Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times

Advertisements

Mullet or Burt Lakes. Gigantic, sparkling inland lakes with half as many people on them as you'll find on the lakes in the Traverse region (Torch). Even around peak tourist season there is always plenty of room to play on these lakes, but there are also days when it seems like you have the entire body of water to yourself, which is an unbelievable feeling. These lakes are also part of a navigable waterway that stretches from Lake Huron to just east of the Petoskey area.......nearly the entire tip of the lower peninsula. More water. Less people. Heaven on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
Actually, I wanted to try and limit the discussion for this thread. A different one for where to buy a lake cottage in the UP would be great, but I was hoping to get everyone to focus a little.

Great thoughts about the glacial lakes. I have heard of Torch. Any others that are in that same category (glacial lakes)?
Thumb Lake in Charlevoix County.

Here is the Wiki link. Dont believe the remark about bullsharks or snakehead in the lake. What a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_Lake

(edit to add: thank you to whomever edited out the bull shark and snakehead entries on the wiki page)

Last edited by Perferator; 03-08-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Northman - why half as many people on Burt or Mullet? My impression is that both lakes waterfront is fully developed with cottages. Is it because not as many people put in at public access?

Someone mentioned Au Sable riverfront...how does the Au Sable compare to the Thunderbay River and Lake Winyah? I'm not all that familiar personally with either but certainly hear about Au Sable more, I'm assuming because of the fishing. Is one cleaner? Deeper? How about public traffic down river going past your property?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Northman - why half as many people on Burt or Mullet? My impression is that both lakes waterfront is fully developed with cottages. Is it because not as many people put in at public access?

Someone mentioned Au Sable riverfront...how does the Au Sable compare to the Thunderbay River and Lake Winyah? I'm not all that familiar personally with either but certainly hear about Au Sable more, I'm assuming because of the fishing. Is one cleaner? Deeper? How about public traffic down river going past your property?
I mentioned the Au-Sable. I was thinking more of above the dams where the lakes are, but not sure there are many houses now that I think about it. I know as it gets smaller near Mio, Grayling and such, there are more houses. The Au-Sable is very clear. I would probably prefer a good river because I could do a lot of floating right to my dock, and I love floating the river! A lake is awesome too though.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
What ever you do , find a lake that is clean , has a sand and or rock bottom , like the glacial lakes do. There is nothing worse than living on a mud hole, weed infested , polluted puddle in the middle of no where , just because the " price was right ". I know , been there done that.

Also , check into restrictions for docks , type of water power , and time s of usage. There are lots of local restrictions on some lakes , and as well the DNR and sub agencies have laws that restrict building new docks , so be forewarned. Riparian rights in Michigan is a big issue , it applies to all lakes , not just the Great ones.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,306 times
Mullett Lake, by far! beautiful, sandy bottom and part of the largest inland waterway in the state of michigan.

Mullett Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my opinion. Mullett is one of THE best inland lakes in the entire state...of course Burt lake is beautiful as well and a very close neighbor to mullett...Long lake of Cheboygan is a beautiful spring-fed lake.....Black Lake of Cheboygan is also big and beautiful, not as deep as mullett and some spots are not as sandy as Mullett, but still a GREAT lake to have a cottage on!!! I can't wait to spend much of my summer on these lakes

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM

14 posts, read 41,364 times
Glen Lake is beautiful, as is Crystal Lake, but they both have premium property prices.
Torch Lake is spectacular, but also pricey. Platte Lake in very nice, too.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM

92 posts, read 255,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Torch lake is about as good as it gets for an inland lake, and its close to Lake Michigan as well...There are others , but for the best water, look for a glacial lake. They are almost always long and not so wide, and in Michigan are north-south in the longest dem....Stay away from the mud bottom dying choked off lakes that are all over South Michigan. There are so many lakes that have weed problems, that have to be chemical treated .

Unfortunatly , it sounds like you want to x - out the best...the UP.
I completely agree with this information. Torch Lake is beautiful. And the best lakes ARE in fact in the UP. They are mostly glacial lakes. However, on another note, there is a lake in Allegan County in west Michigan called "Miner Lake." My aunt and uncle live there. I believe the lake is spring-fed and is therefore VERY clear. It's beautiful. I would definitely choose that lake if I could have a cottage on a lake. But, hands down, the UP has the best inland lakes...

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM

222 posts, read 810,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What ever you do , find a lake that is clean , has a sand and or rock bottom , like the glacial lakes do. There is nothing worse than living on a mud hole, weed infested , polluted puddle in the middle of no where , just because the " price was right ". I know , been there done that.

Also , check into restrictions for docks , type of water power , and time s of usage. There are lots of local restrictions on some lakes , and as well the DNR and sub agencies have laws that restrict building new docks , so be forewarned. Riparian rights in Michigan is a big issue , it applies to all lakes , not just the Great ones.
My parents, who live in Fort Wayne, own a lake cottage in Northern Indiana that is just like that! It gets worse (weeds, pollution, noise) every year and that's exactly what I want to avoid.

Also to everyone: I did not mean to put down the lakes in the UP. I know first hand how great they are, but for purposes of discussion (and my own preference) I wanted to limit the discussion to see if there are any that come close to those find bodies of fresh water. Sounds like many like Torch, Burt or Mullet. Anything further south that might not be as large but might be along the same lines? I also kind of like the idea of an inland lake that is near either Lake Michigan or Lake Huron.

Thanks again for the great discussion!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
For the most part , most of the inland lakes in South Michigan are ether dead , or about to be. Tis the truth ,though a lot of folks refuse to admit it....They start to change their mind when confronted with the cost to clean up the lake bottoms. Over the years most of these small lakes ( and some not so small ) , have become so choked off from natural water flow and exchange that they no longer function. Weeds like Asian Milafoil , and other non native plant life has destroyed our lake system.Ad in man made pollution , over population, and just plain raw sewage being dumped into the system , well you have a real mess.

many of the older cottages on these lakes do not have proper sewage removable. systems. septic systems do not work , because of the distance the cottage is to the lake. An expensive sewer, city type , needs to be installed...but there are little funding to do this, nor the will , for most of the cottages are week-end retreats and the Folks from In. and IL. have more important things to worry about . When they come up to the " lake" , all they want to do is play , not think about an expensive lake recovery project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan