Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM

42 posts, read 98,778 times

Advertisements

Ive recently had some personal event strike me and I was told to go somewhere start over get a job, start college ect. I was given a list of states that included, Arizona, Michigan, Delaware, Illonois, Ohio, Nevada, Oregon and others but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where would be a good place in Michigan to start fresh. I was told I would fair better in a college town most likely but can anyone tell me anything>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,568 times
Did a psychic give you this list or something? Sorry, this is just a really weird post. Oddly enough, it seems most of the states on your list are places hit worst by the economic crash. All very high unemployment. "Starting fresh" isn't easy to do without a job.
But to answer to question, if you want to move to Michigan, establish residency and start going to college, I'd suggest Kalamazoo, East Lansing, Ann Arbor or Detroit. It's not impossible, but it's not easy.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM

364 posts, read 877,613 times
You cant go wrong with Ann Arbor. It was just ranked as the 4th most livable city in America.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
Did a psychic give you this list or something? Sorry, this is just a really weird post. Oddly enough, it seems most of the states on your list are places hit worst by the economic crash. All very high unemployment. "Starting fresh" isn't easy to do without a job.
But to answer to question, if you want to move to Michigan, establish residency and start going to college, I'd suggest Kalamazoo, East Lansing, Ann Arbor or Detroit. It's not impossible, but it's not easy.
yes i was given the list by a guidance counselor and it was more oriented towards colleges and community colleges so i can start school. i know alot of the areas have been hit hard but she told me they also have some of the best schools. but I dont have alotta time left where i am due to alot of things My mom passed away mid feb, my fathers very ill isnt expected to make it past june. and i wont have a home then so basically i went to a psychologist and they told me to go to a different state see if u like it better and start over get a part time or full time job and go to school.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,005 times
Are you sure this is really the best advice for you? I had a counselor tell me once to actually go to a different city and stand on a street corner where she was certain something would happen to give me that "fresh start." I thought it was outrageous advice so not to be negative but just to ask if you feel good with what you were told by this person?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM

117 posts, read 367,675 times
I'm very sorry to hear that you have been through these difficult times with your parents.
Do you have any family or friends in other cities? I would say that might be the best place to try to make a new start. Having some kind of support network will make it easier to establish yourself. I think that is more important than just going to a place with a good school.

Over all, I do not think that Michigan is the best choice for a fresh start simply because the economic problems here are terrible and you will probably have a hard time finding work. I think you would find it easier to start fresh in a place with a healthier economy and more growth (like Texas for example).
Best wishes to you!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Are you sure this is really the best advice for you? I had a counselor tell me once to actually go to a different city and stand on a street corner where she was certain something would happen to give me that "fresh start." I thought it was outrageous advice so not to be negative but just to ask if you feel good with what you were told by this person?
with the idea of it yea, it did however sound alittle assbackwards tho.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyblue09 View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that you have been through these difficult times with your parents.
Do you have any family or friends in other cities? I would say that might be the best place to try to make a new start. Having some kind of support network will make it easier to establish yourself. I think that is more important than just going to a place with a good school.

Over all, I do not think that Michigan is the best choice for a fresh start simply because the economic problems here are terrible and you will probably have a hard time finding work. I think you would find it easier to start fresh in a place with a healthier economy and more growth (like Texas for example).
Best wishes to you!
ugh traveled to the south, Texas Florida, louisiana while i was growing up gotta say not a huge fan of the south. but i was looking into arizona.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Id look at Oklahoma or Texas. All of the plains states seem to be doing better than much of the country as well. Michigan is just too much of a risk if you have no job. The only economic advantage to living here right now is the low housing cost, but that doesnt mean much if there is no work. It sounds like youve been through enough without getting wrapped up in Michigans troubles. Good luck and God bless.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Kalamazoo, Mt. Pleasant, etc.

Mt. Pleasant is a nice college town....approximately 16,000 attend Central Michigan University there...low cost of living...

A lot of people talk about the bad economy in Michigan...and it's true to an extent. BUT...going to college and being a college student...it's actually better to live in places where the cost of living is lower anyways.

The best places to be a student are in expensive places like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, etc....as you'd have access to good jobs after you graduate. But affording those cities while a student brings on another challenge altogether, one that you might get sidetracked just trying to earn survival money let alone getting to classes and focusing there.

Additionally, if you are in a Mt. Pleasant type of college town...it's not living and studying and being in Davis, California is going to bring in high paying Davis jobs to right away either...you'd have to move on from Davis or Mt. Pleasant or whatever other college town anyways.

All I'm really saying is, look for a good college town for college, if thats what you want, and let the rest fall into place in its own time. With the exception of you knowing exactly what you want to study right now, and then find a college that offers that program and known for it, etc.

Keep in mind that out-of-state tuition occurs if you are coming from out-of-state, and your tuition might cost a lot more. In that sense, you might want to look at your current state for their college towns. Also, MI isn't that great - flat, cold most of the time, etc. I always kinda regretted staying in MI for college...as it's pretty damn cold during most of the schoolyear. By the time warm weather finally comes, it's time to buckle down for exams, and then you don't see your friends for 3 months and then it's suddenly cold again when you see them again in the Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan