Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM

47 posts, read 152,540 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

i have a question

my backround:
- i'm a green card holder
- i finished my High School diploma outside USA
- i interest to join with USAF

my question:
- am i need take GED class?

Quote:
Question: I have a GED. Am I eligible to join the military?
Answer: Each of the services strictly limit the number of high school dropouts (which includes GED holders) who can enlist each year. This is because years of military enlistment statistics have shown that this category of enlistees fail to complete their entire first term of military service at about twice the rate of those with a high school diploma or those with college credits.
The Air Force is the most strict on this matter. The Air Force allows less than one percent of annual enlistments to be recruits without a high school diploma. The Marines have the next highest standards. No more than five percent of Marine recruits can be GED-holders. The Army allows no more than ten percent each year, and the Navy limits GED enlistments to no more than five to ten percent each year.

There are always many, many more GED-holders who want to enlist than there are available slots, so -- even to be considered -- a GED holder must score much higher on the ASVAB, than a high school diploma recruit.

However, if a recruit has 15 or more college credits, he/she is in the exact same enlistment category as a high school diploma holder.

U.S. Military FAQ -- I have a GED. Am I eligible to join the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,301 times
What country did you graduate High School from. it makes a difference?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
What country did you graduate High School from. it makes a difference?
Indonesia

so, am i need to take GED Class?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times
Maybe not. It depends on the graduation requirements of your high school, also, it will depend on your ASVAB score. It will have to be a 50 or higher.

If you r diploma is not accepted you need college credits, not a GED. (15) 100-level or higher towards a degree. DMARIE can give you more specific info as she is an AF recruiter. Your local recruiter can best answer your questions. Feel free to bounce what they tell you off us hear.

(Funny, recruiters have a "rep" of lying to people to get them in the military, but in the current enviroment, they are much more likely to lie to a kid to keep them from joining the military.)

Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Maybe not. It depends on the graduation requirements of your high school, also, it will depend on your ASVAB score. It will have to be a 50 or higher.

If you r diploma is not accepted you need college credits, not a GED. (15) 100-level or higher towards a degree. DMARIE can give you more specific info as she is an AF recruiter. Your local recruiter can best answer your questions. Feel free to bounce what they tell you off us hear.

(Funny, recruiters have a "rep" of lying to people to get them in the military, but in the current enviroment, they are much more likely to lie to a kid to keep them from joining the military.)
Thanks macjr82 for ur answer
Ok, now i'm waiting for DMARIE..haha..

Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
Alright alright everyone....

You can send your foreign diploma to the below company- they will evaluate it and MEPS will take their recommendation as proof that you have a high school diploma. (unless of course, they say it is not equivalent to a diploma)

We always recommend our applicants use-
SpanTran Educational Services, Inc.
7211 Regency Square Blvd., Suite 205
Houston, TX 77036-3197
Phone: (713) 266-8805
Fax: (713) 789-6022
Spantran - Home

If you prefer to find an evaluating agency closer to home, or shop around for the best price- you can use any one listed on http://www.naces.org/. If they say you are good to go, and you are a high school graduate, Meps will have to accept it.

The same rules apply for college transcripts. If anyone has 15 or more college transcripts, you can save the money on the diploma and just get the transcripts translated. Remember, 20+ college credits = an extra promotion out of boot camp!

Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 PM

I want to also address one more thing before you spend a bunch of money on the transcripts. If your social security card or green card say "For work only" or "For School" only... you can not join. You must have ten years from issue to expiration on your green-card, and an unrestricted social security card.

I just don't want you spending $200 on getting your diploma translated to find out you are the wrong kind of resident to join.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Alright alright everyone....

You can send your foreign diploma to the below company- they will evaluate it and MEPS will take their recommendation as proof that you have a high school diploma. (unless of course, they say it is not equivalent to a diploma)

We always recommend our applicants use-
SpanTran Educational Services, Inc.
7211 Regency Square Blvd., Suite 205
Houston, TX 77036-3197
Phone: (713) 266-8805
Fax: (713) 789-6022
Spantran - Home

If you prefer to find an evaluating agency closer to home, or shop around for the best price- you can use any one listed on NACES® - The Standard of Excellence for Credential Evaluation Services. If they say you are good to go, and you are a high school graduate, Meps will have to accept it.

The same rules apply for college transcripts. If anyone has 15 or more college transcripts, you can save the money on the diploma and just get the transcripts translated. Remember, 20+ college credits = an extra promotion out of boot camp!

Good Luck!
but i have transcript of my HS diploma

is that okay?

Quote:
I want to also address one more thing before you spend a bunch of money on the transcripts. If your social security card or green card say "For work only" or "For School" only... you can not join. You must have ten years from issue to expiration on your green-card, and an unrestricted social security card.

I just don't want you spending $200 on getting your diploma translated to find out you are the wrong kind of resident to join.
ok, i will answer this one by Primary Message

thanks for ur all answer

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM

If your transcript/diploma is from a foreign school that MEPS hasn't dealt with before, MEPS has no way of knowing if it is a valid school, or if they have an acceptable curriculum, ect... so if MEPS hasn't put someone in from your foreign high school before, you'll have to send it to a naces service to get it evaluated.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
If your transcript/diploma is from a foreign school that MEPS hasn't dealt with before, MEPS has no way of knowing if it is a valid school, or if they have an acceptable curriculum, ect... so if MEPS hasn't put someone in from your foreign high school before, you'll have to send it to a naces service to get it evaluated.
ok thanks for ur answer

i get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues