Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,722 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Totally new to the forum, but it sure comes up in a lot of my web searches.

So, unlike a lot of posts here, I am actually very familiar with both Dearborn and Ann Arbor. I grew up grade school through about age 21 in Dearborn, spent some time in Ypsi, and ultimately ended up in A2 for the last 5 years.

So, I'm kind of confused as to what to do and just need some random opinions from some Michiganders.

I spent the last 4 1/2 months taking care of my Dad in Dearborn while keeping my apartment in A2. He passed away in August and I inherited the house I half (parents were divorced) grew up in (in Dearborn). I really don't want to move back to Dearborn, but it makes a lot of financial sense to do so. I don't really want to live in Dearborn or the house I grew up in.

There are a lot of really cool things about Dearborn, but I am the creative type and A2 suits me better. I do have qualms about somebody else living in that house or renting it and it getting trashed.

Any of you older and/or wiser folks (I'm 35) have any advice or found yourself in this situation? I am trying to decide between: moving in to the house, selling it and buying a house in A2, or renting it out and buying a house in A2. All of these options are possible for me.

I guess I'm wondering, does A2 get old? Will I regret letting that house go? Anybody have more opinions on the Dearborn vs. Ann Arbor debate?

I am very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:28 PM

261 posts, read 506,877 times
Ann Arbor hasn't changed much in the 42 years since I first spent time there. If you like it now, you'll always like it unless you yourself change.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 AM

165 posts, read 512,710 times
If you are going to stay in Ann Arbor then sell the house in Dearborn, DO NOT rent it out. I had leased my home in Flat Rock with option to buy for 2 years. Tenant took off week before xmas and I had to move back to MI, my son in law spent 4 days doing repairs and still had to hire a professional cleaning crew and had some of the rooms painted because of the mess and damage that was left. It took me over a month to get the yard cleaned up, and of course he owed money. Good luck....

Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 PM

50 posts, read 141,134 times
sell ME the house in dearborn and i pay like 250 a month for it. rent to own kinda thing! lol

Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
Tim_3_0_8,
I can totally relate to your situation and the emotions that are involved. I moved to Westland 5 years ago from Northville where I lived for 30 years, for cost savings, and while the cities are not far apart, they are quite different and I’ve been sorry since.
My advice is to follow your heart, which in this case, is to remain in A2 and sell the home in Dearborn. Renting homes no longer makes financial sense and certainly not emotional sense. The memories of the Dearborn home and your parents will always be with you and are no longer part of those walls. My advice, based on your post, is to sell the Dearborn home and remain in A2 whether it is renting or buying. At age 35, you have time to make up the cost savings and you will be happier for it. Perhaps a nice family will buy the home and have their own fond memories.
If the Dearborn home gives you joy and happiness, then keep it. Based on your statements, it sounds like it doesn’t.

Last edited by ASaxOne; 10-30-2011 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: fonts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan