Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,840 times

Advertisements

...after about a 3.5 year absence for grad school. I'm not sure how I feel about it - I kind of want to go somewhere else for a bit while I'm still relatively young and able to do so, but it's a lot nicer here than it's portrayed in the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Yep.

And you'll be wearing shorts in 4 months!

Woot!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
...after about a 3.5 year absence for grad school. I'm not sure how I feel about it - I kind of want to go somewhere else for a bit while I'm still relatively young and able to do so, but it's a lot nicer here than it's portrayed in the media.
Shhh...don't let on that Michigan is more than just a ghetto full of pimps, drug dealers, and abandoned houses in Detroit! They'll hear you over on the other forums and they might come here and spoil our little secret, namely that Michigan is actually a beautiful, diverse, and wonderful place to live. Then they would all want to come here and it would be ruined for the rest of us. Yaz, especially don't tell them over there on the Phoenix forum. Let them keep thinking that they are the only people in the world who have enough sense to live in "paradise" while the rest of us toil away here in hell...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
welcome back! Were kinda like the Tiger Woods of states. People loved us, now they dont really like us and talk bad, but eventually they will love us again! Just remember...even most of the people who live here dont realize what a great state this is! Get out this spring, summer, and fall and travel Michigan!!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Shhh...don't let on that Michigan is more than just a ghetto full of pimps, drug dealers, and abandoned houses in Detroit! They'll hear you over on the other forums and they might come here and spoil our little secret, namely that Michigan is actually a beautiful, diverse, and wonderful place to live. Then they would all want to come here and it would be ruined for the rest of us. Yaz, especially don't tell them over there on the Phoenix forum. Let them keep thinking that they are the only people in the world who have enough sense to live in "paradise" while the rest of us toil away here in hell...
TELL THEM. Perhaps they will bring jobs here so people don't have to leave the state to find Jobs.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Yaz, especially don't tell them over there on the Phoenix forum. Let them keep thinking that they are the only people in the world who have enough sense to live in "paradise" while the rest of us toil away here in hell...

I tell 'em that I'm from Michigan and 90% of 'em think that I'm from Detroit. Now I know how New Yorkers feel.....

Even Chicagoans who have ventured into MI remark how flat the entire state is and that there are no trees. The only water there is from 3 Great Lakes. I remind them about Lake Erie...... Maybe they should venture north of M-10.......

And hey all of you hygrogeologists, I'm aware that Lakes Huron & Michigan are technically one lake......

I love MI and AZ, I just didn't realize how much I dug Michigan until I moved. Spring is coming to y'all soon. It'll be 90 here while the snow will almost be gone for you. I always liked the daffodils and crokus(sic?) poppin' up through the white stuff.

It'll soon be time to drag the shanties in and make the switch from teardrops, waxworms and tip ups to weedless worms, daredevils and crawlers.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,092 times
Quote:
Shhh...namely that Michigan is actually a beautiful, diverse, and wonderful place to live.
So true. My wife went to U-M for grad school back in the 90s. I followed her 8 months after she left our native NY.

People couldn't believe that I was going to leave NY for MI. It was nothing but a great 5 years and I'm glad that I had a chance to live in the great state of Michigan!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM

128 posts, read 243,247 times
Default I miss MI!!!

I moved from MI almost two years ago (now in Utah), and I sooo miss the beautiful landscape! The UP is a little 'heaven on earth', and the coast, lighthouses, water, everything!

I miss my state, but mostly my family and friends that still live there.

And yes, there are still good things happening there, one of my best friends and her husband just had their bid on a house accepted yesterday!

So, not all of MI is going to hell! Oh wait, that's a town!

I hope that we can sell our home here in Utah and eventually move back, because it truly is a great state surrounded by great lakes!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM
YAZ

Hell, MI is a cool 'lil hamlet.

The Dam Site Inn has heard my gitfiddle.

I'd live there....

Utah is nice.

Love the hiking, camping, etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM

46 posts, read 102,533 times
Yes, the Great Lakes are awesome. It is great to spend summer days there - watching sunsets, listening to the waves crash on the shore, watching the boats and the numerous piers and lighthouses. All of the inner lakes are nice to have too since there are so many of them with many of them having public access. The weather here is usually pretty good May-September.. "Sometimes" April - though I do remember some snow still in late April and early May and I'm in the lower peninsula! October can also be nice. What I do NOT like is the cloudy, dreary, cold, blustery, icy winter weather.. As so many people have stated - it wears on you after a while. I love AZ and miss the blue skies, palm trees, and warm weather, especially this time of year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan