be found in the surrounding areas?

Here in College Station, because of all the college students, work is seasonal and can only be found at the start and end of semesters. How is the job environment in EL? I personally would be looking for vet clinics, tattoo shops, or pet store jobs. Also, I could not find animal ordinances except for Detroit. Are reptiles like snakes (<6 ft) allowed in EL?

How is the public transportation? Are there many parks in the area, and would it be plausible to frequently visit nearby lakes or state parks? We are very outdoor-sy people. Is Michigan very conservative, socially? How is the cost of living, and are there any extra state income or property taxes that we should know about? How long does it take to earn residency for voting?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with any of my questions! I know there's a lot, but I'm having a hard time finding much out there about East Lansing or the surrounding areas, so I thought it might be easier just to ask.

-Wednesday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
Well I think you will find most conservatives in the Lansing Metro north/ northwest of the city, mainly Clinton county.

Usually any investment where you can get money back is better than just throwing money out to rent.

You many want to look at locations near the Lansing Mall (waverly), another popular spot near MSU is Okemos and Holt.

Within the city of Lansing there are a few spots, two would be the area near Dwight Rich Middle School, another would be the Groesbeck neighborhood.

Also within the city near Frances or Moores Park.

Know of the areas because I have lived in the city for over 17 years (though going away in the fall for college)

Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 PM

79 posts, read 418,372 times
Hi Marshmellow,
I have no idea about pet ordinances, but with some work you should be able to find a job. While the unemployment rate is still high, the Lansing area has a much lower unemployment rate than the rest of the state.

Public transit is okay. There is a bus system that runs mostly in Lansing/East Lansing (some in Haslett and Okemos and some of the other suburbs) It is certainly not Chicago or New York though.

I agree with timeofseasons that Clinton County is very conservative. Closer to the University is more liberal. There is an income tax if you work and/or live in the City of Lansing. 0.5% if you work there, and 0.5% if you live there. However, the cost of housing in Lansing is much less than the suburbs as well.

Check out my blog for info on some of the nieghborhoods: Adriane Lau: Lansing Real Estate
If you click on the "neighborhoods" tab it has photos, average prices, and info on several different areas

Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,659 times
Thank you very much!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 9,356 times
MM,

I have lived in Lansing on and off for the better part of 8 years now. I am currently trying to escape and move to Texas, perhaps Austin. Want to just switch?

If Lansing is simply a place to get you through this stage of your life, then it's not terrible. But as a prospect to live forever, I am growing tired of it very quickly. The jobs are hard to come by, property values are dropping, and the state as a whole isn't doing so hot.

If you want a diverse, liberal neighborhood, there is no better than the Eastside Neighborhood in Lansing proper. It's also the easiest in terms of public transportation (which is decent--the best in the state by far). The number 1 bus cuts right down Michigan Ave. on the Eastside and will get you to downtown jobs in state government or to MSU for school. The bus comes once every ten minutes all day long. Rents are very affordable and the best farmers market in the region is in the neighborhood.

I wouldn't live in Okemos, the west side (Waverly) or any of the outskirts as the previous poster stated. You will need to have a car to get ANYWHERE and most places in the Eastside neighborhood are walkable. Neighborhood association is very strong, very active in the community, and recently put up a community greenhouse in local Hunter Park. Housing stock might look a little downtrodden, but it's a pretty safe neighborhood and the most forward-thinking in the metro.

There's virtually no indie/alternative music scene here if you're into that sort of thing, but MSU has a pretty nice events center that attracts off-Broadway shows and some relatively well-known musicians. The city has a pretty good blues scene.

Downtown and Old Town Lansing have really been cleaned up and starting to get a critical mass of retailers and restaurants, but still a little on the slow side at night compared to much more vibrant downtown East Lansing (which is still very easily accessible).

Feel free to personal message me if you have any specific questions. I can answer them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan