Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM

559 posts, read 1,467,099 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there is a way I can do this but my husband and I are stationed in Minot and it has to be the WORST Air Force Base anywhere. I cannot find any kind of employment here and we are going to start defaulting on our student loans unless I learn how to beekeep or work on oil rigs. There are no professional, decent paying jobs anywhere around here and I have been looking for almost a year and applying to everything! I would like to know if anyone knows how my husband can get out of Minot! When he can cross train, if he can request to leave due to financial difficulty, something, anything. If I have to live here for another 7 years, which seems to be the norm, I am going to go insane!! He joined the military in October of 2008 and we have been here since October 2009. I HATE IT more than I ever thought I could hate a place where I lived. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:53 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,705,713 times
If he's a first termer there's a base of preference (BOP) re-enlistment option at the roughly 36 month mark. Talk to the MPF to get the exact window, you might be at to apply at the 30 months mark.

Another option is for him to volunteer to Korea.

You could join the military yourself, lol.

I'm not aware of any financial hardship. Only a sick secondary dependent hardship which isn't too hard to get approved if you really have a terminally ill family member living elsewhere who depends on you.

Even if you get something, you're probably still going to be there for another half year so hang in there.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,119,055 times
Perhaps your husband could request financial counselling.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:15 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
I am sorry. Military wives have it bad sometimes, but that's the price you pay. I wonder if the base has any job assistance for wives? Could you come up with an online business? Someone I know has an online business where she custom monograms children's clothing, beach towels or whatever.
I don't know how the student loan deal works, but if you live in a place where there are no jobs, what are you supposed to do? Have you asked about a pause in paying?
Best of luck to ya.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,604,005 times
If you had to quit your job because of a military move, you are entitled to unemployment. At least you were a few years ago when I read about it.

Since these are student loans, you can request a forbearance because you can't pay.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Captain_hug99- that is still the case- but her benefits have surely expired by now.

I'm sorry OP- they will not move your husband because you can't find a job. If that was an acceptable reason to move, there'd be bases in areas all over the country with no one stationed at them.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,355,658 times
Call the financial organization that has your student loans. If you can't pay due to various types of difficulties, you're entitled to forebearances or deferments. Trust me, I know. I have student loans from 1988 that I've never been able to pay on, due to financial problems. They've been bought out and consolidated, and I've gotten various types of forebearances and deferments throughout the years. Right now I'm on an unemployment deferment through the end of January. If I don't have a full time, permanent federal goverment job by then, I'll have to get another one. So call them and see what type of deferment/forebearance you can get. It will take a lot of stress off of you.

As for getting a job, are you good at selling things? You can go to yard sales/thrift stores and put things on eBay to sell to bring in more income.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,919 times
Like others I would suggest the forebearance.

Go to the NAF employment office and try to get any NAF job you can. Yes it will SUCK, and yes I know the BX/AAFES places pay crappy but you will be eligible to apply for federal employment jobs on the base after a certain amount of time as a NAF employee. I knew someone who slung burgers and fries at Burger King in the BX for a year so she could apply to work in the Travel Office and get a much better paying job with better hours.

And yes, I know, again, that the NAF job will SUCK, I moved to an armpit of a base right after I graduated from college and ended up doing temp work and lifeguarding for six bucks an hour. I ended up enrolling in the local technical community college and deferring my loans.

Unfortunately you are learning that being a military spouse can sometimes, and often if you are in a specialized field that does not move well, mean that you get stuck with a crappy job or no job. Sometimes its because there is no work and sometimes it happens when you have kids and there is no daycare available or none available in the evening or night (say you are a nurse and just moved and can only get night shifts but your husband goes TDY a lot or works a rotating schedule or is deployed).

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,163,587 times
A) Don't be picky about where you work. Anything is better than nothing, even if that means flipping burgers.

B) Have him check with his First Sgt to see what his options are. He'll likely referring him to financial counseling.

Go from there and then decide what's the next step. There's too many variables to give you a step by step outline for paying off your debts.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM

863 posts, read 2,995,014 times
North Dakota stands out in my mind as one of the states I've heard about with the "lowest" rates of unemployment. This table shows it was 4.1% in June. I'm not trying to make any comments as to why you haven't found work, but only say that if you think that it's better elsewhere, you need to watch the news.

Google - public data

Sounds to me like you also just don't like the place. I get it. ND doesn't sound like a place I'd like to live either. Best to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues