Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 AM

42 posts, read 98,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Kalamazoo, Mt. Pleasant, etc.

Mt. Pleasant is a nice college town....approximately 16,000 attend Central Michigan University there...low cost of living...

A lot of people talk about the bad economy in Michigan...and it's true to an extent. BUT...going to college and being a college student...it's actually better to live in places where the cost of living is lower anyways.

The best places to be a student are in expensive places like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, etc....as you'd have access to good jobs after you graduate. But affording those cities while a student brings on another challenge altogether, one that you might get sidetracked just trying to earn survival money let alone getting to classes and focusing there.

Additionally, if you are in a Mt. Pleasant type of college town...it's not living and studying and being in Davis, California is going to bring in high paying Davis jobs to right away either...you'd have to move on from Davis or Mt. Pleasant or whatever other college town anyways.

All I'm really saying is, look for a good college town for college, if thats what you want, and let the rest fall into place in its own time. With the exception of you knowing exactly what you want to study right now, and then find a college that offers that program and known for it, etc.

Keep in mind that out-of-state tuition occurs if you are coming from out-of-state, and your tuition might cost a lot more. In that sense, you might want to look at your current state for their college towns. Also, MI isn't that great - flat, cold most of the time, etc. I always kinda regretted staying in MI for college...as it's pretty damn cold during most of the schoolyear. By the time warm weather finally comes, it's time to buckle down for exams, and then you don't see your friends for 3 months and then it's suddenly cold again when you see them again in the Fall.
yea Ann Arbor, East Lansing and Kalamazoo were the 3 towns she referred me to. fact is i have desire to stay where i am after the obvious happens, and it will be the same thing id have to do here anwhere else so i figure id look into diff places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan