Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Not as much as you would think. Some people will have nothing to do with the military regardless of the economy.

Plus, we don't want a military full of people that are only there for "jobs".
For now I will avoid the topic of motive among submariners on their first enlistment.

However speaking of sailors who re-enlisted, who were at their 6-year point or beyond; the primary rationale for re-enlisting was the money.

For many years, often I heard the discussion of how much we would be paid as a bonus for re-enlisting. I was among that discussion myself.

I got out at my 6 year point, I hated the Navy. I went to college. But after exhausting my GI-bill and looking at the job market, I re-enlisted for the economics.

Any sailor re-enlisting after 6 years, is only talking about, is only thinking about the 'SRB', the Re-Enlistment Bonus. During my career the highest SRB I saw was $60k for 4 years, however in 2001 when I retired they bumped the SRB cap to $90k. I know men who re-enlisted in 2001 who were given $90k SRB for re-enlisting.

Later in our careers at the 10-year point, the discussions turn. They become pension discussions. 10 years is the half-way point to a pension.

At the 10-year point, it becomes a 'crisis' for a sailor.

"Am I a lifer?"

"Can I honestly do this horrible job and live this lifestyle that I hate long enough to finish and get my pension??

I do not know what you 'want' from your military. But their conversations, their discussions, and honestly what is in their minds after 6-years is cash, and after 10-years is the pension.

I did 20+ years in the Navy. 14 were in the Submarine Service averaging 7-months of each year under. Submariners are very professional.

Patriotism only gets you into uniform. Long deployments, long periods of isolation, and the need to stay focused on job performance make patriotism wear thin.

Most of the time I was in-port was spent in rotating shift-work. Very few years was I allowed to take my annual leave.

When the discussion is between patriotism and professionalism, patriotism will not keep subs underwater. Only professionals can do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
-----In Vietnam,only 4 out of 10 troops serving IN VIETNAM itself were conscripts-----

Partly due to the fact the Marines only drafted for a very short time period.

Let's look at casualties( killed ) for the Army in Vietnam of non officers.

17,321 Regular Army
16,989 draftees

The big difference was the Marine Corps ( who drafted few
13,200 enlisted Marines
683 drafted Marines.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:03 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I think the military is respected.

You must not have been alive ( or served) during the Vietnam era.

(referring to poster WHIS2006 )

Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think the military is respected.
I think that depends on what you mean by "respect."

There loads of people who "respect" the military, but that in no way means they are willing or qualified to join.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:12 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
As my username implies I was only born in 1987 ... very few in my generation respect the military. Only 3 out of 450 kids in my graduating class went into the military (2 Marines, 1 Army).

Quote:
The big difference was the Marine Corps ( who drafted few
13,200 enlisted Marines
683 drafted Marines.
I recall reading somewhere that the USMC did not accept draftees period until very late in the Vietnam War, and even then because they were forced too. IIRC the Defense Department also had a hard time getting them to take draftees in WWII as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:14 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As my username implies I was only born in 1987 ... very few in my generation respect the military. Only 3 out of 450 kids in my graduating class went into the military (2 Marines, 1 Army).

Being only slightly older than you, I totally agree.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
People have alwasy turned to teh military duirng tough times. Many escaped bad enviroments liek my boether in law when he joined the ari force at 18 just out of high school. He credits it with chnaging his life ;altho he served in Korea on flights. I know quite a few who acknowledge its contribtuio to their life just as I do.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
There loads of people who "respect" the military, but that in no way means they are willing or qualified to join.
I agree with you there. I have had many people give me various reasons why they won't join the military, and many of them are serving their country in a variety of ways.

Rich

Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Being only slightly older than you, I totally agree.

It also depends on where you're from. For instance, I noticed the above poster is from NY, New England being one of the lowest regions represented in the Military. Over in San Antonio, people were joining in such numbers even before the recession that recruiter would show you the door if they asked why you wanted to join and they didn't like the answer you gave (i.e. college). I also noticed that exposure to the services plays into it alot. For example, in the down east area of NC where Camp Lejeune is, most people join the Marines. In Goldsboro, NC where Seymour Johnson AFB is, most people join the AF, in Fayetteville, most people join the Army. Some would say the south is over represented in the military due to culture, but honestly, i think it's just b/c that's where most of the bases are. Every state in the south has major military installation.

I think, with the loss of the draft, alot of younger people no longer have any direct exposure to the military or military personnel and as such don't have as much appreciation or respect for them.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
I think that depends on what you mean by "respect."

During the 70's and 80's it was very popular to openly show dis-respect to US servicemembers.

Today a lot of people act like they respect the military.

Right now if people are not 'qualified' to enlist, it is because the minimum qualifications have been raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues